Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I agree. Except for the camping out part
Admirable restrain.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
It has nothing to do with obesity or suicide.. it´s about Governement building houses for the underprivileged...
When I say, "...it starts with us."

I don't mean: Pull up your bootstrap.

I literally meant: ALL OF US

....has to be part of the solution.

Not just the individual involved.

Not just the government.

Not just the family affected.

Not just the society at large.

All of us being part of the solution.

Or else...this problem will and can NEVER be solved. Never.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

Not just the government.

Values have to be turned upside down. We need to have the utmost respect for failed and failure. We need to worship failure because all learning and every change comes from failure. There would not be philosophy, science, religion, theater, literature wasn´t for weakness, mistake, self doubt and wrong doings but we worship success. No one learns anything from success. Not even the successfull.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:

Not just the government.

How are you going to solve a problem when the person that has the problem doesn't see the need?

M
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
How are you going to solve a problem when the person that has the problem doesn't see the need?

M
Do you think that all homeless people fit this description?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
How do you see people when you are homeless, when every symbol of social adjustment, every material thing is denied, taken away from you?
His/ her perspective of what we are about should be more acurate and relevant than those who are established and connected.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
How do you see people when you are homeless, when every symbol of social adjustment, every material thing is denied, taken away from you?
His/ her perspective of what we are about should be more acurate and relevant than those who are established and connected.
I am not sure what you are trying to say. My response was to a statement about homeless people not being aware that they have a problem. Do not believe that most homeless people are unwilling or unable to be helped. It is a myth that people choose to be poor, or homeless, or addicted, and that they are content with their situation and don’t want to improve it. Much like the myth of the self made person or myth that everyone has a chance if they just work hard enough.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what you are trying to say. My response was to a statement about homeless people not being aware that they have a problem. Do not believe that most homeless people are unwilling or unable to be helped. It is a myth that people choose to be poor, or homeless, or addicted, and that they are content with their situation and don’t want to improve it. Much like the myth of the self made person or myth that everyone has a chance if they just work hard enough.
I agree with you.

Last edited by colker; 04-20-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:46 PM

The talk about myths is largely more myth. There are about as many stories as there are homeless people, albeit that the stories can be categorized to some extent. Some have had the wrong card turn up and lost their housing. It does not take much for this to happen. Others may have been on the street for decades. And then there’s all the others in between. Making all these people out to be victims infantilizes them.

For some, free temporary shelter for a few weeks or months gets them back on their feet. For others that might never work to make them independent. The big thing that has to happen is for the individual involved to “get it” about how they live and how to do it differently. Whether its working on the addiction, taking their meds on schedule, or simply figuring out how to get to work everyday.

Those are some of the ways out and they are things that many can (and need to) learn. Not everyone but many can learn to do their life differently. Setting them up for a chance to learn and to put the new skill into play is what we can do for them. We cannot make them do it. There is no 100% solution, nor a one size fits all. And expect plenty of failure along the way - but some will make it given a chance.

So its kinda bootstrappy (to some ways of thinking) but you may have to help some people find their bootstraps before they can pull up. Best thing I have figured out is standing them up on their feet with whatever dignity they have left and then provide them with a chance to learn how to run their lives in a way that creates a better life and restores dignity. Not so much boot strapping but establishing self agency.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:50 AM
ZhugeLiang

good insight, henry pal.

bootstrapping is not a bad word, when used in the right context.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Not just the government.

What does this even mean? Voting? Volunteering at homeless shelter? Contributions?

BIG problem, For richest country on earth that places it's 'budget' priorities in things that benefit a 35-40% minority, keeps them riled up but helps few of those who are marginalized. The solution' needs more than pretty platitudes and nice bumper sticker sayings. It needs $$, and lots of it.
Take a page from some of the NATO countries and per the charter, reduce US DOD budget to that 2% target..Never gonna happen tho..

Maybe a HUD secretary that actually knows what he's doing and not just trying to cut his budget and keep from getting yelled at by the guy in the big seat.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-21-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
See HenryA's response.

Per the story I linked, some just bring the situation with them when given a chance so someone needs to explain to me (using small words 'cause I obviously don't get it) how the government is going to 'fix' these things.

I'm curious to know when it became the government's problem to fix everything. That certainly wasn't the way the country was founded.

M
Old 04-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
See HenryA's response.

Per the story I linked, some just bring the situation with them when given a chance so someone needs to explain to me (using small words 'cause I obviously don't get it) how the government is going to 'fix' these things.

I'm curious to know when it became the government's problem to fix everything. That certainly wasn't the way the country was founded.

M
The government most definitely does have a role to play in ameliorating the conditions which allow homelessness and other ills to fester. Even from a public health/public safety/quality of life standpoint this makes sense, unless you want to dodge feces on the sidewalk.

Unfortunately, going back to the country's founding, designed to preserve the privilege and advantage of a very select minority-landed white men, does not offer much guidance.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 AM
needs adult supervision

I talked about care, support, structure. Those are designed to help. Not 'fix'. I don't think many who've posted in this thread presume to 'fix' challenges like homelessness and mental illness. We're looking for ways to help toward, if possible, making lives better, or at the very least, mitigating some of the dangers, pain and outright horrors.

Too often, sadly, the words 'the government can't fix (BLANK)' are code for doing nothing.

Speaking personally, I sure don't have any answers to the challenges people like my sister face. And I know outside help is only part of what might change her life; the other part would need to come from within her. I know there's no magic bullet. It's a ying+yang of external and personal actions. But offering no help is just inhumane.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What does this even mean? Voting? Volunteering at homeless shelter? Contributions?

BIG problem, For richest country on earth that places it's 'budget' priorities in things that benefit a 35-40% minority, keeps them riled up but helps few of those who are marginalized. The solution' needs more than pretty platitudes and nice bumper sticker sayings. It needs $$, and lots of it.
Take a page from some of the NATO countries and per the charter, reduce US DOD budget to that 2% target..Never gonna happen tho..

Maybe a HUD secretary that actually knows what he's doing and not just trying to cut his budget and keep from getting yelled at by the guy in the big seat.
Yes. It can be dealt with by governement just like european countries do. Problem does not go away but it gets much better when you can go to an agency and, provided you have no means, get a house to live. If you are a mother of youngsters, it´s immediate, on the spot. No one takes away your kids because you live on the street.. instead, you get a roof for the family. No need for kumbaya... just make housing available for people in need.
If England can do it, why can´t the US?
Closed Thread

Tags
it's the economy