Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Knee issue from trainer

I've ridden indoor trainers in the past but never loads of hours in the off-season. However, I recently got a Kickr and started using Zwift which as been surprisingly engaging. As a result, I'm riding indoors more than ever before. Unfortunately, my right knee feels "weird" for the first time ever. It's not painful, but I'm aware of something that is hard to describe or pinpoint.

I'm wondering if riding a trainer is tougher on my knees because (1) I'm almost always seated (no varying my position) and (2) the bike is fixed (the bike isn't swaying which may impact interaction with the knee). The bike on the trainer is nearly identical to my regular road bike (same set-up, same saddle, same pedals with float, same length crank).

Any thoughts as to what I might do to prevent injury?
Old 11-13-2018, 01:27 PM

stretch. start with your calves, then your hamstrings, followed by quads, and finally glutes

do this after 10 min warm up

my left knee likes to act up, and i have to do this for every ride...
Old 11-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Classics Fan

Oh boy, I get to play internet doctor....

Top 3 things to consider.

1. When I've had that "feeling that something isn't right", it has usually turned out to be the early stages of something like tendonitis, which can be devilishly difficult to solve once it becomes more serious.

2. Make sure that your trainer IS identical to your road set up.

3. Not sure what else you are doing fitness wise, but a focus on range of motion and getting your glutes firing is probably something with potential upside and zero downside.

And a bonus tip. Anyone who has done a lot of indoor training and then switched out outdoor training when the weather warms up. Although the exercise seems the same as outside, it is different. Your need to stabilize your core is different. Not sure how, but it is just different and calls on slightly different muscles and firing patterns. First few outdoor rides of the season are always odd, and fatiguing in ways you wouldn't expect. So, adding some core work and stability training could also help.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM

I'd guess varying position (some standing) periodically could take some pressure off your knee(s).

Only other thought--Do you use power when riding outside? If not, and you're watching/concentrating on power on Zwift, that could have to do with a little more strain on the knees.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Randomhead

when I got in good shape with my trainer, it exacerbated latent ITB issues to the point where I usually have to wear something to keep my patella tracking properly. This also can be combated by doing partial squats or swimming as well.

I often just tape it with kinesiology tape and bandage prep. But I have used a Pro-Tec Athletics Knee Patellar Tendon Strap for a long time.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Princess Sweat

i get the same thing. but it happens for every trainer I use. I guess that it's just the constant pressure, fixed position and lack of coasting (even for a second).

takes a week or two to get used to it. stretching helps a lot (as noted above)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM

RE: the post about power. The only time I felt anything "funny" in my knees after cycling occurred after I bought a bike with 180mm cranks instead of my usual 175s. At first I LOVED how I could muscle up hills in taller gears presumably due to the increased leverage provided by the longer arms. But after doing that on a few rides I noticed an odd feeling under my patella so I went back to spinning the 180 cranks and/or riding my bikes with 175mm or shorter arms. I also had 172.5 and 170mm cranks at this time. The funny feeling went away so consider whether you might be using too much "muscle" on your trainer.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM

Not a pro fit doctor here but I had some knee discomfort only in my left knee before getting the fit dialed in on my road bike. Not really painful but more like a general tension in the front of the knee that I couldn't pinpoint. What worked for me was to move the cleats farther rearward on the shoes, and raise the seatpost a little. Moving the saddle forward also seemed to help. I know none of this is specific to indoor trainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
My road bike IS my indoor trainer bike, just got into Zwifting and mostly what I've noticed is that my butt hurts a lot more/sooner riding indoors because my position never really changes. Varying between the tops/hoods and sitting up or in the drops helps a little, but not as much as I'd like. On the plus side, I should have an iron butt by springtime.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:41 PM

One thing I've noticed on Zwift is that an hour there is more intense than an hour outdoors. I almost never stop peddling on Zwift. And it helps, I think, not to stay seated constantly. Get out of the saddle and stress the knees differently.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM

Consider using a rocker plate under the trainer. I made one for $50 that helps with saddle soreness & might help with knees, as well.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Consider using a rocker plate under the trainer. I made one for $50 that helps with saddle soreness & might help with knees, as well.

How did you makeae your rocker plate? Curious as I am interested in building my one soon. I've seen a couple of drsing but am not a part of Facebook so can't really see the Swift Facebook group dedicated to Homebrew versions.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Oh boy, I get to play internet doctor....

Top 3 things to consider.

1. When I've had that "feeling that something isn't right", it has usually turned out to be the early stages of something like tendonitis, which can be devilishly difficult to solve once it becomes more serious.

3. Not sure what else you are doing fitness wise, but a focus on range of motion and getting your glutes firing is probably something with potential upside and zero downside.

And a bonus tip. Anyone who has done a lot of indoor training and then switched out outdoor training when the weather warms up. Although the exercise seems the same as outside, it is different. Your need to stabilize your core is different. Not sure how, but it is just different and calls on slightly different muscles and firing patterns. First few outdoor rides of the season are always odd, and fatiguing in ways you wouldn't expect. So, adding some core work and stability training could also help.
Solid advice from MattTuck.

Maybe double check your cleat alignment/pedal float. This is especially true if you are in a different shoe or on a diff pedal/bike.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
How did you makeae your rocker plate? Curious as I am interested in building my one soon. I've seen a couple of drsing but am not a part of Facebook so can't really see the Swift Facebook group dedicated to Homebrew versions.
Probably worth it to just make a FB account with a fake name so you can get ideas...hard to sum up all the designs.