Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 04:46 PM

The Tour? It's A Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I agree...pro comments on their paid for stuff is always interesting. Get Taylor alone(been working on his and his mom's and dad's bikes for along time. Taylor still let's Jim at Vecchio's wrench on his bikes)..and he is very honest.

BUT marketing, win on sunday, sell on monday, but like above post..website/shop floor all about discs..but not in the pro pelOton..
We all know since it's inception the Tour was a publicity stunt that turned into a marketing tool. It's important for bike makers to be apart of it but who wins doesn't hold the value you believe. Like NASCAR, the win on Sunday, sell on Monday dies along time ago. Canyon, Trek, Specialized, they all have to be in the show in name only for the recognition, that's all. The bread and butter isn't halo bikes anyway.

Add to that, viewership of the Tour in America is very small and dropping, it's a niche sport with a very terrible image unfortunately. Bike makers get more mileage out it through hype ads than the actual viewing if the Tour.

Those still believe doping is gone and even those of us who know it's not follow the riders anyway, nit the bikes. So, what does it mean for a bike maker to win? That their bike is best? Play along with me Tator, this is out of love.

Ok, I'll go up to the lectern and call of the winning bicycles by year. Ahem...

So from 1999 to 2005 Trek was the best bike. What’s that? Ok, no bike was the best for seven straight years. Seven years a black hole huh? Ok, onto the next.

In 2006, BMC was the best bike. Yep, best bike, right there, I give you the BMC. What’s that? Oscar Pereiro? Who is that? What a muddles mess gang, somebody get me some white out and I’ll put Pinarello in there. Ahem, Pinarello, best bike.

For 2007, wait, let me check so I don’t have to redo this. Did it stick? It did? He was dirty though, right? Got it, it ain’t stealing if you don’t get caught. So. 2007, Trek was the best bike.

2008 Cervelo was the best bike and if you had something else obviously it was junk, cause no TDF win.

2009, dang, I hate to keep asking, but, did it stick? It did? Even though…? OK Trek back on top, best bike.

Step aside, I got this, 2010 Trek dominates once again with a superior bicycle compared to any other brand. They won the TDF as proof that they are the best baby, the best! What’s that? Really? C’mon, no way? For crying out… Hand me the white out. Ahem, a clean rider named Andy Schleck has won on the best bike, a Specialized bicycle. Are you sure he was clean? Whatever, we’ve got more best bikes to go.

For 2011, wait, what? C’mon, it stuck that he won and he seems to be a nice guy! What, his BMC is ugly? An atrocity? You wouldn’t be caught out in public on it? Well good sir, it was the best bike of 2011. Good day sir! The nerve of that guy. These are the TDF best bike rules.

Now for 2012, Hey! OK now, who threw that? Who threw it!?! “I think it was that guy over there”. Cover me, this only gets worse. So, with a one two with Wiggins and Froome, Pinarello, “he’s got a shoe, duck!”, OK , let’s move on!
Well, I think we’ll stop here, I think we all get by what it means for a bike to win the TDF.

I know of a few that have stopped watching it but I will watch the Tour and do enjoy it and like to see all of the new bikes too. I just keep it in perspective and enjoy it for what it is, the WWE of cycling. If you hate marketing hype, I suggest you look away for most of it because most cutaways are just that.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 PM

Odds Just Got Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide;

Man, the Factor looks the best to my eye, but largely [B
because it's both fairly traditional and doesn't have giant logos plastered over the wheels.
[/B]I agree that the conservative look of the Factor is nice and I have a soft spot for light blue bikes.

* News just in, like clockwork, Froome is using the "kidney defense", lol. Froome is getting a lot of heat, Factor rider Romain Bardet gave a good interview about Froome.

Quote from Romain Bardet: “We lack transparency. Cycling's existence is at risk if measures aren’t taken to address this. Froome does the test in September and, just by chance, we learn about it in December. The season starts without any decision being taken. We’re ridiculous, we’re a laughing stock"

So your favorite bike may actually have a shot!

* http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bard...g-is-going-on/

* https://cyclingtips.com/news/report-...neys-argument/

* http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro...lbutamol-case/
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 PM

Some cool bikes but...

There are not enough pro-tour teams on Campagnolo!

And too many Treks and Spec-Ed bikes. They may be nice bikes but just have no style...they look too boring to me.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Man, the Factor looks the best to my eye, but largely because it's both fairly traditional and doesn't have giant logos plastered over the wheels.
I'm liking Astana's Argon 18 most for much the same reason (relatively level top tube, no curves, ondas or swooshes, and even less fat than the Factor down tube-wise). Take away the eight Corima stickers and the white flecks of advertising around the cockpit and that's a good-looking ride.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post

And too many Treks and Spec-Ed bikes. They may be nice bikes but just have no style...they look too boring to me.
I donno..3 teams and only one sram..for a company as big as sram, I'm surprised..maybe their recalls have actually hurt them..
Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I donno..3 teams and only one sram..for a company as big as sram, I'm surprised..maybe their recalls have actually hurt them..
Doubt it has to do with recalls and more to the fact that Shimano is simply huge compared to the others. (over $2B in sales). And Sram's focus seems to be more on CX and MTB where it dominates (at least it seems that way to me but I don't have any data)

I like the simple paint / graphics of the AG2R Factor and the Trek Segafredo
Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM

Ugly Stick Contest, I Give You Lapierre

We know the Dope De France doesn't determine what is the "best" bike, but it can be used to pick the ugliest. Lapierre, ugh! Wind tunnel be damned, that's just atrocious.

