Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Something that fits into a slot between the Pasela and the GP 4 Seasons is the Ultra Gatorskins in 700x32. I use them on the back of my touring bike and find them great.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM
formerly Landshark_98

for road feel and suppleness its hard to beat Compass. Gotta get the pressure right to avoid that sluggish feeling climbing Panaracer EVOs are nice in general. I've used Racer D 28s, and Racer A 28s, both grow a little but not a lot.

Surprise tire for me, and what I use in the winter is the Specialized Roubaix Pro tubeless ready 30/32. It's a 32 on Boyd rims and it is really nice and at about $40 a tire a relative bargain.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 AM

After trying a few different 32's I landed on the Compass and it's hard to imagine a better ride.

dave
Old 04-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Best 700x32c tires for road use.

Thanks everyone. Good choices here.
The Panaracer tires get good reviews.
Compass tires and Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower.
Between the GKs and the EVOs, which one rolls faster without compromising durability/flat protection?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have been pretty happy with Spesh Roubaix in 32mm. They are pretty great. Sure they are not as confy as compass but I think I prefer em to GKs. Also they set up tubeless no problem. Really depends what you are after, fast, supple, go compass. Slightly slower, durable go something like the roubaix.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j102 View Post
Thanks everyone. Good choices here.
The Panaracer tires get good reviews.
Compass tires and Continental tires are good too, but it appears they roll slower.
Between the GKs and the EVOs, which one rolls faster without compromising durability/flat protection?
Even though I brought up the EVOs, I don't have any firsthand experience with them. I do have a pair on the shelf waiting for my current Gravelkings to wear out. Word is that they roll a little faster than GKs.

For my riding, GKs roll just fine. Not really wanting to pay Compass/Rene Herse prices, not that in to Continental tires. The Spesh Roubaix 30/32 is a pretty intriguing tire too.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
All the following have tire lineups in 32mm configuration, just depending on the tradeoffs you want:

Compass - most supple of all - which gives a nicer, more comfortable ride but maybe wear out faster
Gravelking Slick - less supple, but more versatile and better able to handle rough roads with the occasional venture into smooth gravel
Pasela - much less supple, but of the three, possibly the most durable, get high mileage and better flat protection, great for commuting
Oh yes, almost forgot about Specialized Roubaix Pro tubeless ready 30/32 that a number of folks mentioned already.

They are very nice indeed.
I got them during their annual sale "buy one get one free", so ended up with a set of tires for $40. You can't beat that!

All things considered, I would rate them on top of the heap.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Another Compass aficionado here. I have their tires in sizes ranging from 26 to 42 on a half-dozen bikes.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Bike Guy

Specialized Roubaix 2bliss version
Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Something that fits into a slot between the Pasela and the GP 4 Seasons is the Ultra Gatorskins in 700x32. I use them on the back of my touring bike and find them great.
+1 I have 32mm on my BMC. Fast and much more supple than the Gator 23's
Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 PM

I've got Maxxis Refuse in 32mm on my Boyd Altamont wheel set. I run them tubeless and they roll like butter. Heavy butter.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've got Maxxis Refuse in 32mm on my Boyd Altamont wheel set. I run them tubeless and they roll like butter. Heavy butter.

I like Maxxis tires and have them on my bikes. But, there are not too many reviews on the Refuse tires. I guess they are not as popular.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:11 PM
Randomhead

I am running 32mm refuse right now and could not get the front to seat properly. Warrantied one and the replacement was just as bad. But I think you could use one as a sword in a pinch, the anti-flat band is very stout.

I am considering going back to Gravel king slicks. I wear them out fairly fast, and I got the Refuse after having a couple of flats with the GK. Could have just been bad luck though.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have a set of 32 Panaracer Evo race gravel slicks that I mounted and never rode, but they look like a faster rolling Gravel King. I also like the Gravel Kings in 28 and 32 for the same purposes.

I have at least 3 current bikes with different size Gravel Kings and they have been bulletproof. They last, have puncture protection and roll over pavement better than a lot of more race oriented tires IMO.

If you need a set of 32mm gravel kings or would like to try out the Gravel Race Evo Panaracer I have a new in package set of 32 gravel kings in army green and the gravel race Evo in all black mounted with tubes, but never ridden that I'd sell below retail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I've also used the GK28s with good luck and they roll pretty well. I bought them for my road bike before I had a gravel bike and now they are just hanging in my garage. I've also got a pair of Conti GP 4000s in size 28 that aren't getting much use and I could part with. If you are interested, shoot me a PM. Not really trying to make a bunch off these but offering them up if OP or someone else is interested in trying and doesn't want to pay full freight for a tire they aren't sure about.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Grand Bois Cypres (advertised as 30mm, but are 32mm) are another great option. For all intents and purposes identical to the standard Compass/Rene Stampede Pass at ~$12 - $15 less per.