Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 12:52 AM

Q: current availability of MAX fork parts (or similar steel fork options)?

Hey folks,

I've got a question I've been wondering about for a bit.

I've been thinking about replacing the Kestrel carbon fork I paired with my Holland Ti with a steel fork. With the oversized, multi-shape ti tubing, a skinny 'traditional' steel fork would look out of place - and at 265lbs, I can appreciate a beefy fork from a functional perpective as well.

Columbus MAX strikes me as an ideal option. But that raises some questions...

How is current availability of MAX fork parts: fork blades/crown?

Scarce, right? I'm under the impression that tube sets were still available from Columbus not SOOO long ago, but were discontinued more than a decade ago.

If we're talking hen's teeth levels of availability, can anyone suggest a similarly visually chunky, functionally stiff steel option in current production with which I could have fork built?

A used fork is not likely a feasible option. My Holland has a 230mm head tube (61.5cm frame with level TT and 3cm of add'l HT extension), and I need ~310mm of 1 1/8th threadless steerer. Suppose I could find a used fork and have a new steerer brazed in, but...
Old 01-14-2018, 01:53 AM

Framebuilder's Supply in Portland seems to have current stock of MAX fork blades, crowns, and tips (and steerer tubes? not sure about 1" vs 1.125"):

https://framebuildersupply.com/produ...all-length-390

Looks like ~ $100 in parts, plus labor to assemble.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:57 AM

Steve Hampsten just built me a MAX fork a couple months ago. Message him.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Framebuilder's Supply in Portland seems to have current stock of MAX fork blades, crowns, and tips (and steerer tubes? not sure about 1" vs 1.125"):

https://framebuildersupply.com/produ...all-length-390

Looks like ~ $100 in parts, plus labor to assemble.
Awesome! I had no idea, beyond having the general impression that production of MAX was discontinued a while back.

Much thanks for the response and the link.

As they list a 1 1/8th Long Shen lug for MAX available, I should be in clover.

I suppose I could have done a little more homework on this.

Now all I need to do is settle on a good builder here in the PNW and do the thing.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
Might well do that! On my short list for inquiries to do the building, for sure.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:17 AM

C Goodrich

IIRC, Curt Goodrich built a Max fork for a Hampsten not too long ago.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 AM

Let's not forget Mike Zanconato, a forum sponsor. He's got Columbus MAX parts.

If you don't mind a TIG welded fork, there's Chris Igleheart. He can fine tune the stoutness of his segmented forks by varying the diameter of the legs.

I have a Soulcraft road frame with a segmented fork and it looks COOL!

I don't think using a titanium fork would be a wise idea. First, it's obvious to me they wouldn't work well as you don't see a lot of them being offered. The builders must know something we don't. Second, the spring rate of titanium is different than steel so you wouldn't get the feel of a properly sprung fork.

As an alternative, Lennard Zinn offers carbon forks specifically for big and tall people. He's an expert on bikes for big and tall people so I'm sure he could confidently recommend a proper carbon fork.

Last edited by Peter P.; 01-14-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM

I have an extra set of Max blades + dropouts that are just collecting dust still wrapped up in their packing paper. You can have em for say $40 plus shipping and then all youll need is a crown and steerer tube.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
As is Eric at Winter Cycles for me. It didn’t seem like a tall order to get it built.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM

@homagesilkhope : thanks for the tip!

@Peter P. : Zank is a good option, and I hadn't thought of Iglehart for a road fork until you suggested that option, but could really dig the segmented look and his ask is really pretty reasonable a custom (plus browsing his page has me considering a custom stem, too...I mean, I could use *a hair* more drop than I'm getting with the perfectly serviceable Nitto UI-12 on there now ).

I've always been curious bout ti forks, but share your inclination to be cautious. If ti forks were so great, I would have to wonder (along with you) why Bill Holland, Moots, Seven, Tom Kellogg, and everybody else making ti frames never seem to have gotten in the habit of spec'ing ti forks (though I know there are some out there, and they're increasingly available from Asia).

Zinn is definitely a good resource. I appreciate his perspective, and have definitely considered his advice on a number of subjects including carbon fork selection in past.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! I really appreciate it.

Going to make a shortlist and reach out to a couple of builders once I get my ducks in a row - looking at those builders mentioned here, as well a couple of others locally here in British Columbia, to narrow down my options.

I think this is going to be a good move.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I have an extra set of Max blades + dropouts that are just collecting dust still wrapped up in their packing paper. You can have em for say $40 plus shipping and then all youll need is a crown and steerer tube.
I'm going to speak with the guy locally who might build for me, and possibly one other builder I like, and you may be getting a PM from me on that offer shortly depending on the outcome of that conversation!

I'm always a fan of putting to use what others have stashed, collecting dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl819 View Post
As is Eric at Winter Cycles for me. It didn’t seem like a tall order to get it built.
Yeah - it seems that my general impression regarding the potential scarcity of the raw materials to braze up a MAX fork was mistaken.

I am very pleased to learn that is the case!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Just curious, why not just replace with a more recent carbon fork which would likely match ur frame aesthetic more than a steel fork (e.g. Enve, Columbus, Pegoretti, etc).??
Old 01-14-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
Just curious, why not just replace with a more recent carbon fork which would likely match ur frame aesthetic more than a steel fork (e.g. Enve, Columbus, Pegoretti, etc).??
Good question. I could certainly do that.

Indeed, there's no pressing need for me to replace the carbon fork on there now - it's just something I want to do. The Kestrel on the bike now was NOS until I put it on the Holland after acquiring it a few years ago.

I like the ride of ti with a steel fork, and don't mind the weight penalty.

I dig the aesthetic I'd get with a MAX fork on this particular bike, I think.

I'm a bit retrogrouchy. A good steel fork will be essentially 'for life' barring crash or other damage from impact, carbon fork not so much. Not much diff in price for one or the other, assuming nicer CF options as point of comparison.

I'm not a luddite, despite how all that sounds - my most recent build is a Lynskey with a tapered HT and a new Whiskey No 7 disc fork - but I've thought about it a lot and concluded I'd like to go this direction with the Holland.

I could even decide in future to go back to a more modern CF fork on the Holland, in which case I'm sure I could still find a good use for a nice MAX fork with pretty standard road specs & lots of steerer elsewhere in the stable...
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM
Steel..what else??

You have a pretty good list already.
Cheers