Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Administrator

filing a complaint to USPS - a rant...

fair warning: this is just me ranting...

i'm totally fed up with the USPS.

wife and i are both very busy with work and kids and both hate "shopping". avoid the malls at all costs, the chaos of target. etc - so we order most things online and have them delivered.

usps has been awful lately. i work from home a decent amount, and notice i rarely have the same carrier deliver mail two days in a row. seems there is no "regular" guy who might take ownership of having a good route.

today, i was expecting three packages, all marked as "out for delivery today - on time" via tracking number, though they all left the local post office at a differnt time, oddly. these are all regular mail, no sig required, mind you/

two packages got delivered, left on the porch.

the carrier's new trick - if they dont get time to deliver all packages is to update the tracking to "notice left - no secure location available".

as mentioned there were two other packages from the USPS left on the porch, and the one that was not delivered was small enough to fit in the mailbox.

obviously the carrier marks it as such to avoid the blame of not delivering and meet whatever quota/metric thy are tasked with.

if this happened once in a while, i would not be so aggravated, but it is a monthly occurrence lately.

obviously no notice was actually left, and i have a security camera on the porch and can review the recording to verify no attempt was made to deliver the third package.

this strikes me as fraudulent activity IMO.

think i'll get anywhere with a complaint? i'm tired of the extremely poor service.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 PM
ZhugeLiang

give it a day or two...
Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
give it a day or two...
oh, i'm certain it'll be here tomorrow. happens every time.

it just annoys me that instead of admitting they are not going to make the delivery schedule, they fudge the tracking info. that;s just not right IMO.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 PM
mentholated

since you have the tracking info, you can mark each package to be held at the post office. so instead of waiting for it to not get delivered, you can just go pick it up at your convenience. if you dont do a ton of mailorder type of stufff, its the next best thing to a po box. and free.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 PM

See your postmaster.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
See your postmaster.
that sounds like a good idea.

i totally get it, and understand if they cant meet the delivery date specified, it's just the "cover up" of marking it as unable to deliver that bugs me - it's an outright lie, and happens too often.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I can always tell when my regular USPS or UPS drivers are on vacation.

UPS leaves most packages at bottom of front stairs (350’ driveway). There are a couple of packages he knows are special and “hides” them near the basement door.

USPS always brings whatever doesn't fit in the box to the front door.

Sorry for your misery.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 PM

I have noticed USPS out delivering packages at odd times, yesterday (holiday) for example. I’ll bet they’re seeing increased volume (partnered with Amazon to complete some UPS deliveries for one) and previous money saving staff cuts have come back to bite.

It’s so unusual now to take longer than 4-5 days to get a package I don’t sweat extra day or two. A complaint might get the job done or it might bring down heat on an already drastically overloaded delivery person. One tactic might be to ask the mail carrier when he/she comes around. You probably won’t get a good answer but the message should be understood.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 PM

We had the same scenario, the mail person wouldnt leave a package saying nobody was home when they attempted to leave it. One of us was home the entire day though, so we know nobody knocked. This happened a lot at our former address, we've since moved, though.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:33 PM

I think they are doing this to avoid penalties from Amazon and other e-retailers. Usually Amazon ship via UPS and then the last leg is outsourced to your local PO. They tried to mark as delivered even if they are late to avoid penalties.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

I also find it super annoying when they do that, if you can't deliver just dont say anything. Don't put a bs excuse.

I have had it say, delivered and no package till next day.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Vendor

My house is literally 1700 feet from our cities Post Office. Same street! And I had someone leave a note saying they tried to deliver it and it was the THIRD TIME they tried. I never got notice 1 or 2. I immediately went to the PO and asked to speak with the manager of the branch. Mind you, the notice said 12:29pm. I went in there at 1:14pm. I was home the entire time!!! The time the computer said and the scan said were totally different AND in a different part of town!

When they scan things, it leaves a GPS trace. I didn't know that but this branch manager told me all these tricks they have now. So he told me that it was clear the carrier was lying. Especially since there was no other scans for the package. Not #1 or #2. Just this so called third one.

He took and held the package when it came back in and that carrier no longer works in our town. Or so I was told.

My house being so close doesn't have a dedicated carrier. So we get mail at random times and with a bunch of carriers. They pick the person with the lightest load for the day and gives them our street. I bet anything that's why it happened. That carrier was pissed they had to take our street too.

USPS and every other shipper just doesn't care. I think they are fed up with being treated badly BUT they are slammed by us, the consumer cause they give us poor service! It's a circle of BS.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:19 PM

I have the same problem, most often with wheel or frame boxes. The delivery person just doesn't want to bother with them, so will leave a notice in my box that the package can be picked up at the PO 4 miles away within a 3 hour time frame that's not convenient for me. I sign the form and wait another two (at minimum) days for delivery. Simply laziness on the part of the delivery person as far as I can tell, and USPS is the enabler.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
since you have the tracking info, you can mark each package to be held at the post office. so instead of waiting for it to not get delivered, you can just go pick it up at your convenience. if you dont do a ton of mailorder type of stufff, its the next best thing to a po box. and free.
+1. This goes for every major carrier.

These threads come up over and over again, this is always the best solution.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:08 AM

The best solution is to have the package delivered. We have paid for the service and expect it.