Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 06:16 PM

DI2 Front derailleur only, is it possible?

I currently have a bike set up with Dura Ace 9100 and love the way it shifts. I borrowed a friend's bike to try out his Ultegra DI2 and didn't fall in love with it. I kept hitting the wrong button and really missed the tactile feel of moving an actual lever. It must be why I still drive a manual transmission vehicle as well.

However, having that little motor move the front derailleur was amazing. Which got me thinking of a half electronic, half mechanical system. Is it possible to setup only a front derailleur as DI2 or do I need to have the rear derailleur connected to complete the system? Could I just plug the rear derailleur wire into the controller to trick the system into thinking it's there? From the research I've done so far, I think the answer is no but I have no experience with it at all. I'm hoping someone here can confirm whether it's possible or not.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:46 PM

give the system a few more days...

my guess you'll learn to love it. Shimano levers are not the best user interface (Sram is) but humans have brains and hands that master most basic motor skills and once they are working together, my guess is you'll consider all these words a waste of time.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:58 PM

Agreed with above. Could you do it? Maybe, but then you lose the trim functionality of the FD which is half the appeal of Di2. Not worth the effort. Just get the new style levers with more click.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I borrowed a friend's bike to try out his Ultegra DI2 and didn't fall in love with it. I kept hitting the wrong button and really missed the tactile feel of moving an actual lever. It must be why I still drive a manual transmission vehicle as well.
Find a bike with Campagnolo EPS..they were very careful about designing similar controls with 'similar' feel, clicks, etc., when you shift..
Old 01-01-2020, 08:31 AM

The new campy 12 FD hardly needs any trimming. The thumb button is pushed all the way down to shift to the little ring. If you anticipate using the largest two sprockets, a second touch of the button provides some trim. I never find myself going up and down a click. Best front shifting ever.

I'm sure that campy 12 eps is great, but it's also only available in pricey super record. That's way more than I'm willing to spend for a minor improvement.

Last edited by Dave; 01-01-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The new campy 12 FD hardly needs any trimming. The thumb button is pushed all the way down to shift to the little ring. If you anticipate using the largest two sprockets, a second touch of the button provides some trim. I never find myself going up and down a click. Best front shifting ever.

I'm sure that campy 12 eps is great, but it's also only available in pricey super record. Thats way more than I'm willing to spend for a minor improvement.
I expect you'll see Record 12 EPS soon-ish..Chorus 11 EPS is essentially gone tho...SR/Record 11 EPS still 'listed'...
Old 01-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. As I said originally, I love the way my 9100 shifts now. I have no intention of buying a whole new groupset just to hopefully get used to and actually like electronically shifting the rear cassette.

I'm still looking for confirmation that installing just a DI2 front derailleur would actually work or not. If anybody knows the answer, that would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:34 AM

You could do this (the FD will function without a RD plugged in to the system) but like @Stien said it won't trim (the FD auto-trims according to the position of the RD) which would leave your chain constantly rubbing, so really it won't work
Old 01-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P K View Post
You could do this (the FD will function without a RD plugged in to the system) but like @Stien said it won't trim (the FD auto-trims according to the position of the RD) which would leave your chain constantly rubbing, so really it won't work
Thanks P K! That's a good point about the auto trim. Looks like I'll be sticking with my 9100.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. As I said originally, I love the way my 9100 shifts now. I have no intention of buying a whole new groupset just to hopefully get used to and actually like electronically shifting the rear cassette.

I'm still looking for confirmation that installing just a DI2 front derailleur would actually work or not. If anybody knows the answer, that would be great. Thanks.
Sure, but a Di2 LH lever(if you could find one), front der, battery, wores, junction boxes, etc..ain't cheap either. 'About' what a 9100 mini-group(ders, shifters) would cost..

BUT as mentioned, the front der 'trim' 'talks' to the rear der and where it is on the cogset..w/o that, no trim, even if you 'could' wire it to be a LH shifter/front der stand alone.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Sure, but a Di2 LH lever(if you could find one), front der, battery, wores, junction boxes, etc..ain't cheap either. 'About' what a 9100 mini-group(ders, shifters) would cost..

BUT as mentioned, the front der 'trim' 'talks' to the rear der and where it is on the cogset..w/o that, no trim, even if you 'could' wire it to be a LH shifter/front der stand alone.
What he said. To get Di2, you need pretty much ALL the Di2 stuff. The only things you wouldn't have to buy are the rear derailleur and it's lone e-tube wire. At which point, you may as well buy those too.

...and... the levers won't match. IDK if that's a problem for you, but it's an issue

M