Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
This.
Chainring bolts quickly came loose and damaged my bike, and the design more or less guaranteed that any dropped chain meant having it wedge up against the bottom bracket. Truly terrible engineering.
Sounds like user error tbh
Old 09-17-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I don’t know him; don’t know anything about him except for the few things I’ve seen here (which do make him look sophomoric); know nothing about his products; and don’t really care enough to have an opinion as to whether I like him or not. He doesn’t matter to me in the least. But for this forum I would not know that the guy exists. This whole episode just seems too far fetched to be credible. It is masterful in that it got a bunch of people on The Paceline bickering about it and no doubt generated numbers of additional clicks. I’m skeptical.
It’s fair enough to not know Hambini (i don’t watch much of his stuff) but this is a poor take.

He is relevant to a huge number of people, and influences purchasing decisions. He isn’t the only one, there are a dozen or so cycling YouTubers who have their own little niches that have large captive audiences.

If Hambini trashes a brand their sales will be affected to some extent. But the saga between Hambini and AB has been so protracted and weird that I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a commercial impact for AB.

In the end it could be by AB, Hambini or some other disgruntled actor. But your non-understanding of how the YouTube economy works isn’t a valid reason for being skeptical.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoots View Post
It’s fair enough to not know Hambini (i don’t watch much of his stuff) but this is a poor take.

He is relevant to a huge number of people, and influences purchasing decisions. He isn’t the only one, there are a dozen or so cycling YouTubers who have their own little niches that have large captive audiences.

If Hambini trashes a brand their sales will be affected to some extent. But the saga between Hambini and AB has been so protracted and weird that I’d be shocked if there wasn’t a commercial impact for AB.

In the end it could be by AB, Hambini or some other disgruntled actor. But your non-understanding of how the YouTube economy works isn’t a valid reason for being skeptical.
I think the rise of the "influencers" is another example of how the world - but especially the USA, has become the home of the stupid. We need to have a program to tell us how much air to put into our suspension forks or bikes tires and people like Hambini, to tell use if a product is good or not.

The bike influencers are bad, the auto influencers are worse and the fashion/style influencers are killing kids.

Best to turn it all off and just ride a bike.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I think the rise of the "influencers" is another example of how the world - but especially the USA, has become the home of the stupid. We need to have a program to tell us how much air to put into our suspension forks or bikes tires and people like Hambini, to tell use if a product is good or not.

The bike influencers are bad, the auto influencers are worse and the fashion/style influencers are killing kids.

Best to turn it all off and just ride a bike.
In a similar vein to my original comment, you can have that opinion but at the end of the day there is both utility delivered to the end-viewer as well as a commercial element.

As noted, I personally don't enjoy Hambini's content but there are some good and great ones out there.

Was the same deal with magazines, radio, TV, etc.

None of that has any relevance to someone doxxing Hambini, potentially for commercial reasons, though.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:11 PM

On a sort of related note- I’ve been using AB Graphene drip on our MTBs - it’s awesome!
Old 09-18-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
In a similar vein to my original comment, you can have that opinion but at the end of the day there is both utility delivered to the end-viewer as well as a commercial element.

As noted, I personally don't enjoy Hambini's content but there are some good and great ones out there.

None of that has any relevance to someone doxxing Hambini, potentially for commercial reasons, though.
In no way, shape or form, would I compare yesterday's journalist and magazine writers to todays "influencers".

For those that remember, Mountain Bike Action was the worst of the worst. But compared to todays video stars, they were Nobel prize winners...
Old 09-18-2023, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
In no way, shape or form, would I compare yesterday's journalist and magazine writers to todays "influencers".
It’s just the reality of the situation. Advertisers do not care about medium (and arguably they don’t care all that much about the content), they care about captive audience.

Say what you will of it and make your own value judgements, but it veers toward “old man yells at cloud” territory if you do.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:06 AM

If you wanna be famous, you gotta deal with famous people stuff. Clearly a case of "Be careful what you wish for".
Old 09-18-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Didn’t he just point to a public strava road profile for that GCN person? It is kinda dirty but at the same time public info is public info.
uhm, no. that's not at all what happened.

He dedicated an entire Youtube video to discussing her and her vagina.

He had a whole page on his website for a time dedicated to her, personal details on her, her family. Far far beyond any details on Strava. He cheered on his supporters who brigaded her online content.

Quote:
The final onslaught – published close to a year after the first incident – included two articles targeting not only me but also my husband. These listed our home address with photos of our house, analysis of the parking situation outside, plus screen shots showing routes I used for regular bike rides – alongside false allegations of driving offences based on pieced-together MOT records, false accusations of the use of anonymous online accounts, as well as an entirely fabricated story about my using “feminist extremism as a cover up” to hide my “infertility” and “multiple failed IVF treatments”. The giant red flag of misogyny here is the assumption that a woman would, or indeed should, cover up infertility out of shame.
https://road.cc/content/news/shockjo...BDbyJs0YMY_fuU

https://ridewriterepeat.com/2022/01/...ling-industry/
Old 09-18-2023, 08:36 AM

Don't give Hambini oxygen. It's far beyond sophomoric and "in good fun".
Old 09-18-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davist View Post
don't give hambini oxygen. It's far beyond sophomoric and "in good fun".
+1,000,000
Old 09-18-2023, 10:37 AM

Jeese, my mom would say when I was a child "so two wrongs make a right?".
Old 09-18-2023, 10:53 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
No, because they lacked the near-instant feedback loop between the hypebeast and the trolls.

The way people trot out "but economics" makes me think there are some moral compasses overdue for alignment.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Don't give Hambini oxygen. It's far beyond sophomoric and "in good fun".
Yeah, this.

As much as I find it amusing poking at the shortcomings of the cycling industry at a point when its never been more confusing and frustrating to buy, assemble or maintain your own bike that costs more than a nice motorcycle... he's completely insufferable and a super negative person. I dont know who's right or wrong and I dont care but he sure seems to be a magnet for this sort of thing and thats not a coincidence.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It’s just the reality of the situation. Advertisers do not care about medium (and arguably they don’t care all that much about the content), they care about captive audience.

Say what you will of it and make your own value judgements, but it veers toward “old man yells at cloud” territory if you do.
Do you know what "captive audience" means?

Last edited by MrCharlie; 09-18-2023 at 12:53 PM.