Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 AM

Tool for trying out different paintjob ideas?

Is there some kind of tool that I could use to try out various paintjob ideas for my next frame? I assume that bike-cad can do this but it is probably not worth it to buy a license just for that. Are there other options?

I thought it might be a nice pastime while waiting in queue for the frame to be built.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweenie View Post
Is there some kind of tool that I could use to try out various paintjob ideas for my next frame? I assume that bike-cad can do this but it is probably not worth it to buy a license just for that. Are there other options?

I thought it might be a nice pastime while waiting in queue for the frame to be built.
I decided on my K.Bedford on the free version of bike cad online. They have a lot of basic panels, stripes, fades, Not sure if that's still a thing.

The other steel bike I have ( Fabrica team bike), the shop had a bunch of the old Serotta sheets where you can sketch what you want onto the frame and we all just printed and drew on it with crayon/markers until we got a nice scheme we all liked and then went with that in the 3 colors
Old 09-21-2020, 02:33 PM

MyO Orbea and Trek Project One both have online paint color customization, but you're limited to their designs.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:21 PM

Ridley has a similar tool, limited to their frames/schemes.

You didn't specify road bike(!), so on the off chance that you or someone else wants to try this out for a mtb, there is this on iphone, android phone, or chromebook.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3DConfigurator