Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

Which website is the cheapest now?

Which website is the cheapest now for small stuff like tire levers, tubes, bottle cages, and etc... that don't add up to a large amount? I used to use Merlin Cycles alot until they got rid of the free shipping over certain amount to the US.
This is for US shoppers.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM

I feel like in a world where the shops there to support us in this hobby are struggling while everyone is so caught up deal hunting and 24/48hr shipping, we should absolutely be buying (at the very least) the small items you mention. You’re realistically saving pennies on the dollar for something like a tube or tire lever, plus adding additional waste.
I’m all for looking for a good discount but don’t think it makes sense for smaller ticket items
Old Today, 02:11 AM

Amazon! Amazon! Amazon!

Because that's the first place all the American zombie shoppers go as they eat retail alive.
Old Today, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
I feel like in a world where the shops there to support us in this hobby are struggling while everyone is so caught up deal hunting and 24/48hr shipping, we should absolutely be buying (at the very least) the small items you mention. You’re realistically saving pennies on the dollar for something like a tube or tire lever, plus adding additional waste.
I’m all for looking for a good discount but don’t think it makes sense for smaller ticket items
I live in Manhattan and the local shops charge $25 for a rubber inner tube that you can get for $3 on Merlin. It's just not feasible to support them when the price is more than 8 times higher.
Old Today, 05:20 AM

A good local shop can also be a good resource, service or knowledge wise, so its not just charity paying a little more for things like tubes. There are also these other advantages-

- excuse to go to bike shop
- instant gratification
- items disappear into your inventory-no need to explain packages to spouse/partner.

Edit: $25 for the same butyl tubes?? Butyl tubes do vary in quality and price but that is a bit much. I just started paying $30+ but those are TPU tubes. Curious if that is the going rate for NYC bike shops.

Last edited by marciero; Today at 05:27 AM.
Old Today, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
I live in Manhattan and the local shops charge $25 for a rubber inner tube that you can get for $3 on Merlin. It's just not feasible to support them when the price is more than 8 times higher.
What shop is charging $25 for a butyl tube? That sounds like an installed price, and that's in range from what I've seen $20-$25 if you roll a bike in and want it replaced.
Old Today, 07:00 AM

Every time I do patronize my LBS it's for some random thing I need right now like a headset spacer or flat mount caliper mounting bolt I lost. I gladly pay whatever they ask and I also buy stuff that I don't need (t-shirt, tires, etc) but get my bill to $100 or so to make myself feel better.

But the fact is that I'm a good wrench and have amassed a tool chest such that I have not found a need for any bike shop's tools or expertise in a very long while.

OP, I've ordered from Lordgun about four times over the last year. Great prices and about $20 shipped from Italy to Louisville in under a week. About two days for $25.
Old Today, 07:22 AM

$6.95 for a tube at the REI on Lafayette. They don’t charge any more for parts at that REI than any other REI location.
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Depends on what you want these days I think.

For really inexpensive stuff like tubes, I just shop ebay and buy them like 5 at a time.

I have learned my lesson on other stuff though. I got burned with some counterfeit chains, and questionable other items shopping the cheapest route. I will now only buy brand name stuff from an authorized retailer. For that, forum sponsor biketiresdirect has been reliable.

I do wind up stopping at REI a couple times a month for random outdoorsy stuff, and I will pick up a couple tubes there or rim tape or whatever when I need it to. They are not the cheapest, but competitive pricing on consumables and the convenience factor is definitely there.
Old Today, 07:56 AM

not everyone has access to a good local bike shop..My local REI has been good for some things, I wait for their 20% off sale and nab ultegra chains but they don't carry light weight tubes or road tires beyond gator skins...their shop people are helpful and friendly tho.
Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You must not be shopping at Rubber n' Road where the actual price will be about 38 times higher.
Old Today, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Which website is the cheapest now for small stuff like tire levers, tubes, bottle cages, and etc... that don't add up to a large amount? I used to use Merlin Cycles alot until they got rid of the free shipping over certain amount to the US.
This is for US shoppers.

Thanks,
Bruce
Yeah, Merlin was my go to for many, many years. As of late I've been ordering more from Lordgun or Bike24.
Old Today, 08:47 AM

I just hit Google and it finds the lowest prices. The world is at your finger tips and some shop somewhere is always having a sale.
Old Today, 08:52 AM

Lbs in my area never have anything I want. There is just too much to stock keep everyone happy. And I won’t buy anything I don’t want.
Old Today, 09:14 AM

I have received way too many incorrect or faulty goods shopping online.

I'm lucky in that I am very close to 3 great bike shops. I text them and have them order most things for me. They appreciate the business and I am assured of actually getting what I ordered. And when I need last-minute service on one of my bikes, they hook me up.

Tags
deals deals deals, shop 'til you drop