Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:44 AM

We should have a sub-forum for things I like.

And a sub-forum for things I don't like.

In fact, the whole world should mirror my preferences. Why doesn't it?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol.

sorry kontact - but the concept that PSA's here are bad because they may "out" an item you are bidding on is literally laughable. further that others dont "deserve" to find the item because of all the work you did with research and searching is even funnier.

the sad truth is that the internet killed the good old days of "barn finds".
What is "literally laughable" is that a non-member can post an Ebay ad and have it PSA'd here, but that same person couldn't register and immediately post their item for sale on Paceline.

What a bizarre double standard to say that the primary purpose of Paceline is not the classifieds, and then choke the classifieds with links to non-member sales.

Do I ever call your opinions "laughable", BTW? Or is that one of those "community" things I keep hearing about? Rude.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I’d be more worried about having such an aggresive tone in most posts while promoting your brand in your signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
This is a great comment.
What post of mine in this thread is "aggressive"? Or is this just taking a personal swipe at me because you disagree with the topic?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Calm, Steady There, It's Not You, It's Just How The Internet Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
What is "literally laughable" is that a non-member can post an Ebay ad and have it PSA'd here, but that same person couldn't register and immediately post their item for sale on Paceline.

What a bizarre double standard to say that the primary purpose of Paceline is not the classifieds, and then choke the classifieds with links to non-member sales.

Do I ever call your opinions "laughable", BTW? Or is that one of those "community" things I keep hearing about? Rude.
I think you're taking this way too personal. It is indeed laughable because the very nature of internet swap and sales sites is that it's an open to all venue. To say you want to hide a sale ad or offer is just funny, cause they aren't designed or intended to work that way.

To believe that you alone posses and own and have sole rights to a public auction just because you found it is to not understand how this works. Public. Auctions. That first word there, it's public.

If I go by history I would say that I click on quite a few PSA thread and enjoy them. They are helpful to for those of us who are tall or short (me) by posting bikes or frames we might have missed because they are more rare.

PSAs have shown some interesting finds here. It's what sites like this should be about, the sharing of bike stuff.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I’d be more worried about having such an aggresive tone in most posts while promoting your brand in your signature.
This, Plus, yes, PSA's are a good thing. If Kontact doesn't want to deal with an enthusiastic community of bike lovers, I would suggest finding another place to hang out on the internet. I'm pretty offended by the OP but whatever, that's enough negativity for one day.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:32 PM

It's definitely winter around here isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
I think you're taking this way too personal. It is indeed laughable because the very nature of internet swap and sales sites is that it's an open to all venue. To say you want to hide a sale ad or offer is just funny, cause they aren't designed or intended to work that way.

To believe that you alone posses and own and have sole rights to a public auction just because you found it is to not understand how this works. Public. Auctions. That first word there, it's public.

If I go by history I would say that I click on quite a few PSA thread and enjoy them. They are helpful to for those of us who are tall or short (me) by posting bikes or frames we might have missed because they are more rare.

PSAs have shown some interesting finds here. It's what sites like this should be about, the sharing of bike stuff.

This thread wasn't "personal" to me and I am not upset about PSA, I just think they clog up a website that people seem concerned about getting clogged up. We have plenty of discussions about the way the forum functions, especially all the classified traffic, and I attempted to illustrate why PSAs might not be 100% positive for everyone. I have personally never had a Paceline PSA conflict of any type.

But some of the nasty responses to the OP are much more illustrative of certain endemic attitudes on Paceline than how the Classifieds work.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
It's definitely winter around here isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Oh don't get me started about that SM-G900V phone you got there mister! But yeah, this thread, it's kinda silly but there it is. Hard to believe folks don't get how auction work. And yes, it's cold as heck outside.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
This, Plus, yes, PSA's are a good thing. If Kontact doesn't want to deal with an enthusiastic community of bike lovers, I would suggest finding another place to hang out on the internet. I'm pretty offended by the OP but whatever, that's enough negativity for one day.
What, exactly, was offensive to your person about the OP? I thought I was writing an opinion about how some feature of the forum functions, and you are responding like I'm insulting your religion.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:49 PM

You Left Out The Part Were You Want To Hide Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
This thread wasn't "personal" to me and I am not upset about PSA, I just think they clog up a website that people seem concerned about getting clogged up. We have plenty of discussions about the way the forum functions, especially all the classified traffic, and I attempted to illustrate why PSAs might not be 100% positive for everyone. I have personally never had a Paceline PSA conflict of any type.

But some of the nasty responses to the OP are much more illustrative of certain endemic attitudes on Paceline than how the Classifieds work.
Currently there are only three, three PSAs in the classifieds first page so that non issue is dead.

Folks aren't being mean, I think there is genuine surprise at the belief that a public internet auction item shouldn't be allowed to be shared.

And as far as bicycling boards go in the winter time, Paceline is doing as well if not better than the rest.

If you find a problem, it's like that old cliché, "be the change you wish to see" versus stirring the pot. After all, it's just bikes. I think I'll go look at that chocolate crème pie, just look at it, then hit the rollers.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna eat some of that pie, then hit the rollers.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
A couple of things:
2- Like many things here, if you don't like the PSAs, just skip/ignore them
BK
Roger that - CHOICES!

It's a forum for cycling topics (mostly). It's what we do here. You have a choice to read them or not. They aren't polluting the forum to advisedly affect my experience.

My biggest beefs here, as on any forum, are personal attacks on others and folks trying to shut down a legitimate topic because they are annoyed or bored by it. This is one of the better forums around, and frankly, these are not major issues here.

Last edited by berserk87; 01-13-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Currently there are only three, three PSAs in the classifieds first page so that non issue is dead.

Folks aren't being mean, I think there is genuine surprise at the belief that a public internet auction item shouldn't be allowed to be shared.

And as far as bicycling boards go in the winter time, Paceline is doing as well if not better than the rest.

If you find a problem, it's like that old cliché, "be the change you wish to see" versus stirring the pot. After all, it's just bikes. I think I'll go look at that chocolate crème pie, just look at it, then hit the rollers.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna eat some of that pie, then hit the rollers.
Where did I say I want to "hide auctions".

And yes, some people are being personally insulting about this. It isn't a big deal either way, so no one needs to invite me to find another board or find the OP "insulting".

Quote:
My biggest beefs here, as on any forum, are personal attacks on others and folks trying to shut down a legitimate topic because they are annoyed or bored by it. This is one of the better forums out there, and frankly, these are not major issues here.
+1
Old 01-13-2018, 01:03 PM

I'll play

I'm not a fan of PSA's as well after having had several local Craigslist purchases impacted after a member living over a 1000 miles away outed the items. In both instances the bikes were originally accurately priced based upon their age and condition but the sudden barrage of emails caused the seller to raise the price several hundred dollars. Neither bike was purchased by one of us although it would have been amusing to read the follow-up posts if someone had bought the Serotta with the bent fork that wasn't obvious in the pictures shown in the ad.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM

I kinda dig the PSA's, but I do wish that people would be more specific in the title -- to include size, at least. Location or source would be nice, too, but really the size.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 PM

I like the PSAs as they often make me aware of something I wouldn't have known existed otherwise, like the Performance frame mhespenheide posted and brewsmith facilitated for me. Thanks guys.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...th#post2263715

I try to post things that are a bit uncommon or not that well known, like the Croll frame that was picked up by Luwabra last week. Hope I get another chance at it when/if he decides to retire it from his fleet.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ighlight=croll

The bigbike PSAs thread has been pretty popular I think. No reason that similar threads for other sizes couldn't be started. I don't think they need to be stickies.
Closed Thread