Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
I see, worried about getting a sidewall cut as you are crashing in the rain?

Seriously, I found the 4 seasons to be harsh and no better traction in the wet.
I'll take that as sarcasm, I was answering your question. I've used the 4 seasons for light "gravel" rides like the hell of Hunterdon and Fool's Classic around here. I got a deal on them through BTD so no worries to me, they last and last as others have said (the 4k/5ks are less durable in my experience but like you, I prefer the ride). have a great day
Old 01-08-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Independent highly reputable controlled lab test: different compound, thicker tire, better grip, slightly more rr:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...a-control-2018
The reference test assesses rolling resistance and puncture resistance, but it says nothing about traction (grip). Bicycle tire traction test data is almost non-existant, due to its difficulty to measure. Most rider perceptions of grip are just that - perceptions.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The reference test assesses rolling resistance and puncture resistance, but it says nothing about traction (grip). Bicycle tire traction test data is almost non-existant, due to its difficulty to measure. Most rider perceptions of grip are just that - perceptions.

True

He does at least anecdotally address grip when reviewing tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Administrator

New tires in.

Vittoria needs to get with the program on tire pressure though. I'll likely always be running these under 100psi, and man - i cant imagine running 25c tires at 145 psi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4999.jpg (102.3 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5001.jpg (75.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-08-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

Reputable independent tester: " I feel it's safe to conclude that the Corsa Control uses a compound optimized more towards grip than speed."
Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
New tires in.

Vittoria needs to get with the program on tire pressure though. I'll likely always be running these under 100psi, and man - i cant imagine running 25c tires at 145 psi!
oooh, very pretty! Measurements when you get a chance
Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:

I found the Corsa G+'s sidewall to be so soft that the tires feel soft and squishy even at pressures higher than I normally use.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
New tires in.

Been away from the intended purpose of competition tires for too long? Ask some club racers, that are actually competing on the tire what level of pressure they are using, easily 100psi+. The tire is listed and sold as a Competition Road Race Tire.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Been away from the intended purpose of competition tires for too long? Ask some club racers, that are actually competing on the tire what level of pressure they are using, easily 100psi+. The tire is listed and sold as a Competition Road Race Tire.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
marc - are you implying that competitive road racers should run their tires at higher pressure than recreational cyclists?

on real roads (as opposed to more perfect surfaces like a velodrome...) i'm pretty sure that these or any tires dont get any faster the higher you pump them up, the ride just gets harsher.

for a 25c race tire, i think a more realistic range might be 85-125 PSI.

i'm interested in your thoughts on this.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if many club racers are (still) using 100+ psi. But that doesn't mean that's what's best. When I started racing, a lot of racers thought that 20mm (or narrower) tires had the lowest rolling resistance. But now we know that is not true. It used to be believed that higher pressures also lowered rolling resistance, but we now know that this is not necessarily true, either.

Josh Poertner (at Silca) works with many pro racing teams at determining the best pressure to use for different events, and it is rarely 100+ psi. He bases pressure selection on rolling resistance and pinch flat protection on various surfaces. There was an earlier thread on the forum about the Silca Tire Pressure Recommendation app, so you might want to look that up. The recommended pressures are based on Poertner's work with pro race teams.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
New tires in.

This weekend looks like a good opportunity to run them through a few puddles. Give us a report on Monday.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
marc - are you implying that competitive road racers should run their tires at higher pressure than recreational cyclists?

on real roads (as opposed to more perfect surfaces like a velodrome...) i'm pretty sure that these or any tires dont get any faster the higher you pump them up, the ride just gets harsher.

for a 25c race tire, i think a more realistic range might be 85-125 PSI.

i'm interested in your thoughts on this.
1.) Yes, however not at the expense of grip and impedance losses , always dependent on the event type and surface conditions.

2.) My researched data shows differences above 85 PSI, however not much above 125 PSI, your realistic range is mostly correct for a median weight individual.

A couple of statements taken from another great compilation of info: Tire Pressure and Rolling Resistance

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...ance_7406.html

"The take-home is that – if you want to be accurate – you can’t say that “low tire pressure makes you go faster because it reduces rolling resistance." That’s an incorrect statement that I’ve probably made myself. High pressure actually reduces rolling resistance, but increases the chance of a heavy impedance cost. Tom Anhalt put it best in a recent e-mail, "On rigid bikes the idea is to be able to run low enough pressures so that the tires can be the majority of the suspension for the given conditions.”

Even road racers, as apposed to track rats, are mostly concerned with going fast, not necessary in comfort. If all they were doing every uneven pedal stroke was bounce the suspension and compress a wave of tire carcass, they won't be competitive for long.

Last edited by m_sasso; 01-08-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks Marc. I think we are on the same thought page on this one.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:02 PM

I’m late to the party here... but Josh Poertner’s podcast on this very topic is pretty eye opening. I haven’t tried his app but will check that out.

I can’t remember which episode specifically.... but the point was, that as one strays from “ideal” tire pressure, there is significantly more penalty for being too high. At too high pressure, the energy lost from bouncing the entire rider/bike combo around, is much greater than energy gained by not compressing the tire belt.

There was also quite a bit of interesting conversation about picking tires based on certain mold serial numbers... it got into the weeds pretty quickly.

https://marginalgainspodcast.cc/podcasts/

FWIW... I run Spesh S-Works 28’s... tubeless... 80 psi rear, 75 psi front. Magic. Carpets.