Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Nipples are never included any more. I remember the days when they were. 40 years ago.
If I remember correctly, we sold them for 10 cents a piece w nipple in 1975
Old 09-19-2020, 08:47 PM

Last twenty times I ordered spokes, was offered standard plated brass ones (my personal pref) at no charge, or optional ‘luminum/anodized/colored ones at an additional charge.

Multiple vendors,too

I’m with the OP. At least ask me what I want, don’t leave me hanging.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:00 PM

No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I'll bet the shop dudes laughed for a good while after you walked out the door.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:02 PM

Maybe they figured someone wanting to build their own wheels knew to ask for nipples as well or had a box hanging at home?

Honestly a little strange for you to return the spokes instead of asking for the nipples, which they probably had in a container 15 feet away. Then bought them online after wasting the shops time during a pandemic.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Two weeks ago, I ordered spokes from my local shop for a new wheel I was building.

I got a call the spokes arrived.

I rode my bike over their to pick up the spokes. There were no nipples!

I've been building wheels for over 40 years, and buying spokes locally for as long, nipples included. When I ordered the spokes I wasn't told nipples were extra, or asked if I needed nipples (Who replaces spokes and not nipples?). Had I been told I would have been dumbfounded but paid up anyway.

I kept my mouth shut and teeth clenched and asked for a refund.

I go home and order on-line from prowheelbuilder.com. First time customer; no clue what it's going to cost, or if nipples are included (They're not).

Shuffling sales taxes, shipping, and the added cost of nipples, I still saved eighteen bucks.

Remind me again why I should patronize my local shop?

Oh; and for the entire 10 mile ride home I kept repeating to myself, "NO NIPPLES! NO F*&%IN' NIPPLES!"
First, were they unique in some way? Like straightpull in an 'odd' dimension?
If not, why doesn't the LBS have nipples? Are the nipples something unique?

No other shop have spoke nipples?

PM or email me, I sell Sapim spokes..all types, ..with nipples.
Quote:
I guess after somebody explained to them that yes, a mere mortal CAN build a 'bike wheel'...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-20-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Last twenty times I ordered spokes, was offered standard plated brass ones (my personal pref) at no charge, or optional ‘luminum/anodized/colored ones at an additional charge.

Multiple vendors,too

I’m with the OP. At least ask me what I want, don’t leave me hanging.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. Yes; you used to get nipples by default. If you wanted something else like aluminum or in colored, it was an upcharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

See my original post. Had the salesman asked if I needed nipples, I would have been shocked they were priced separately, but I was ready, willing, and able to support the shop. He didn't say squat, and my previous experience was nipples came with spokes. What next; handlebar tape but bar plugs are an add-on? Or maybe the end tapes? I got the last laugh however, because I ordered everything on-line and saved money- see my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
Honestly a little strange for you to return the spokes instead of asking for the nipples, which they probably had in a container 15 feet away. Then bought them online after wasting the shops time during a pandemic.

I guess it wasn't obvious in my original post. I returned them out of principle. They may not have got the message, but I got my money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
First, were they unique in some way? Like straightpull in an 'odd' dimension?
If not, why doesn't the LBS have nipples? Are the nipples something unique?

No other shop have spoke nipples?

PM or email me, I sell Sapim spokes..all types, ..with nipples.

I guess after somebody explained to them that yes, a mere mortal CAN build a 'bike wheel'...

Thanks for the offer. You must be a freak for selling spokes with nipples! Are you trying to disrupt the status quo?! They were standard, run of the mill spokes, which they merely transferred from another store in their chain.

I didn't care whether they had nipples available for me to purchase on the spot after the fact. And the roughly $6 "upcharge" for the nipples wasn't an issue. Heck; I was paying what did I calculate, $18 more at the LBS for the complete package than from the on-line store? I was willing to support the local shop. I just plain lost my mind when, not only were nipples not part of purchasing spokes as has been my experience (as has been for you and others in this thread), but the salesperson didn't ask if I needed them.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. Yes; you used to get nipples by default. If you wanted something else like aluminum or in colored, it was an upcharge.

See my original post. Had the salesman asked if I needed nipples, I would have been shocked they were priced separately, but I was ready, willing, and able to support the shop. He didn't say squat, and my previous experience was nipples came with spokes. What next; handlebar tape but bar plugs are an add-on? Or maybe the end tapes? I got the last laugh however, because I ordered everything on-line and saved money- see my original post.

I guess it wasn't obvious in my original post. I returned them out of principle. They may not have got the message, but I got my money back.

Thanks for the offer. You must be a freak for selling spokes with nipples! Are you trying to disrupt the status quo?! They were standard, run of the mill spokes, which they merely transferred from another store in their chain.

I didn't care whether they had nipples available for me to purchase on the spot after the fact. And the roughly $6 "upcharge" for the nipples wasn't an issue. Heck; I was paying what did I calculate, $18 more at the LBS for the complete package than from the on-line store? I was willing to support the local shop. I just plain lost my mind when, not only were nipples not part of purchasing spokes as has been my experience (as has been for you and others in this thread), but the salesperson didn't ask if I needed them.
And you didn't ask if they came with. He/She also didn't ask if you needed a rim or a hub or a rim strip.

Or a tube or a tire....

Silly thread.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:24 PM

This is such a strange thing to brag about, and a really weird principle to stand by when, again, you quietly returned an item with no explanation to a local business during a pandemic.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
This is such a strange thing to brag about, and a really weird principle to stand by when, again, you quietly returned an item with no explanation to a local business during a pandemic.
Interesting point from me who is 'at risk' married to someone who is 'at risk'..I haven't been into Vecchio's since early march..

AND the stack of empty Amazon boxes is getting outta hand in me garage.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 AM
Forward the Foundation

Then there rims that come with nipples and washers,
DT Swiss 411s rims, have steel washers, and magic alloy DT sqworx* nipples.
The rims require?, odd round headed nipples.

NB, my LBS includes brass nipples with normal spoke orders.

*TradeMark Dr. Seuss Cycling