Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2020, 10:21 AM

Read this article today: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/s...sultPosition=3

Kind of depressing, frankly. But then again, I’m not a “crowd” guy. I love basketball, but I’m happiest watching a good game at the local bar with some close friends.

Any regular contributors to this thread care to hazard a guess what pro sports will look like going forward?

Last edited by XXtwindad; 04-12-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:59 PM

Anyone seen the first episode of the "Last Dance?"

Hard pressed to think it's more than micro-managed hagiography since Jordan okayed everything. Still, the best player of all time? No doubt.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Hard pressed to think it's more than micro-managed hagiography since Jordan okayed everything. Still, the best player of all time? No doubt.
I thought it was pretty good - forgot MJ was out that long.

I didn't realize that Pipen was so grossly underpaid (2,700,000). He was arguably a top 5 player in the whole league (and a heck of a player on the defensive end) yet 121 players receive more (122nd highest-paid player in the NBA last season was Andre Roberson of the Thunder at $10,700,000).

Also, he had a tough early life (father and brother both in wheelchairs).

Bird looked old in his interview.

Cant wait till next week - the Worm will be featured.

Last edited by wc1934; 04-22-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
This in the non-Wilt Chamberlain category?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:15 PM
what's a little rust?

I enjoyed this writeup:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/m...ls-and-sonics/

Not just because Payton was hometown (and home conference when he played for Oregon State) but because I was able to see one of the games in person. I'm glad the data seems to back up what my heart told me then, which was that only GP could guard Jordan like that.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
I enjoyed this writeup:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/m...ls-and-sonics/

Not just because Payton was hometown (and home conference when he played for Oregon State) but because I was able to see one of the games in person. I'm glad the data seems to back up what my heart told me then, which was that only GP could guard Jordan like that.
Really loved that Sonics team. Payton was ferocious, Detlef was a Swiss Army knife, and no one had seen athleticism from someone as big as the “Rain Man” before.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Really loved that Sonics team. Payton was ferocious, Detlef was a Swiss Army knife, and no one had seen athleticism from someone as big as the “Rain Man” before.
^^^this

Loved those Finals. Even more impressively: My wife, who in general detests watching basketball on TV, asked me to buy her a Shawn Kemp jersey one of those years.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 PM

And somewhere Darryl Dawkins sheds a lone tear.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:42 PM

I didnt realize that the Bulls paid MJ during his absence (feeding into the conspiracy theory that he was suspended). Did that salary get counted against their salary cap?
Old 05-11-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
I didnt realize that the Bulls paid MJ during his absence (feeding into the conspiracy theory that he was suspended). Did that salary get counted against their salary cap?
Yup. Was still on the books. Reisendorf owns the White Sox too, making it even stranger.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:27 PM

So we're starting up in a month or so.

One of the more interesting things going on during this hiatus has been guys transforming their bodies. I'm sure we'll see a player or two that has gotten doughy over the break, but generally people are getting shredded.

Nikola Jokic used to be 7', 280lbs and that felt like an undercount. Now he's in skinny jeans.

Here's James Harden, looking like an extra on "Captain Phillips" and running hills in Phoenix.

And finally, here's Zion (see previous discussion in thread regarding his bulk) looking like prime Lawrence Taylor crossed with a mask-wearing superhero.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eb72oGBU...png&name=small

I kinda wonder about all of these, especially Jokic who did a lot of work just throwing his bulk around in the post and creating passing angles with his hips and Harden, who was incredibly hard to stay in front of not just because of his handle and speed but because he was tough to throw off balance.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Something tells me Jokic will still be similarly immovable.

Any team that comes outta this with a ring is a deserving title winner, but Jesus I think we're in for some atrocious basketball.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Something tells me Jokic will still be similarly immovable.

Any team that comes outta this with a ring is a deserving title winner, but Jesus I think we're in for some atrocious basketball.
Agreed. This benefits literally no one besides the ownership.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Agreed. This benefits literally no one besides the ownership.
Disagree. This is clearly about money, but the players want their game checks and bonuses just as much as the owners want the revenue.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
So we're starting up in a month or so.

One of the more interesting things going on during this hiatus has been guys transforming their bodies. I'm sure we'll see a player or two that has gotten doughy over the break, but generally people are getting shredded.

Nikola Jokic used to be 7', 280lbs and that felt like an undercount. Now he's in skinny jeans.

Here's James Harden, looking like an extra on "Captain Phillips" and running hills in Phoenix.

And finally, here's Zion (see previous discussion in thread regarding his bulk) looking like prime Lawrence Taylor crossed with a mask-wearing superhero.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eb72oGBU...png&name=small

I kinda wonder about all of these, especially Jokic who did a lot of work just throwing his bulk around in the post and creating passing angles with his hips and Harden, who was incredibly hard to stay in front of not just because of his handle and speed but because he was tough to throw off balance.
Holy ****!! That’s Jokic? What happened to the rest of him? I think the fat loss will benefit his game. It’s based more on finesse than power anyway. What is he now? 245ish? Much better than 280 something.