Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I don't use a screen saver but I do use the Apple leather case. It provides a bit of security and the glass screen is much nicer to use without a covering it with plastic.....

Anyway, I'm easy on my phone generally and a thick case sort of ruins the experience. The leather one is a nice compromise and it fits the phone perfectly.

BTW, If Apple releases a small form-factor iPhone SE II (SES?) I could imagine trying it out. I'm not in love with (nor do I hate) the size of the largish
iPhone X.
The size of the SE is perfect for me and my lifestyle. Just stick it in my pocket. Being retired....don't use it for work or anything. Occasional call, few texts each day, check E mail and stock quotes is about all I do. It does all I need. $160 at Consumer cellular. Just a tool to me, don't want to spend more than I need to. Wife has a 6S, and daughter a 7, and I would not trade with them. They have purses they carry stuff in. Size don't matter to them. If I still worked, and used it for client work, and wore a suit every day with coat pocket....would be different. Also....I think cost of these things is out of control for hi end models. Could buy 5 shares of BRK.B for what a X costs.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-30-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
And also coincidentally when the temps dropped.
Yeah, I've been wondering if this is more related to the cold than to some nefarious planned obsolescence. Doesn't look like I'll be able to test this theory empirically for a few more weeks!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:02 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy412 View Post
I have a 5S. Since the last update to 11.x iOS, weird battery things have been happening. Occasionally when the battery level gets down near 20% charge, the phone can suddenly show dropping to near 0% charge,, like 4% or 5%. then when you immediately go plug it in to the charger, it jumps back UP to where it was before,, around 20%. Weird. Only started after the iOS update. Otherwise, the battery life and clock speed seem to be about what they've always been for this phone.

It would be nice if they would stop monkeying around with the battery control stuff. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mike in AR
Me too. My 5S does exactly the same thing. Weird indeed.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
A bit like the recent VW screw-up, the Apple folks are now trying to undo the damage to customer relations by offering a product (battery replacement) at a price that likely represents a loss for them.

Bear with me, but I don't think the Android crowd can take advantage of anything like that.
Apple and VW are very similar brands, marketed a certain way (as premium products). I'd be surprised if the majority of VW owners didn't own Apple products.

I'm not a sucker for marketing, so I own a cheap Android device. I can remove the back cover and slot in a spare battery, SD card and second SIM card whenever I like ;-)
Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
The size of the SE is perfect for me and my lifestyle. Just stick it in my pocket. Being retired....don't use it for work or anything. Occasional call, few texts each day, check E mail and stock quotes is about all I do. It does all I need. $160 at Consumer cellular. Just a tool to me, don't want to spend more than I need to. Wife has a 6S, and daughter a 7, and I would not trade with them. They have purses they carry stuff in. Size don't matter to them. If I still worked, and used it for client work, and wore a suit every day with coat pocket....would be different. Also....I think cost of these things is out of control for hi end models. Could buy 5 shares of BRK.B for what a X costs.
I considered getting the SE. It's the right size for me too.

As for having a phone, it's been worth its weight and price over the years I have had one. In my work it's a valuable tool and when real smart phones became available it improved the quality of life for many in my line of work.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
You are making a convoluted argument.

There's Iphone, Android, and everything else. Android dominates the market, and has been increasing their market share for most of the past five years. Iphone sales have been mostly decreasing. Google makes phones, but the majority of their Android revenue comes from other manufacturers via phones and tablets. Revenue doesn't compare. Unit sales are what defines the market data. Price per unit only applies to the Google phones, see above.
This is largely correct but also slightly convoluted as well.

Android is an operating system, iPhone is a device. Thus we’re either talking about Android based devices vs iphones or IOS vs Android.

iOS devices dominate the developed world, Android the developing.

Globally, Android devices dominate - there’s a lot more people in the developing world.

Last edited by Marc40a; 12-31-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Apple apologizes and says 'they never never do anything to shorten the usefulness of an older model'.

So now that they have asked us to suspend disbelief, will they start providing software updates to older models which were previously discontinued? Someone is still using their 5s right?
It's funny to think how naive I was a few years ago after being dissatisfied with an OS upgrade on my first smartphone, the iphone 4, thinking I could simply re-install the old OS...
Battery life on that one was two+plus days when used mostly for occasional text. My current SE is similar. I've had a no-OS-upgrade policy since updating on that one several years ago. As was pointed out in another thread, that could leave me open to security vulnerabilities. I try to minimize by not doing any banking on that phone.

My main issue with the iphone has been the weak antenna and poor sound quality, both of which bear directly on UX, which Apple is famous for.

Last edited by marciero; 12-31-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
This is largely correct but also slightly convoluted as well.

Android is an operating system, iPhone is a device. Thus we’re either talking about Android based devices vs iphones or IOS vs Android.

iOS devices dominate the developed world, Android the developing.

Globally, Android devices dominate - there’s a lot more people in the developing world.
Not sure what stats you are seeing.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Not sure what stats you are seeing.
https://android.jlelse.eu/apple-vs-a...7-c5799a0a1683
Old 01-14-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
User experience is not market share.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/09/us-ip...-share-kantar/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/09/sams...ntar-says.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-os-in-the-us/
Old 01-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Reviving this thread to bitch about Apple again.

So I got a new phone...an xs...and it is great. Battery lasts forever and the pictures are phenomenal, and the Face ID thing is convenient so I’m good there.

What I have noticed though is now I have to reload my apps on my iPad on what seems like a daily basis.

Is this another diabolical Apple ploy to get me to upgrade?

It is so freaking inconvenient to try to open something that won’t. Not sure if it can be turned off or something? I can understand an app I haven’t used in a year or two, but it seems to be all the usual ones and anytime I want to use one.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

So I got a new phone...an xs...and it is great. Battery lasts forever and the pictures are phenomenal, and the Face ID thing is convenient so I’m good there.

What I have noticed though is now I have to reload my apps on my iPad on what seems like a daily basis.

It is so freaking inconvenient to try to open something that won’t. Not sure if it can be turned off or something? I can understand an app I haven’t used in a year or two, but it seems to be all the usual ones and anytime I want to use one.
There is a memory storage setting for offloading low use Apps where you have to download them to use. Forget where this is exactly, but it's in settings somewhere
Old 01-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

I've never had this problem. I've got an iPhone and two ipads. Are you backing up to icloud? Did you restore apps and settings from a very recent backup when you upgraded your phone?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I've never had this problem. I've got an iPhone and two ipads. Are you backing up to icloud? Did you restore apps and settings from a very recent backup when you upgraded your phone?
Not sure what I did, but it has been happening for about a month. It is dangerously low on memory, and I freed up some space to help but it still wants to reinstall apps constantly.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
There is a memory storage setting for offloading low use Apps where you have to download them to use. Forget where this is exactly, but it's in settings somewhere
I’ll have to investigate to see if that is a setting turned on inadvertantly. Thanks for the tip, btw.