Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I kinda dig the PSA's, but I do wish that people would be more specific in the title -- to include size, at least. Location or source would be nice, too, but really the size.
I like the idea of members providing size in the title, that would be helpful.

And thanks to Paceline for not changing anything. This forum is more open and member friendly than some out there that have imposed archaic rules that have only served to turn them into ghost towns.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:52 AM
v a n i l l a

PSA...to me they are clutter ... that bike YOU think is great? I could care less. Sure, I can skip it. but guess what? my classified just got pushed down even further.

What i see with PSA is the separation between purposeful versus opportunistic buying.

Plenty if you folks have enough parts to build five bikes. PSA goes up...gets you interested, you jump in and buy. Opportunistic.

Meanwhile, the OP has been searching for that hard to find xyz for years...purposeful.

There just isn't any way (nor should there be) to reconcile this with a forum policy.

You want that frame? Then prepare to pay to get it. Free market and all of that.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:20 AM

I used to find PSA's annoying. Clutters things up. Then I clicked on one per chance and ended up buying it. Boy is it a score.

So I'll shut my pie hole on that topic.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 AM

wow, amazing all this. I personally dont like the PSAs or think they at least belong in a sub forum. but i dont care enough... it is what it is.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 AM

PSA's

My bike purchases thanks to PSA's here
Kirk Terraplane
Merckx MX Leader
Seven Axiom
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 AM

There Are Otther Forums That Changed Classifieds, To Ill Effect

There are still only 3 PSAs in the first page of the Classifieds today. There are 5 WTBs, the rest FS.

From posts here it seems some want Paceline to change policy for purely selfish reasons, to not share auctions they are looking at and to not allow anything make their own post go lower.

I would wager that if your FS post keeps getting pushed off the front page, it's something few want or the price isn't right or both. So the last thing we would want is something like that cluttering up the page either.

Anything Paceline would do to keep your post with that stem that doesn't fit anything that you want way too much for would be to the detriment of the spirit of the forum.

Again, there's only 3 PSAs there now. The genesis of this complaint is purely selfish driven.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:47 AM
v a n i l l a

It's organic. Just like the forum. While I'm not a fan I'm Not losing sleep on PSA / no PSA.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
The genesis of this complaint is purely selfish driven.
It would be nice if a discussion topic could play out on Paceline without the personal jabs.

If I actually had the power to change anything on Paceline, it wouldn't be PSAs but the crummy way some people treat each other while discussing super unimportant topics like Classified ads or frame tubing.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Ae, C'mon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
It would be nice if a discussion topic could play out on Paceline without the personal jabs.

If I actually had the power to change anything on Paceline, it wouldn't be PSAs but the crummy way some people treat each other while discussing super unimportant topics like Classified ads or frame tubing.
No one here is treating you bad. You're taking it way too personal.

The mods say the Classified will stay the way they are and tomorrow will be a new day. Hopefully warmer so we can all get outside.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
No one here is treating you bad. You're taking it way too personal.

The mods say the Classified will stay the way they are and tomorrow will be a new day. Hopefully warmer so we can all get outside.
I'm sure you don't think that referring to someone as "laughable", "aggressive" or "selfish" could possibly be rude in the discussion of a forum policy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who does.

It was a forum suggestion. If I had pointed out some problem with the blue background some of you would have found a way to make it personal.

And I do not feel "picked on". I feel ashamed of some of the company I keep.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Gotta Be Tougher Than That

Quote:
I'm sure you don't think that referring to someone as "laughable", "aggressive" or "selfish" could possibly be rude in the discussion of a forum policy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who does.

It was a forum suggestion. If I had pointed out some problem with the blue background some of you would have found a way to make it personal.

I guess I had a hard enough life to where such slights just roll off of me like water and I re-engage to get my point across.

And again, Paceline has to be one of the most tame bicycle forums I frequent. Props to Paceline crew and members for that. Step out into other cycling forums (I won't name them out of respect, PM me if you want t know the names of a few) with your OP and post it verbatim there and get back to me on how they turn out.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You are completely free to not write, post, and then comment in highly subjective threads that will obviously elicit opinions very different from your own from post #2 onward if you are so unhappy with the company.

Or, you can just....
Old 01-14-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
You are completely free to not write, post, and then comment in highly subjective threads that will obviously elicit opinions very different from your own from post #2 onward if you are so unhappy with the company.

Or, you can just....
Everyone is completely free to post or not post whatever opinions, I had just rather thought that those opinions should be about the topic and not the usual personal attacks and passive aggressive Paceline "not insulting enough to get banned" baloney.

If you suggested we change the coffee brand in an office we both worked at and someone called you "selfish" for your suggestion, how would that go over? That's pretty aggressive, crummy behavior. But it is something so commonly tolerated on this board that people will defend the right to be rude.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:03 PM

Is This Real Life?

Quote:
Everyone is completely free to post or not post whatever opinions, I had just rather thought that those opinions should be about the topic and not the usual personal attacks and passive aggressive Paceline "not insulting enough to get banned" baloney.

If you suggested we change the coffee brand in an office we both worked at and someone called you "selfish" for your suggestion, how would that go over? That's pretty aggressive, crummy behavior. But it is something so commonly tolerated on this board that people will defend the right to be rude.
Change the coffee brand? How would we get over it? How about easily.

Through your efforts, this thread has now ceased to be about bicycles and this board and has devolved into your feelings and ironically you're now being what you're claiming to be, rather rude to the board and members thereof.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Hi Kontact,

I've thought about your postings lately and i would like to offer a genuine, constructive response:

First off, if I offended you personally by calling your original posting philosophy "laughable", i do genuinely apologize, it wasnt my intent to insult you or treat you crummily. I said that in absolutely dead pan serious fashion.

if you and i were having a drink in person following a ride and you said to me: "Hey Nick, you know, i think we should ban PSA listings because i think they may artificially inflate the price of rare, sought after items that some members may be interested in, and who may have worked hard to find on their own" - I would have chuckled a bit, and told you you were probably right, but we cant ban PSAs because of that.

The next thing i'd like to mention is that it's difficult to moderate a forum of this size. we have members from their teenage years to their late 70's, maybe older. from minimum wage workers to millionaires, and in all walks of life and everywhere in between. the vernaculars are different, the common practices are different, and what may offend you is just fun friendly "ribbing" to someone else. you say that if you could change anything here it would be "how crummy people are treated". Gosh, that sounds easy, but it is NOT!

just like my example from myself above, i was joking with you, or i thought i was calling your idea laughable, but you were offended. it was just a difference of intentions, how do you moderate that?

on the topic of PSAs, i think they are more a benefit here than a detriment. yes, sometimes they clog the forum, and yes, sometimes they are worthless, but they have done a lot of members a lot of good over the years too. i know for certain there are a few retired folks here who have sizable bike collections and surf the net for deals and interesting frames daily. if they find something interesting to them, they post it here as a PSA. it's part of their daily routine and their hobby - is it right to tell them that they cant do that here anymore?

the mods here have been at this for a good long time, and we do take a look at how we do things regularly to see if there are any changes that make sense for the bulk majority of the forum. i think we also try very hard to make it a comfortable, safe place for everyone. it's not easy, we're not perfect, and we cant police every posting though.

again, if i offended you, i'm sorry - not my intention, but if you took it that way - my apologies to you.
Closed Thread