Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2019, 04:57 PM

LS jersey, jacket for the tall and scrawny?

After perusing @bicycletricyle's thread on rain jackets, the current Rapha sale, and riding in the wet yesterday, I'm curious if anyone can recommend long sleeve jerseys and/or lightweight jackets for the tall and scrawny.

I'm 6'4", 185#, 15.5/35 dress shirt, with truly skinny forearms.

I need an XXL in Castelli for the length, but then the arms are floppy. I almost wonder if there are "pro" cuts available...

...monkey-wrench added: bonus points for non-exorbitant prices. Rapha's current sale prices or the Twin Six jackets on sale are about my limit.

Thanks for any hints!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Castelli sizing is the absolute worst.. in fact I have a pair of thermal long bibs I should put up for sale due to their ridiculously short legs.

Giordana Silverline jersey I have is baggy (especially the arms), so I am not a fan. Other LS jerseys I have are probably too old to be relevant, but none of them were particularly good.

My other relatively newish one is a "Pearl Izumi P.R.O Escape Thermal Cycling Jersey" It seems to have enough arm length and not baggy in size Medium, I bet a Large would do ya fine. I'd say that's the best fitting LS thermal jersey I've bought.

I wear similar sized shirts (15.5/34.5) but 6'1" and 170ish (I order extra-slim fit in dress shirts.)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Last seasons Pearl Izumi Barrier Convertible Jackets you can find on sale for ~$50 now may work for you - tight body long arms. I can just fit into a Med @5'11"/159lbs in the body with plenty of xtra arm length, so a L or XL may work for you.

If you can find a newer Kucharik Merino long sleeve for sale, those might work too - really long and slim in the body. Pretty plainjane/old school looking but functionally the Merino is great for fall/winter/early spring.

Last edited by MagicHour; 01-06-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:09 PM

Castelli Gabba in short sleeve for the right torso length, then the nanoflex arm warmers. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:14 PM

I'm exactly those dimensions and have had good luck with Bontrager RXL 180 and 360. I think those have been superseded, but worth a look.

Alternatively you could write to foxwear.net and get yourself a custom jacket for less than you might think.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Everything is connected

These folks are great to deal with.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/?gcl...SAAEgJkRvD_BwE
Old 01-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Subscribed.

I'm a hair over 6'4", 187 lbs with (extra slim fit) 16/36 dress shirt. Typically rock medium jerseys and large bibs. When it comes to L/S jerseys, I'm super used to having short sleeves & slightly short length, for the sake of having a non-baggie fitting torso.

Winter jackets are the hard part, as it's pretty vital for sleeves to be appropriate length...... and since I'm in the market for a new one, I'm interested in suggestions too.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM

For Aerotech, this one: https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/tall...ng-jersey.html might be a workable option, but the fact that they only give the chest measurement as a fit dimension worries me.

Most of the time here, it's warm enough that my "winter" outfit consists of a heavyweight Craft baselayer and a short sleeve jersey over it, or maybe a baselayer and the aforementioned Castelli XXL long sleeve and I just put up with the flappiness. A Gabba and arm warmers might work, but my biceps are as scrawny as my forearms, so arm warmers don't usually work all that well. I've wondered about putting in some velcro or snaps to attach them to the jersey short sleeves...

@wkeller, I might have a Castelli jacket for you if you're interested. Too warm for here in SoCal, but the fit is reasonably good (if still a bit flappy).

Last edited by mhespenheide; 01-07-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 PM

I have been really pleased with the Giro long sleeve thermal jersey.
I am about 6'1" and 150lbs and wear the med with a long sleeve base layer under it.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 PM

PI for long arms. I hope they never change.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM

I should add in, for the sake of other tall skinny guys, I like the baselayers from Rab and Craft Sportswear. Perhaps it's the fact that they're both not American companies, but their size-large baselayers are more trim or even next-to-skin. Thumbs up to both companies from me.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
PI for long arms. I hope they never change.
Does Pearl Izumi have different cuts for different classes of jerseys ("pro", "select", etc.)? I picked up a large PI jersey and while the sleeves are long enough, there are inches of room to spare around my wrists.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Does Pearl Izumi have different cuts for different classes of jerseys ("pro", "select", etc.)? I picked up a large PI jersey and while the sleeves are long enough, there are inches of room to spare around my wrists.
Maybe. My pro jacket and pro rain jacket are perfectly snug. My Elite jacket is a large and loose at the wrists (and loose everywhere else also).