Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Anyone have problems with US Ebay scammers?

I'm well aware of the ebay scammers with locations in Asia. I'm wondering if they're starting to pop up with US addresses. Yes, I know all of the details below are saying it's a scam. Nothing to worry about though unless I pay.

I bid on a pair of shifters and wasn't sure about the seller to begin with. No need to worry though, because I can just refuse to pay if it doesn't seem legit. They just joined two weeks ago and listed a few other items with the shifters (camera body and stereos). The shifters had the most vague description of the bunch and were the only item to have watermarked photos (the watermark doesn't match the username). They were also listed as used even though the photos showed new shifters in the box.

I won the auction and messaged the seller politely saying I just wanted to verify the item due to the reasons above. His response was "It's me." I messaged again the next day telling him I'll pay if he can send a real photo of the shifters without a watermark. All his other items sold, so I suppose I could wait to see if he gets feedback (assuming he doesn't open an unpaid item case against me).

Curious if anyone has encountered this with US based sellers. Ebay pretty much always sides with the buyer, but I'm worried I'll get an empty box if I pay and have to deal with making a claim.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:02 AM

Some of the scams I have seen do have USA or other non-Asia addresses.

If it walks, talks, looks...regardless of address.