Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2020, 03:57 PM

Sock Liners

Looking for a thin liner to move moisture away from my feet in the colder weather, wearing woolie boolie’s and other wool socks similar. My son is a UPS driver and says silk liners but wondering about durability. Use Smart Wool glove liners but that’s to bulky. Any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2020, 04:43 PM

I typically just wear a pair of lightweight summer (meshy type) socks as a 'liner'.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Looking for a thin liner to move moisture away from my feet in the colder weather, wearing woolie boolie’s and other wool socks similar. My son is a UPS driver and says silk liners but wondering about durability. Use Smart Wool glove liners but that’s to bulky. Any thoughts?
Which shoes and or overshoes are you wearing?

Maybe try and reduce the amount of sweat unless it's just genetic and your feet sweat a lot. A Wollie Boolie is basically a wool sock with liner built in for argument sake.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:02 PM

That's what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I typically just wear a pair of lightweight summer (meshy type) socks as a 'liner'.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:03 PM

Sock liners work, but they must be very thin so combined with the oversock they don't fit tight into your shoes. If they do, circulation is restricted and therefore warmth.

As an alternative to sock liners, try spreading antiperspirant on the soles of your feet. I'm serious. Eliminate the sweat and there's no moisture sucking heat away from your feet.

You can also try women's nylons. I know they make a style which only covers the foot but not being a woman, I don't know what they're called.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:43 PM

Wear regular cycling shoes with toe covers most of the time, sometimes shoe covers so not looking for a bulky sock. Knowing how the glove liners help just wondering if a thin liner like silk helps. Although advertised not buying woolie boolies are really lined but are great socks. Not suffering to much but just wondering if I can do better.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Sock liners work, but they must be very thin so combined with the oversock they don't fit tight into your shoes. If they do, circulation is restricted and therefore warmth.

As an alternative to sock liners, try spreading antiperspirant on the soles of your feet. I'm serious. Eliminate the sweat and there's no moisture sucking heat away from your feet.

You can also try women's nylons. I know they make a style which only covers the foot but not being a woman, I don't know what they're called.
Thanks, that’s why I’m wondering about silk liners, just like nylons
Old 12-06-2020, 08:26 PM

I use these FoxRiver Alturas liners for this purpose - https://www.amazon.com/River-Mens-Wi...dp/B000G7VB64/

They are super thin and wicking. I wear the liners, chemical toe warmer, then wool socks.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 AM

My daughters play field hockey and wear thin socks called Hocsocx under their shin guards. They are very thin and intended to help wick sweat away and to avoid irritation from wearing the shin guards. They go up to about your knees so they may be taller than what you're looking for, but they could be worth a try.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:14 AM

i guess I'm confused. Wool retains heat even when wet, that's the beauty of it. I bike all winter long in wool socks and while my feet can get sweaty, they don't get cold.

Wicking material is bad in my book for retaining heat. I know in years past when using wicking material as a base layer it was a problem if I had to stop to do a repair or anything. The damp wicking fabric holds no heat so you get chilled real quick and it'd take forever to warm back up when you get going again. This does not happen with a wool baselayer. Confused how sock liners would function any different?
Old 12-07-2020, 10:45 AM

The laws of staying warm: wicking layer, fluffy layer, wind blocking layer.

Wool does both wicking & fluffy, but once saturated, they definitely still feel clammy and damp. Plus when wind rushes over it the evaporation chills your skin. Having it held off by a poly base layer seems to improve comfort for me.

There's other things too - like soggy skin is more prone to infections, abrasion if you're hike-a-biking, etc. but are probably less relevant.

I only bother when I'm headed out on 4 to 10 hour rides, otherwise just fluffy wool socks work fine.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:06 AM

I wear silk liners under thick Smartwools in the winter (in insulated Gore-Tex cycling shoes). REI makes a nice pair that's very reasonably priced (~10$) and I've put them through a lot of miles over the years with no noticeable wear.

Chemical toe warmers scare me. I saw a lot of guys use these when I played hockey as a kid (grew up in Wisconsin, lots of open-air rinks) and I can't even tell you how many times I've seen scorched socks or skates thanks to packets breaking open. No thanks.