Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 PM

I think he should take his lineage and build bikes to compete with FOCUS and Canyon. The Germans are coming and he alluded to German engineering in-house with Duetti....rhymes with Gaulzetti :-)

https://www.focus-bikes.com/us_en/42...-race-105.html
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Vendor

The Flaanimal frameset (with all its braze-ons, split seat stay, and fancy paint) is listing for $1350 so I think $2500 for a Taiwan-built road bike is doable. I have a Serotta that I bought years ago so I'd love to see at least some form of the brand come back, but I don't think it carries much influence these days. Serotta has been out of the market for quite some time now. Bruce Gordon tried doing a line of Taiwan built bikes and I don't think that ever went too far.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
The Flaanimal frameset (with all its braze-ons, split seat stay, and fancy paint) is listing for $1350 so I think $2500 for a Taiwan-built road bike is doable. I have a Serotta that I bought years ago so I'd love to see at least some form of the brand come back, but I don't think it carries much influence these days. Serotta has been out of the market for quite some time now. Bruce Gordon tried doing a line of Taiwan built bikes and I don't think that ever went too far.
It's easier today than when BG built his bikes in Taiwan. My wife actually has a BLT touring bike from Bruce and its a solid bike. I get the comparison which is valid. I thought many many years ago that Ben should have started an entirely separate Co. to make asian built bikes. He could have made a good living and sold a pile of bikes to people looking to ride the hell out of them.

Think Tom Ritchey as an apt comparison.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM

As always I reserve the right to be wrong about everything.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Serotta was always late to the party once frame materials moved away from steel. Their quality was unparalleled among small production facilities. However, they entered each new frame materials market long after their contemporaries scooped up most of the, first Ti, then carbon, market share. Now overpriced outsourced alloy bikes??

For Ben's swan song, a limited run of handbuilt steel frames would be fitting.
Call them:

BASTA!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 PM

At a certain point, there's no guarantee that a past viable business can continue to be so.

IMO, there really isn't any reason to purchase a Serotta-built (by Ben or whomever) machine. Who would buy one and why? A certain allegiance to the man? The brand name doesn't really hold any cache except to a select few at this point. The quality of bikes in general has increased dramatically since Serotta's inception. Offerings from Big-Box bikes (Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale) are incredibly capable, solid machines. Even in less expensive forms like the Allez or CAAD12... In addition, there is an incredible number of high-end options to choose from. WHY would someone buy a Serotta (or whatever he chooses to call it) instead of a Sachs, Kirk, Bedford, Elllis, Strong, Moots, Zanc, Spectrum, etc?

The supply of high-quality bikes far exceeds the demand at this point. I can't imagine that he could sell more than a handful of bikes in a given year. Why go to the trouble? It may be time to consider another business plan.

Texbike
Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Texbike -- All good points.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 PM

Serottas are fine bikes, but used ones are available pretty cheap. Here's a Colorado CR frame and fork that hasn't sold for two weeks on NYC CL at $525: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/b...433215922.html. And here's a fully-equipped Nova for $495: https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/b...438462546.html.

Ben needs to accept the fact that the Serotta name will never regain the cachet that it used to have.

Last edited by fiamme red; 01-04-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:38 AM

and here's a 56cm colorado for $220: https://westslope.craigslist.org/bik...436633053.html
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Vendor

Before speculation and misinformation run rampant, why not contact the Serotta Design Studio directly with your questions? Perhaps a Forum member could interview Ben Serotta for the Builders Spotlight?
They are also listed as an exhibitor at NAHBS. That would be a great opportunity to see what he's "up to" and report back to the Paceline.

Last edited by RedRider; 01-05-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
Before speculation and misinformation run rampant, why not contact the Serotta Design Studio directly with your questions? Perhaps a Forum member could interview Ben Serotta for the Builders Spotlight?
They are also listed as an exhibitor at NAHBS. That would be a great opportunity to see what he's "up to" and report back to the Paceline.
ease up there RedRider. This is a cycling discussion forum and discussion is allowed. Seems that a vague social media post with a caption of "I'm back full time" and a link to a website with zero information on it is an invitation for speculation to me.

to your point though, i definitely plan to go to nahbs this year and talk to Ben about what he's up to and re-invite him to participate here if he's interested.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
It's easier today than when BG built his bikes in Taiwan. My wife actually has a BLT touring bike from Bruce and its a solid bike. I get the comparison which is valid. I thought many many years ago that Ben should have started an entirely separate Co. to make asian built bikes. He could have made a good living and sold a pile of bikes to people looking to ride the hell out of them.

Think Tom Ritchey as an apt comparison.
Slogan: "The Dentist's Motobecane"
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 AM

The '08 crash is what killed Serotta. He picked the wrong time to expand operations. This new venture doesn't interest me at all.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 01-23-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

While I agree with Nick that Ben’s new venture is certainly relevant here, I also agree with RedRider that the amount of speculation and negativity are kind of silly.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of anti-Ben venom that comes out whenever the name Serotta comes up.

Ben is (was?) a talented bike designer who built a company and brand that many folks really liked and were loyal to (me included).

As a business person, his vision/plan for his company did not pan out.

Let’s try to keep the conversation factual and objective and leave the vitriol out if we can.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 AM

I'm not here to defend Ben and he certainly doesn't need my help...that said I have a thought about the "failure" of his business.

I often read that Ben's company failed and I suppose it did because it's no longer around but at what point is a biz a success or failure? Ben started a company and it was operational for 41 years as I recall. I'll bet some reading this thread weren't born when he hung his shingle. Forty one years is a damn long time.

Can one say with such conviction that any business that lasts that long is a failure?

dave