Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Sales look healthy to me:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-quarter-2007/

As does their market cap.
Both of which have nothing to do with market share.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:14 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Both of which have nothing to do with market share.
True. Market share can be a misleading indicator of a product's or company's health. There are segments of the phone market Apple has no interest in chasing. Revenue and unit sales and price per unit are, perhaps, more relevant metrics?
Old 12-22-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
That tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight.
You must work at an Apple store. LOL!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
True. Market share can be a misleading indicator of a product's or company's health. There are segments of the phone market Apple has no interest in chasing. Revenue and unit sales and price per unit are, perhaps, more relevant metrics?
You are making a convoluted argument.

There's Iphone, Android, and everything else. Android dominates the market, and has been increasing their market share for most of the past five years. Iphone sales have been mostly decreasing. Google makes phones, but the majority of their Android revenue comes from other manufacturers via phones and tablets. Revenue doesn't compare. Unit sales are what defines the market data. Price per unit only applies to the Google phones, see above.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:56 AM

I’ve been postponing the OS update on my iPhone for about 3 months. At 12:01am on Thursday, the speakers stopped working. Hard reboot didn’t work. Nothing did. Reluctantly updated the OS and magically everything works great again.

I worked for a ODD manufacturer. We knew when products were going to fail...
Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 AM

haven't read all the replies, but i'll say this: android does the same.

the last os update on my older droid (which was only a couple of years old) caused such bad battery drain that i had to go buy a new phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I knew it. You can try to explain it from an engineering standpoint, but you cannot explain why every fall when a new device is introduced why your old device suddenly slows down.

sumbitches.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-slow...ttery-issues/#
Old 12-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
haven't read all the replies, but i'll say this: android does the same.

the last os update on my older droid (which was only a couple of years old) caused such bad battery drain that i had to go buy a new phone.
I haven't had that problem, then again I have a modern phone, aGalaxy S8. What I can't stand about the feature updates is that they reset critical app settings. The last time it messed with Android Auto and Waze, something I depend on every day. It took me hours of digging to change the settings back to where it all worked again.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Classics Fan

Looks like Apple is now offering cheap battery upgrades.

Which begs the question why, if the only degradation over time is the battery, isn't the battery easier to change for the regular consumer...

and this goes for many phone manufacturers. The Galaxy was doing swappable batteries a few generations ago, but I think many have swapped to sealed designs... under the auspices of waterproofness.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Looks like Apple is now offering cheap battery upgrades.

Which begs the question why, if the only degradation over time is the battery, isn't the battery easier to change for the regular consumer...

and this goes for many phone manufacturers. The Galaxy was doing swappable batteries a few generations ago, but I think many have swapped to sealed designs... under the auspices of waterproofness.
iphone 6 and above. Allowing $50 off a new battery - so, a new battery for $29.
However, I have no idea how to go about changing it - hope they dont expect me to pay them to do it.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:50 PM

Apple should be offering the replacement for free....

There's a reddit user who used an app to clock to processor speeds on his iphone 6. After IOS11 update, the phone was running at 600mhz, versus the 1200mhz prior to IOS11. My iphone 6 is utterly useless to me after the last 2 updates. When I open the mail app (Outlook), it takes about 10 seconds for the messages to appear after a long pause of blank white screen.

Apple could have avoided this by being transparent and saying upgrading your phone to the newest IOS will degrade performance. How can they push a single IOS when every model phone has different chips? That's like a Windows driver applying to all versions of Windows (XP, ME, NT, Win7, Win8, etc).

I always let my buddies with newer phones talk me into the damn IOS upgrades. "Yo the new IOS has cool Emojis!"
Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

iPhone SE user here. I've had it since April, 2016 and it is still running iOS 9.3.3. I've had absolutely no issues with it and it is still as snappy as day one- most likely because I have it jailbroken. Battery can last 2+ days as I'm on wifi at home and work.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
iphone 6 and above. Allowing $50 off a new battery - so, a new battery for $29.
However, I have no idea how to go about changing it - hope they dont expect me to pay them to do it.
Look on eBay for battery replacement kits. They come with the necessary tools. There are instructional videos on YouTube. If you can install a rear derailleur, you have the technical know-how to change an iPhone battery so long as you are careful and patient.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:39 AM

Apple apologizes and says 'they never never do anything to shorten the usefulness of an older model'.

So now that they have asked us to suspend disbelief, will they start providing software updates to older models which were previously discontinued? Someone is still using their 5s right?

And about that older Mac I have.....

I believe the French Gov is planning to sue them too.

How do you know a corporate spokesman is lying? Their lips are moving.
As for androids doing the same thing, there is never one cockroach.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 12-29-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:20 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
will they start providing software updates to older models which were previously discontinued?
This is the key question I don't see anyone pressing Apple for.

I read that class action lawsuit against Apple for fraud is starting up- my hope is that a part of that lawsuit forces Apple to clean slate the OS to original clockspeeds.

It's obvious what Apple is doing and glad it has finally been exposed.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
This is the key question I don't see anyone pressing Apple for.

I read that class action lawsuit against Apple for fraud is starting up- my hope is that a part of that lawsuit forces Apple to clean slate the OS to original clockspeeds.

It's obvious what Apple is doing and glad it has finally been exposed.
I totally disagree. Seems like a good compromise between speed and battery under needed conditions. I have a 6S and have not noticed any issues.

Jeff