Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 AM

Velo Classique!

Busy weekend--involving a long drive to the DC area to attend a funeral of a close family friend.

Afterwards, we were driving around a little, and went through Purcellville, VA--(which is on the WO&D trail)--and literally stumbled upon Velo Classique, and spent a little time talking with Wayne Bingham, and ogling bikes. Regretfully I did not take any photos, but there were some really, really nice bikes, including his personal Ellis and Weigle. Here's an article from Pez--you can see the Weigle:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/featur...veloclassique/

I kind of "knew" him from the Classic Rendezvous list--but it was a treat to meet him and look at a bunch of bikes in one afternoon--some fairly rare, all of them beautiful. If you get a chance, stop by!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 AM

Very cool!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Busy weekend--involving a long drive to the DC area to attend a funeral of a close family friend.

Afterwards, we were driving around a little, and went through Purcellville, VA--(which is on the WO&D trail)--and literally stumbled upon Velo Classique, and spent a little time talking with Wayne Bingham, and ogling bikes. Regretfully I did not take any photos, but there were some really, really nice bikes, including his personal Ellis and Weigle. Here's an article from Pez--you can see the Weigle:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/featur...veloclassique/

I kind of "knew" him from the Classic Rendezvous list--but it was a treat to meet him and look at a bunch of bikes in one afternoon--some fairly rare, all of them beautiful. If you get a chance, stop by!
Good friend of mine wrote that article after I introduced him to the shop. It is very interesting place. Did he still have the white della santa on display. That one is drool-worthy.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:35 AM

I've heard great things about that shop. If I recall, it's on the W+OD trail. I'm not that far away, but always forget to swing by when I'm in NoVa.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:51 AM

Lat time i went there that bike was still there, maybe 2 weeks ago.... sad is too big 4'ya! :P Have my eye in the paletti for years of years... :/

He is the rep for var and somec for the US. Actually you can get a custom made Somec like in a couple of months.

IMO that's one of the best shop in the country to get NOS stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Good friend of mine wrote that article after I introduced him to the shop. It is very interesting place. Did he still have the white della santa on display. That one is drool-worthy.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Yes--it was hanging up high, so I couldn't get a real good look at it. I thought it was one of the Della Santa frames as the article confirms.

I did see the new Somecs that he will take orders for too.

Lots of treasures though--where else are you going to see not one but two Ron Coopers, a Mercian Vincitore, a couple of Holdsworths etc etc. And stuff I had never seen, like a complete Keiren bike (sorry forgot the maker).

The great thing though--he is like me--an admirer/aficionado of the older stuff, but his current ride (the Ellis) was a modern build including some pretty zoot Miche wheels and such. And his Weigle--I now understand why there is so much interest when one gets posted here.

Definitely make time for a visit if you are in the area.

Last edited by paredown; 10-16-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:02 AM

Make time and bring money :P
Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

If you're on the other coast, a good stop for classic stuff is California Bikes in La Jolla.

Its been a while, but the last time I was there, they had Assos rims along with all the rest of the stuff

M
Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I've heard great things about that shop. If I recall, it's on the W+OD trail. I'm not that far away, but always forget to swing by when I'm in NoVa.
At the very end of the trail, around the corner to the left.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Interesting... "Jolla" is misspelled Proper names dont follow the rules tho.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Velo Classique and Wayne Bingham are a great resource. I am 150 miles away, but try to stop by a few times each year just to see what's in the store. I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the spares that Wayne has been able to come up with. My Meral Randonneur bike was built to use an Atax expanding seatpost. As they are pretty rare and proprietary I once asked if he had any as I would like to put one on the shelf as a spare. He didn't have any complete posts, but he had every single part for them, so I was able to put together a complete spare parts kit. Awesome.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM

A lot of NOS simplex stuff aswell.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:07 PM

You just missed a vintage/classic ride on the W&OD that started at Velo Classique last Saturday.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 PM

?? there was a ride? interesting.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 AM

Wayne's a great guy and a superb resource for all things vintage-y, as well as newer Campagnolo, Miche, VAR, Cane Creek, Somec, etc. Well worth a stop at the shop if you're ever in Northern VA. I try to drop by every couple of weeks, he always has a minute to chat and show you his latest finds.

The new Somec and Lynsky stuff he has is worth a trip in itself. Ask to see his Bruce Gordon NAHBS bike if it's not on the showroom floor. Or his perfect Raleigh Superbe Pro. Or the Lemond Team Pro built by Roland...