Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 05:45 PM

OT - Garmin Vivoactive 3?

I am looking for an everyday lifestyle smartwatch. I am not particularly interested in the Apple Watch, mainly because I prefer a round face watch. That lead me to look at Garmin because I know they have a good reputation for quality products.

I like the idea of being able to track daily habits and activity as well as my runs and rides. I also go camping/hiking a couple times a year, and play some golf in the summers. My kids are little (less than 1 month old and a 16 month old) so I'm not able to get out as much, but when I do go ride and enjoy outside I would like to know my stats. I am not so much concerned with receiving texts and phone calls on my watch, another reason I'm not sold on Apple being the best option for me.

My question is, has any one had any experience with the Garmin Vivoactive 3? I would be interested to know about your experience in everyday work, as well as in your active life. (battery life, GPS accuracy, user friendly etc.) I would also be interested in hearing about other watches/brands I may have over looked.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/60.../010-01985-01#

Thanks for your help
Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 PM

Your best best is the DC Rainmaker review. I used the Vivoactive 3 for a while and it was fine for tracking rides and general activity. Battery life was much better than an Apple watch but probably not quite as good as Garmin claims.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 AM

The best thing about all the Garmins is they don't shut their screen off and you can actually see them in the sun. The poor battery life out of the Apple Watch/Androids, etc.. is even more egregious given they shut their screens off most of the time.

I had a Fenix 3 that I really enjoyed, also had an Apple Watch that I took back within the return window. Still on the fence about whether I'll get a watch again. I wore a traditional watch with a Titanium bracelet for 10+ years.. nothing else is as comfortable as a metal bracelet that is properly fitted for me. I got the Garmin after I managed to scratch the sapphire face on my regular watch really badly.

These lower priced Garmins keep looking better and better.

Last edited by benb; 11-13-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM

This isn't exactly what you were asking about but I bought a Vivioactive 3 HR last year and have been very pleased.

First, it didn't break the bank. About $170 on amazon.

It does nearly everything I need. The battery is good for two long rides before recharging. Recharging is really fast too...an hour or so.

Comfortable, syncs with Garmin Connect and Strava, sends a beacon, and is waterproof and easy to wash.

Two thumbs up here.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The best thing about all the Garmins is they don't shut their screen off and you can actually see them in the sun. The poor battery life out of the Apple Watch/Androids, etc.. is even more egregious given they shut their screens off most of the time.

I had a Fenix 3 that I really enjoyed, also had an Apple Watch that I took back within the return window. Still on the fence about whether I'll get a watch again. I wore a traditional watch with a Titanium bracelet for 10+ years.. nothing else is as comfortable as a metal bracelet that is properly fitted for me. I got the Garmin after I managed to scratch the sapphire face on my regular watch really badly.

These lower priced Garmins keep looking better and better.
How did you manage to scratch the sapphire crystal?

That is really hard thing to do...
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM

I have a vivoactive 3 and had been very happy with it until about a week ago. I got into the habit of logging all of my commute miles since it's so easy to do. But it suddenly started dropping GPS signal without warning. Pretty much every ride it would stop tracking for a few minutes then start up again. I did a full reboot back to the original factory settings.

It worked for a few days but just yesterday started dropping the signal again. I bought it at REI and will be exchanging it this week. From looking online, this seems to be a bad unit, but not a widespread issue for the product. I'll get another of the same and try again.