Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 01:16 AM

[follow up]

Went to see Adam. I’ve been lovingly staring at this front end since I picked up the bike from him.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrcr View Post
[follow up]

Went to see Adam. I’ve been lovingly staring at this front end since I picked up the bike from him.
+this.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrcr View Post
[follow up]

Is that some sort of protective tape (like 3M clear bra) to keep the cables from rubbing on the lower part of the head tube?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Vendor

It's like a ballerina pirouetting on the tip of the barrel adjuster.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
Is that some sort of protective tape (like 3M clear bra) to keep the cables from rubbing on the lower part of the head tube?

Ding ding ding! I thought about cutting out smaller patches for the hot spots but this looked cleaner to me.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
It's like a ballerina pirouetting on the tip of the barrel adjuster.

You get me
Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 PM

Hi everyone!

Adam from Oakland Service Course here. I don't come on here too much, but Ryan said people were saying nice things about me and I needed to clean house on the classifieds, so uhm. Hi!

I would define my builds and mechanical approach as "borderline OCD," logos are aligned, housing lengths are carefully considered. My background is one of artists and engineers, and I like to think I fall somewhere in the middle. Respect for the craft is #1

I've worked in shops in the Bay Area since 2006, including and not limited to MontanoVelo, Bespoke and Beyond Aero. I took frame building classes from Koichi Yamaguchi, and am USAC lisenced as a race mechanic. I worked with Shimano MultiService and SRAM NRS, as well as a few different regional dev teams. Oakland Service Course grew out of me working in my apartment for loyal clients who followed me from shop to shop while I was between jobs, and it eventually built up enough steam that I was able to turn it in to a legitimate business. I moved in to my current space a little under 3 years ago. I refer to it as a workshop, not a store.

I structure my business around my work, but I am set up with wholesale accounts like any other shop. If you bring me a bunch of parts from elsewhere to build, obviously I'm a little stricter about labor costs. The best results always come when we work together from start to finish, so keep that in mind.

I can do fittings, but I don't like to and therefor have partnered with a local coach (Ryan Moore, from Achieve PTC) and he is doing fittings in my shop space. If that's a service you need, I can help put you together.

I am comfortable in working with riders from pretty much every discipline, road, tri, cx, gravel, mtb, you name it. I also love vintage projects, Im not just about today's bleeding edge technology.

As a rider myself I hit the pavement for fitness and fun, and compete in gravel and mtb races. As a personal challenge I did the entire Grasshopper series on the same bike (an older Ibis hardtail) reconfigured a bunch of different ways, just because I realized I could. I ended up in 4th or 5th place in my age group for the series. Kinda proud of that, gunning for a podium step someday. I think I got 29th in the All Mountain at Downieville. Expert class pack fodder, haha. Once in a blue moon Ill hit podium at an XC race.

My website is incomplete, and for that I apologize, I hope to make time to return to that project later this winter. If you'd like to check out my work and get an idea of what I'm about, feel free to browse through my shop instagram @ http://www.instagram.com/oaklandservicecourse/, and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or inquiries.

Hope to work with you soon,

All the best,

Adam

Last edited by onetwentyeight; 08-21-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:35 PM

A quick thank you to those who posted here. I just needed a straightforward tune up on a bike I bought used. I ended up at VeloTech in Palo Alto and very happy with the service & results. Unlike a few other shops I called, I didn’t have to wait 3-4 months (not exaggerating) to get on their schedule. They had me taken care of in about a week, pretty good pricing too.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:38 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
A quick thank you to those who posted here. I just needed a straightforward tune up on a bike I bought used. I ended up at VeloTech in Palo Alto and very happy with the service & results. Unlike a few other shops I called, I didn’t have to wait 3-4 months (not exaggerating) to get on their schedule. They had me taken care of in about a week, pretty good pricing too.
tom is the guy Campanolo NA sends to Italy to give field feedback. He's forgotten more about the three major groups than probably all the other wrenches in a 25 mile radius know.

and, guess what? he's a better person than he is a mechanic/shop owner.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:19 AM

Peter Lucas of Marin Service Course in Fairfax. Pro mechanic and the best.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:26 AM

Just noticed Oakland Service Course has closed up shop. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 08:31 AM

+++Tom @ VeloTech as well.

Tom knows Campagnolo inside and out and a great guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
tom is the guy Campanolo NA sends to Italy to give field feedback. He's forgotten more about the three major groups than probably all the other wrenches in a 25 mile radius know.

and, guess what? he's a better person than he is a mechanic/shop owner.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
A Bicycle Odyssey, and Roaring Mouse have been good to me in the past.

Anyone have any experience with the crew at Above Category?
Seconded Tony Tom at Bicycle Odyssey.
I know the owner of AC..his crew is very good also..but pricey.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Another ++ for Tom at Velotech.

Had been to many shops around the peninsula and south bay before I found Tom. And yes, he's an awesome guy.

Was sad to see Adam had closed up but wish him the best as he searches for his next phase.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:29 AM

Maestro Tim Parker is still wrenching @ Cyclesports in Oakland. Just sayin'.