Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I'm not an MD, so this is just thinking out loud, but if T increases growth and recovery of muscles and energy stores, wouldn't it also provide that service for anything undesirable such as cancer? Any MD with insight?
Not an MD, but there is some speculation that our T levels drop as we age as a natural protector against some cancer such as cancer of the prostate and testicular cancer.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:40 PM

Yes, its very natural and a part of life. But that will not stop a few that continue looking for Ponce's fountain. They just keep on looking at seemingly any expense. I have no sympathy when they run into troubles.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM

If the T booster is taken orally it gets filtered by the liver and there is no benefit. Other than being injected I've heard about patches but I don't know much about how effective they are.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM

So, for me just like Benb said, I buy the Most wicked weight gainer GNC carries, with whole milk 1 serving is 2400 calories (I know right?!!) And take it after my ride. It has a time of protein,the right amount of Creatine etc. It keeps me right at my target weight (i also eat fresh vegetables as much as possible) and if I start getting a gut, do sit ups or just cut the service get size. It has worked for me and I know what's going into my body.

Galaxy S7 Edge
Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 PM
formerly Landshark_98

seconding others, my doc, who is the team physician for a major league baseball team said yeah, if you test low I can prescribe but the tradeoff is increased risk of prostate cancer - which do you prefer?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
seconding others, my doc, who is the team physician for a major league baseball team said yeah, if you test low I can prescribe but the tradeoff is increased risk of prostate cancer - which do you prefer?
This is also in debate right now. In fact there was a recent study that very high does Testosterone actually cured prostate cancer.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parco View Post
If the T booster is taken orally it gets filtered by the liver and there is no benefit. Other than being injected I've heard about patches but I don't know much about how effective they are.
I am not sure I agree with you on this one.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not an MD, but there is some speculation that our T levels drop as we age as a natural protector against some cancer such as cancer of the prostate and testicular cancer.
I certainly have pondered this. I even wonder if eating tons of protein and calories in general to stimulate MTOR is not a good thing.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If you were asking about the various supplements from what I've read some of them do actually work.. because you don't know what is in them and from time to time they are actually contaminated/spiked with actual Testosterone. I'd be afraid of most of the stuff beyond Protein powder, creatine, and multivitamins at places like GNC. The more the product is marketed to boost T the more I'd be afraid it actually is spiked with T or Steroids and you're setting yourself up for trouble.

Those T therapies the pharma companies and some doctors seem to be abusing also seem dangerous as there are cardiac side effects and other things. A friend's father got himself on it and had a heart attack they think was linked to using it. He wasn't an athlete so he must have had some other reason to want to do it.
I do think that spiking of supplements is a real concern.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnem70 View Post
I was top 10 for my age class for a few years until this Low T craze was created by pharmaceutical companies trying to increase their market share. Now I can't even compete in my local crits because I suspect lots are on some form of this. I'm 46, did the same thing this winter (only rode a few times) and lost a lot of my mass and definition but hard work and dedication will regain all that. Like another said,"think of all the work you put in to get that way. The test for Low T is fairly expensive too and isn't covered by most insurance companies. It has gone from the building block of steroids to a "lifestyle" drug. If you want to get bigger and get the feeling of young back... get back on the saddle and leave the drugs at home. Their are shortcuts but I suspect we will find out in 10 years that the shortcut leads you off a cliff.
Couldn't agree more. A guy I know was using a gel as treatment for low T while at the same time getting great race results. When our state USA Cycling affiliated racing organization started targeted masters drug testing, the gentleman in question stopped racing sanctioned races...

You're 100% right about the hard work too. I had shoulder surgery in October. Being forced off the bike and out of the gym made me very motivated. It pushed me to work as hard as I can remember in many years to recover my fitness. Now I'm looking forward to a strong, pain-free, and drug-free racing season.

Greg
Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Couldn't agree more. A guy I know was using a gel as treatment for low T while at the same time getting great race results. When our state USA Cycling affiliated racing organization started targeted masters drug testing, the gentleman in question stopped racing sanctioned races...

You're 100% right about the hard work too. I had shoulder surgery in October. Being forced off the bike and out of the gym made me very motivated. It pushed me to work as hard as I can remember in many years to recover my fitness. Now I'm looking forward to a strong, pain-free, and drug-free racing season.

Greg
Way to go Greg Everyone, keep it up. Don't give in to the Pharmaceutical companies more then we already do.

Galaxy S7 Edge
Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
This is also in debate right now. In fact there was a recent study that very high does Testosterone actually cured prostate cancer.
Interesting, hadn't heard that. I have two biking buddies that got orchiectomies for their prostate cancer. They both still ride and said it was hard getting back in shape but they are okay at the moment.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 PM

Slight thread drift....

For the docs, has there been any medical research that links cycling to an increased risk or rate of prostate cancer?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm777 View Post
Slight thread drift....

For the docs, has there been any medical research that links cycling to an increased risk or rate of prostate cancer?
None
Only increased risk of prostatitis which can be no fun from what I've heard.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 PM

Gasman -- Thank you.