Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 04:33 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
You're right and I don't get it. I'm going to go out on limb here and say Paceline tends greying to grey and older folk just don't like change even when it's better, they get set in their ways.
Get off my lawn.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
It's a winter ritual to get on forums and debate the most mundane aspects of our leisure activity. Disc brakes have been a boon for this exercise as they provide so much misinformation tied with so much misdirected passion.
Regarding the bold, that passion obviously goes both ways. There is plenty on the pro-disc side as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Had their been an Internet when STI first arrived we would be having a similar discussion, I assume.
Perhaps so. But one fundamental difference between the two is that installing Ergo/STI levers doesn't require an entirely new frame and fork. I could put a set of Ergos on my 1966 Frejus and the only modification I would need to do is to spread the rear triangle....retrofitting it with discs (I cringe typing that) would be an entirely different proposition.

Quote:
Some good points for their use has been made by even those biased against them and a convert or two may be in the making.
I doubt that anyone is going to be converted by this thread....
Old 01-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Regarding the bold, that passion obviously goes both ways. There is plenty on the pro-disc side as well.

Perhaps so. But one fundamental difference between the two is that installing Ergo/STI levers doesn't require an entirely new frame and fork. I could put a set of Ergos on my 1966 Frejus and the only modification I would need to do is to spread the rear triangle....retrofitting it with discs (I cringe typing that) would be an entirely different proposition.

I doubt that anyone is going to be converted by this thread....
Oh, I know they won't, I was just ribbing Tator and Gummee, see my titles! Gotta have some fun with these guys.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Get off my lawn.
Thanks for that!
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Awesome

[QUOTE=Gummee;2295413]
Quote:
I have discs on 3 mtn bikes and my SSCX. I do not have them on my CX bikes (yet) but am probably caving in this summer.

Planning on having a pair of custom AL CX bikes built w/ TAs and discs. If I don't, I'll keep racing my canti CX bikes and swap out to my rigid 29er for our couple of mud races. Seemed to work last season... I can tell you it wasn't the braking holding me back.

I probably won't have them on my pure road bikes any time soon. Don't see the need.

M
Kudos on the CX racing. Tough sport, I have friends who do it here in NC and they love disc for CX and road. We've got serious hills here. They mostly do indoor interval training and CX course training. They use the road mostly for form building base miles.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 PM

So, here are my final thoughts on this subject:

There are variety of different viable brake options. For hub brakes, their are disc brakes and drum brakes. For rim brakes, there are single or dual pivot side pulls, centerpulls, cantilever brakes, linear pull brakes, etc. There is no perfect brake - each has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the selection of one type over another a matter of trade-offs. Which is best for any particular situation depends on weighing the importance of the various pros and cons.

All that being said, while there are certainly some advantages to disc brakes for road riding, there are also some disadvantages. For the the majority of road riding that I do, and indeed most road riders I see doing, the disadvantages of disc brakes outweigh their advantages. Your situation may be different.

But here's my main point: It is false to say that the type of brakes used by other people doesn't affect me. That's because the commonality of one type product affect the availability (and cost) of competing products. Here's another example: Back when most bikes had forks with 1" threaded steerers, there was wide availability of 1" threaded forks on the market. Now that most bikes have larger diameter threadless steerers, there are far fewer 1" threaded forks available. Sure, there are still a few available, but there is much smaller selection, and one may have to pay more if they need to go to a custom builder for fulfill their needs.

Right now, one can get a wide variety of different rim brakes: Inexpensive low-end rim brakes, expensive high-end rim brakes, standard mount or direct mount rim brakes, boutique ultra-light rim brakes, aerodynamic rim brakes, high leverage or low leverage rim brakes, etc. If disc brakes become ubiquitous on road bikes, surely the variety of different types of rim brakes available will be greatly reduced. At that time, if I want to use a particular type of rim brake that is no longer available, then your choice of disc brakes WILL have affected me.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Oh, I know they won't, I was just ribbing Tator and Gummee, see my titles! Gotta have some fun with these guys.
I LIKE discs. ...in the right application.

I don't see road bikes as the right application

M
Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Keep Turning The Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I LIKE discs. ...in the right application.

I don't see road bikes as the right application

M
Some do and some don't and that's ok, keep riding Gummee.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
At that time, if I want to use a particular type of rim brake that is no longer available, then your choice of disc brakes WILL have affected me.
Well it's a robust market for high quality parts here on Paceline (and if the hypo you pose comes remotely close to true it will be even more robust). Stock up!
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM
ergottWheels

Give me an example of a road bike you'd like to get within the next 5 years that you think is in danger of being phased out in favor of disc brakes.

I wholeheartedly believe that the two technologies will coexist for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by ergott; 01-15-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Give me an example of a road bike you'd like to get within the next 5 years that you think is in danger of being phased out in favor of disc brakes.

I wholeheartedly believe there the two technologies will coexist for the foreseeable future.
Agreed, ride what you like. I do not see an unavailability of rim brakes in the foreseeable future just because some people are riding road disc.

This is a hobby for most of us. I enjoy building up framesets and riding different bikes in my spare time. I love my rim brake bikes and they have all served me well, but the hydro discs with ice tech rotors have been the best braking I've experienced on a bicycle thus far.

They enable me to try out some fancy carbon wheels without destroying them or having them delaminate on a long decent. I also like that I can run 28s on a road bike without worrying about them fitting under the caliper of a rim brake.

I saw an earlier reference that implies that those who need the latest and greatest are easily led by marketing and nothing else. I can assure you that isn't the case here. I do not read too much marketing drivel and having worked in sales and studied marketing I am fully aware of the process. I do however like to try things out myself and determine if it is right for me.

I find it is about choice and I am glad I can choose for myself what I'd like to ride on any given day. Discs are just one of those choices as are rim brakes and nobody is forcing anybody to ride either of them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Some do and some don't and that's ok, keep riding Gummee.
I agree, but the marketers constantly trying to sell 'the next best thing since sliced bread' aka discs to me is getting old.

I get it that people need to sell bikes, but c'mon!

Oh, and follow Rule #5 paraphrased to say 'shut up and ride your bike more.'

M
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post

I wholeheartedly believe that the two technologies will coexist for the foreseeable future.
If you want a Giant Propel, for example, they are disc only as of this year.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you want a Giant Propel, for example, they are disc only as of this year.
And who here was contemplating one, but regrets missing out on the rim brake model?

I just don't think the anti-disc demographic is losing out on their choices as fast as they are worrying about. There are more choices now, not fewer.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM
formerly Landshark_98

because "need" and fun are not the same thing. These are fun in January. Veloflex roubaix tubulars will be fun in July
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spectrum 650b.jpg (143.3 KB, 53 views)