Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I just (finally?) received my Tailfin rack, anyone else get one?

My needs have shifted a bit, as things tend to do in fourteen months, but I'm eager to mount it up and give it a try.
Did you get their bag as well? I am interested in hearing about how you like it. Since your needs have changed, consider me first in line to buy yours.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
Did you get their bag as well? I am interested in hearing about how you like it. Since your needs have changed, consider me first in line to buy yours.
I did get two bags. I'm going to fit it to my Potts in hopes that it will indeed clear a large 32mm tire. That said, both my wife and I have acquired big tire/fendered/racked bikes that will likely make this rack superfluous. I'll let you know.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Anyone actually ride this yet and have a report?

Definitely a neat concept but I'd still be worried about the handling and the 1000g difference they're talking about seems relatively meaningless once you actually fill the bags, assuming the bags hold much. I wonder if they can hold a 15" MacBook pro + lunch, pair of shoes, clothes, etc..

If they can't hold that I'm not sure what kind of "tour" they're targeting.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM

I finally took the opportunity to try out the Tailfin. It was actually a situation perfectly suited to the system's convenience, a local frame builder and his wife hosted a potluck so my wife and I considered it appropriate to ride over on our bike's that he'd built, i.e. not my BMC MonsterX already set up with racks.

From in the box to on the bike in about 5 minutes, no kidding. Rode 3 whole miles with ~5 lbs of risotto, a growler of beer and a bottle of grappa. Very rigid system and easy to secure and remove their bags. Yes, the fender is more novelty than functional fender, but whatever. I was concerned with bag to heel clearance since the bag mounts are not adjustable, but they cleared fine (size 50 shoes, 180 cranks and 425mm chainstays). Tires are 28 GP 4000s that run 31, so much larger tires would clear the rack.

Ultimately I am very pleased, both the rack and bags are extremely light and high quality. Without the bags I couldn't even tell the rack was there. My wife is looking forward to trying them on her 20 mi commute enabling occasional "fast" commutes on a road bike v. the hefty commuter.

DSC01743-1.jpg
DSC01745-1.jpg
DSC01746-1.jpg
DSC01747-1.jpg
Old 01-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Bumping this up.
Anyone else bought and used the Tailfin system and care to give feedback?
Not a cheap system. Arguable that it's more worthwhile to get a bike that is pannier friendly.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:28 PM

I still use mine bi-weekly for CSA pickups and for errands around town, 15lb load split is probably the max I've hauled. No touring or rides further than 30-35 mi or so. Same opinion as before, much lighter and stiffer than a traditional rack and panniers, the position is higher and further forward, but that seems to work very well especially on a road bike. No waggle and out of the saddle is far better than the traditional setup I was using on a Monstercross. I have not tried regular panniers on the included adapters, only the Tailfin ones.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:39 PM

that's a sharp looking setup and a very nice bike! where/what is black mountain bike from?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
that's a sharp looking setup and a very nice bike! where/what is black mountain bike from?
Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes Station, CA (Marin County). I bought this one from echelonjohn. Mike Varley is the proprietor, has many years in the bike biz and is an elite mechanic and wheel builder. The shop is tiny, but a museum. No better bang for the buck framesets out there, designed and prepped by Mike, built overseas (other than his MUSA offering).

Last edited by donevwil; 01-05-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Perfect timing. I've been looking at these as well.. and kinda lusting after one. Shoulda known we'd have a review on the forum. Am looking at their new trunk bag since that seems perfect for commuting.

Hmm..