Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 10-11-2022, 04:40 PM

AHEM
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=288073
Old 10-11-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azod View Post
Heard. But I already ordered one.. cuz that's how I role. Impatience is my speciality.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:31 AM

Well then, finally got clean enough air to get out for the shakedown ride.. a little shy of 75mi of mixed terrain, some classic descents and climbs, some flat-landing - a good tester route.

The Good:

I successfully installed the Red AXS with zero hiccups - FD shifting perfectly, brakes bled and dialed just right - and zero creaks or groans from anywhere else. I even cut the ISP to exactly the right height.

The bike rides really well, as one would expect. It's hard not to like climbing on a sub-16lb bike, and of course 30mm tires at 60psi feel good on the road. For a very light bike, there's zero wiggle or wobble. It felt "just right" under seated or standing power. I love the way it looks and feels. So, it's worth continuing to work on to get it all the way there I think. No one and done here.

The Work in Progress:

I'm not 100% happy with my fit or balance on the bike just yet. I've been riding a gravel'r for the last month and the way I sit on that is different than this, and I think it's going to take a few rides to play with things to find what works and make a few changes. Some of what I'm feeling is just the difference in being on a road race bike vs. a gravel bike - faster steering, stiffer, etc. - but part is also how I'm sitting on it.

Going down to 40cm bars wasn't a great choice. So those need to come off in favor of some 42cm or 44cm. I feel more stable descending with slightly wider bars, especially in crosswinds. And I want to find something with more reach, maybe from the Bontrager family, in the 90mm range.

I've gotten used to less drop, so that -6x120 Extralite should be right for me I think, centered where this one is with my usual 1.5cm above, 1.5cm below spacer setup. Bringing the bars up a cm or so with the different angle means a little tighter reach, and it already feels a bit tight. But combined with longer reach and wider bars, and what's below, I should be good.

I need a little more setback - and that could be tough to sort out given the ISP. It is 7mm offset on a 72.5-STA and I'd prefer to have closer to 20mm available. That's with the existing saddle though. I may sit differently on the Berk that is going on for tomorrow's ride - hopefully a little more rearward. And if not, the next thing to try is an SMP, which sits you around 10-15mm further back than most saddles. Of course I just sold my last one I'd had tucked away.. classic.

That's what I've got for now. Forgive the crappy pic. More to come this week, provided the air works with me and I can get in the miles I'm planning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Open_Mind_2.jpg (124.9 KB, 376 views)
Old 10-12-2022, 12:52 AM

Once I get my ride built I’ll head over for a ride
Old 10-12-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I'm in.. I really enjoyed riding down around Lebanon, so maybe we make it a ramble on some backroads down that way.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:16 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Heard. But I already ordered one.. cuz that's how I role. Impatience is my speciality.
I have that same problem. I refuse to seek treatment though.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:22 PM

you mentioned your route was mixed. how did it feel on the non-road surfaces? too race roadie?
Old 10-12-2022, 12:44 PM

That is a very good shakedown ride!
Glad it all feels good & good work on the build
Old 10-12-2022, 01:32 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
Only question is how much steerer you want to keep if you sell it.
Uh, have you met Clean?
Old 10-12-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well then, finally got clean enough air to get out for the shakedown ride.. a little shy of 75mi of mixed terrain, some classic descents and climbs, some flat-landing - a good tester route.
I have said this before, but I will repeat myself: I have ceased being jealous of your bikes and am now mostly jealous of your rides. 75 miles of mixed terrain, and on a weekday? Dreamy.

mostly. still a little jealous of the bikes.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I have said this before, but I will repeat myself: I have ceased being jealous of your bikes and am now mostly jealous of your rides. 75 miles of mixed terrain, and on a weekday? Dreamy.

mostly. still a little jealous of the bikes.
I have a moderate amount of flexibility in my work schedule - can make up some time on nights and weekends as needed - which helps with making the most of good weather and clean air when it shows up...
Old 10-12-2022, 03:26 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Quote:
I'm in.. I really enjoyed riding down around Lebanon, so maybe we make it a ramble on some backroads down that way.
I need to be part of this action. However, my attendance comes replete with with partypace action. Perhaps a can(s) of beer in the jersey pockets for balast?
Old 10-12-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azod View Post
you mentioned your route was mixed. how did it feel on the non-road surfaces? too race roadie?
I meant mixed more in terrain than in road surface - but despite not hitting gravel there was plenty of broken pavement and chip-seal to deal with, along with some nice pavement - so I kind of got to test it on everything.. It definitely rides and handles like a road bike.

The geo for it is pretty interesting. The trail is 56mm w a 30mm tire, which is pretty much on par with standard road geometry, even though it's achieved with a 72.5-HTA and 50mm rake (vs. 73.5-STA and 43mm rake that's more classic). There's no toe overlap, which is nice. It has really short chainstays for the size though at 405mm, so you get kind of an odd short rear end with longer front end, where I'm more used to bikes of this style having a little longer stays, something in the 415 range. The Canyon CFR, for example, has 415mm stays with the same front end measurements, meaning an overall longer wheelbase. Does any of that matter? Hard to say. I just want to ride it more and iterate on the reach and stack and see how everything gels.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:00 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I need to be part of this action. However, my attendance comes replete with with partypace action. Perhaps a can(s) of beer in the jersey pockets for balast?
Same!
Old 10-18-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:

... the next thing to try is an SMP, which sits you around 10-15mm further back than most saddles.

Sorry for the OT, but this caught my eye. Any particular model of Selle SMP? Or are they all like this? I'm looking to get my saddle a bit more rearward, so might be worth a try. And, of course, the search for the perfect saddle never ends.

Great looking ride, Clean. Hope you enjoy getting it fully dialed.