Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 07:45 PM

Winter, we hardly knew you

Going to the Philly Bike Expo this past weekend has inspired me to start regaining my fitness and doing longer rides. In honor of the first day of spring, I rode during lunch today and then again after work, for a total of 28 miles. It was very windy but not cold.

This has been one of the mildest winters that I can remember in NYC. We had one week or so of cold weather, and three or four inches of snow. I only took two days off from bike commuting due to snow or ice on the roads.

I've been having nostalgia for the real winters I remember when I was growing up. I'm one of the people who like snow and cold weather. They give me an excuse to be off my bike and pursue other activities.

Last edited by fiamme red; 03-19-2024 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:04 PM

Prior to the snow this year were had a 700+ day streak of no snow. Things are getting scary. It's especially disappointing as my favorite time in the city is right after a heavy dump of snow.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Prior to the snow this year were had a 700+ day streak of no snow. Things are getting scary. It's especially disappointing as my favorite time in the city is right after a heavy dump of snow.
I was visiting NYC during the blizzard of ‘95 (I think that was the year) and it was pretty cool walking down the middle of an empty 5th Ave. I caught the last train running out of town back to DC.

We had 1 week with 2 snows here in Virginia this winter, after none last winter. Our weather rarely got colder than what I usually consider too cold to ride, low 40’s but I’m finding my cold tolerance is waning and rode indoors a fair amount. Even with that still got over 300 miles outdoors Jan-Feb.

We tend to pay the piper though with earlier onset of brutal heat/humidity each year.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:48 AM

Well if those dang cows would quit farting....

Here in Utah I still have most of my year under at least a foot of snow despite almost a week with temps near 50. I do expect it all to be gone by the weekend. Of course they are forecasting more snow this weekend with the incoming cold front.

Currently the snowpack in the mountains is at 127% of norm for this time of year.

So yeah, we've seen plenty of winter here...

With temps in the 40's I've been out riding in shorts and loving it.....except for the winds.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:55 AM

El Niño winter here, no doubt.

Warm and essentially snowless November and December, then two big snowstorms only a few days apart in later January.

Unfortunately we then had 10 days of super cold weather which made it difficult to get out to play in all that lovely white stuff. This was immediately followed by rain and the return of warmer than normal temps which quickly destroyed the snow.

Got on my rollers less than 10 times… my fewest ever.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:00 AM

It's not over yet. Calling for 4-6 inches here Thursday night into Friday. And for the first few days of "spring " it's been quite cold and windy. But yeah, we haven't had a real winter here in at least three years.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:04 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Right after is fun, but, a week after with the slush and puddles really sucks. Or, if it doesn't melt and you have to navigate the icy packs everywhere.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:09 AM

Very mild winter in northern Colorado too. 40 miles with 2100 feet of climbing yesterday, over 1500 miles this year.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:57 AM

Warmest and least snowy winter on record here in the 'cuse. Only two days of nordic skiing this year, a personal record low for me. On a positive note, more days of outdoor cycling December-March than any time in my life. Between some tweaks to my training plan and mega outdoor miles, I have May-June form in March. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as racing starts. I suspect my competitors will also be on great form, negating any advantage I have from my current fitness level.

Greg
Old 03-20-2024, 08:02 AM

When I moved to NYC from Arizona 5-6 years ago, I was expecting to get big winters with lots of snow. Imagine my disappointment as someone who loves the cold.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I rode during lunch today and then again after work, for a total of 28 miles. It was very windy but not cold.
You're saying that because you didn't ride in the am yesterday. Around freezing. Looks like Friday am going below freezing again.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
El Niño winter here, no doubt.

Warm and essentially snowless November and December, then two big snowstorms only a few days apart in later January.
I live about 100 miles NE of Thwart, and the same here. I missed riding on the road in our warmer times until recently as my cardiac surgeon hadn't cleared me until recently as he didn't want to risk interrupting the healing process for my sternum. I did get some funny looks from neighbors when I was riding my Omnium trainer in the driveway on nice days.

Have been out on the roads 7 times now, one ride even in shorts! Monday was pretty chilly again so I was bundled up, and now we have snow and colder temps in the forecast just as I'm getting back into a rhythm. I'll be on the roads regularly again soon!
Old 03-20-2024, 11:18 AM

Winter is in full swing in Vermont. Had an incredible weekend riding* there last weekend and heading back up for the storm this weekend.

*Snowboarding.

I live in philly and absolutely hate when it snows here. People have no idea how to drive in it. The city doesn't know what to do with it. It's absolutely nasty a couple of hours after the snow. I can't imagine NYC is any different. Oof.

I felt very differently about it when I lived in MA, especially in central MA.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 03-20-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
You're saying that because you didn't ride in the am yesterday. Around freezing. Looks like Friday am going below freezing again.
I did ride yesterday morning, 6.5 miles to work, and I enjoyed the commute. As long as it’s above 20 degrees and not raining or icy, I’m good.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:01 PM

I have been getting snow every night this week. It tends to be gone by noon, but it's currently snowing right now. We had a mild winter for sure, but because I am right on the line between the foothills and the Adirondacks I get the latter's weather

I ride outside year round, but typically it's on a fatbike in the winter. This year I was able to travel down to the valley and ride on the bike trail with skinny tires and get out for a few group rides around the Great Sacandaga Lake over the past month or so.

My heat bill was half the cost of the last three years so I will chalk that up as another win! I am sure there will be plenty of snow next year!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk