Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Potential visit to St. Catharines Ontario CA

I am thinking about a week long stay in St. Catharines during June with day rides in the area. Any thoughts about the area for cycling?

Looks good for wineries. Any other can't miss tourist spots? We may head to Toronto for a day or so also and head to the Canadian side of the falls.

Thanks!!

Aan
Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 PM

I will compose a better list but book pearl morissette for a tasting and meal asap.

There is good riding anywhere the roads go up the escarpment.

Depending on timing I'd be up for a meet up and ride.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I will compose a better list but book pearl morissette for a tasting and meal asap.

There is good riding anywhere the roads go up the escarpment.

Depending on timing I'd be up for a meet up and ride.
Hidden Bench
Malivoire
Organized Crime
+1 on Pearl Morissette and eat there, too
Tawse
Megalomaniac
Thirty Bench

All this after riding in the area. Plenty of great rides up and around the Escarpment. There are some nice roads around there.
Happy for an excuse to ride there, so if a ride happens I'll make the trip from Toronto.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Riding Along

Lots of great riding. I have some good routes mapped out if you want them. I would be up for a ride when you are in.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM

Now with a bit more time to think and type on a computer.

Wineries
Pearl Morrisette - really interesting natural and biodynamic wines - some weird, some tasty, if you can get a bottle, their pet nats are amazing
Kew - older vines, really nice setting.
Rosewood - mead and great honey

Dillons Distillery - I am not a gin drinker, but their rye is really good, they also do interesting bitters.

Living in Toronto, I can likely suggest any number of things to see and do, really depends on your interests.

Food options are pretty much unlimited, and depending on where you are from you might be able to taste stuff you've never had - Ethiopian, every region of China, modern Canadian food, Vietnamese, Portuguese. only thing we don't have is good Mexican/Latin American and American style BBQ.

Neighborhoods/Places to explore
Chinatown/Kensington market,
The Islands,
Queen West for strolling and shopping,
Distillery District,
College Street / Little Italy
The Beaches
Yorkville
High Park
Don Valley Trail System - mostly interesting due to the location and forest type - Carolinian

Culture/Galleries
AGO
ROM
MOCCA

If you are a hiker, I'd also suggest the Bruce Trail in and around the Niagara Region.

You may also want to check out Hamilton, there is a lot of buzz about its rejuvenation as people from Toronto move out there.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Here's a route from Toronto to Niagara Falls from the Toronto Bicycling Network:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14209853
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM

Thanks

Will let you know by PM if we are confirmed and a plan so you can think about joining. Dates look to be later part of June.

Appreciate the advice.

Alan
Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Well if you are really keen to get some miles in, the Toronto Bike Network hosts the Hairshirt double century (Toronto/Niagara/Toronto) ride in late June. It's a very flat ride that's been running for a good 20 years. All riders are welcome. It's a pretty informal affair. Details should be available soon on the TBN website. Usually attracts anywhere from 30-70 riders.

Important note: if you are going to be doing some downtown riding in Hamilton or Toronto don't leave your bike unattended or unlocked (just like any other big city).

Last edited by Pierre; 02-21-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:12 PM

Don't know about the riding, but I spent many summers in my younger days racing at Canadian Henley over on the Martindale Pond. Beautiful area.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Will be there in a few weeks

If anyone wants to ride w me in St Catharines let me know by pm and we can make arrangements. I will be there soon.

My plan is to ride 2-4 hrs a day and then do fun things in the pm post ride but will be flexible etc.

Alan
Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Had a great time in St Catharines

Just got back and spent 5 days there. Rode a lot mostly in the Niagara escarpment. Found many good routes on ridewithgps. It was fun visiting wineries even though I am more partial to beer. The Falls were great on the Canadian side.

A lot of the time I was riding in vineyards which is always fun. Last time I did this was in Provence.

St. Catherine is a good location as close to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the lake but not a super touristy place.

Alan