* Even Tator has to admit that this bike with disc looks way better (poke firmly in ribs). And Marcel Kittel won like what, four stages last year with it? Nice looking bike.

* Marcel Kittel would have won on any bike, rim or disc.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 PM

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post

The traditional diamond frame is being assaulted by the wind, as in aero development has begun to reign supreme as an influence in design. Hence that Lapierre above. But, I've got good news.

If Froome is indeed put out, the dog turd bent Pinarello falls with him and the two runner ups from last year were on traditional looking frames, the Factor and Cannondale. Neither on Campagnolo, but hey, you can't have everything!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
We all know since it's inception the Tour was a publicity stunt that turned into a marketing tool. It's important for bike makers to be apart of it but who wins doesn't hold the value you believe. Like NASCAR, the win on Sunday, sell on Monday dies along time ago. Canyon, Trek, Specialized, they all have to be in the show in name only for the recognition, that's all. The bread and butter isn't halo bikes anyway.

Add to that, viewership of the Tour in America is very small and dropping, it's a niche sport with a very terrible image unfortunately. Bike makers get more mileage out it through hype ads than the actual viewing if the Tour.

Those still believe doping is gone and even those of us who know it's not follow the riders anyway, nit the bikes. So, what does it mean for a bike maker to win? That their bike is best? Play along with me Tator, this is out of love.
Pts snipped

NASCAR-Don't you believe it. Even tho the ONLY thing 'Chevy' on these cars is the label on the hood(the cars are all hand made) and the $ from GM..NASCAR yokles still yell about 'FORD, CHEVY, even TOYOTA(yikes!)...

You are right about watching Euro-pro racing in the US...more people watch X games than the TdF..WAY more..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ap_14_nascar_fans_nt_130222_ssv.jpg (25.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM

Old Days Are Gone

Quote:
Pts snipped

NASCAR-Don't you believe it. Even tho the ONLY thing 'Chevy' on these cars is the label on the hood(the cars are all hand made) and the $ from GM..NASCAR yokles still yell about 'FORD, CHEVY, even TOYOTA(yikes!)...

You are right about watching Euro-pro racing in the US...more people watch X games than the TdF..WAY more..
NASCAR is dying a slow death in attendance and viewership and the old marketing model fell apart years ago. People pull for the driver over car brand. And the win one day sell the next died in the eighties. Nobody back then was running out buying a turd Chevy Lumina because Almendinger won in it in Martinsville, lol.

It's not even an issue with pro cycling. In pro cycling they use throw away halo bikes, the bread and butter come from lower end models and it doesn't matter who wins, brands just have to be in the show for print and web ads.

Here's the kicker Tator. We agree that the Tour is a sham and just a marketing tool and you hate that bike and component makers bombard you with ads and hype, well, the Tour is their super bowl, I advise you not to see it because every "special segment" is about some doo dad you don't want or need but they have to sell. Again, what bike wins is irrelevant to what is best and what sells best. That war is won in shops, on the net and in ad copy.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:57 AM

It's Worth A Re-Read

Quote:
We know the Dope De France doesn't determine what is the "best" bike, but it can be used to pick the ugliest. Lapierre, ugh! Wind tunnel be damned, that's just atrocious.

* Even Tator has to admit that this bike with disc looks way better (poke firmly in ribs). And Marcel Kittel won like what, four stages last year with it? Nice looking bike.

* Marcel Kittel would have won on any bike, rim or disc.

I think you missed this too. Marcel Kittel won four stages on that bike above. Was it the best bike? Better than all those rim brake bikes behind him? The bicycles at tis level have nothing to do with outcomes, Fromme/Sky would have won on that ugly Lapierre above. Add to that, that bike is so ugly even a tour win wouldn't garner many more sales of it, again they sell more models down market too like the rest. They all just have to be on the show for ad copy.

We all know that these guys are juiced, just enjoy the show, the only thing the Dope De Tour vindicates is that we will justify immoral behavior if it entertains us.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Giant and Factor all day.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Like This

I'm partial to Canyon bikes, they may get my money yet. After so much red this Movistar black/blue/white looks good:

Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I'm partial to Canyon bikes, they may get my money yet. After so much red this Movistar black/blue/white looks good:

What makes it look good is the SR EPS..doh!!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 AM

Ha!

Quote:
What makes it look good is the SR EPS..doh!!
And those matching color Boras! (Pssst, bike and wheels come in disc too, shhhh!)