Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2019, 05:55 AM
ZhugeLiang

https://www.framedbikes.com/collecti...adventure-bike
Old 12-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Is the Evil C.H. intended to be a dirt drop handlebar...where you primarily ride in the drops? What about the Cutthroat, or the Framed Marquette?

Instagram
Old 12-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Vendor

...that's what I call putting a spoiler on a dump truck.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
That’s where I am at with gravel bikes. The new super wide tires just don’t seem as practical as a MTB.
An ~xc hardtail does so many things well, including gravel. This makes a lot of sense.

Though my hands do want more hand positions than a flat bar offers on long gravel rides ...and I wish Boost cranks weren't so wide Q for long pedal-ly rides.

Instagram
Old 12-17-2019, 08:25 AM

What, they call it the Chamois Hagar and it's not even red? FAIL!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Gravel appeals to me because it gets to a slower, lamer time in mtb when I had a lot of fun.
If you look at the origins of mountain biking, it was actually riding on gravel roads for the most part.

As far as the bike in the OP goes, it looks a lot like a Salsa Fargo. For riding the gravel here in Central Pa, something like a Fargo or even a hardtail mountain bike is a pretty good choice.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:30 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
...Though my hands do want more hand positions than a flat bar offers on long gravel rides ...and I wish Boost cranks weren't so wide Q for long pedal-ly rides.
There are several alt bar options if you want more hand positions. Jones carbon would probably be my pick.

https://bikepacking.com/gear/list-of...tb-handlebars/
Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
.... For riding the gravel here in Central Pa, something like a Fargo or even a hardtail mountain bike is a pretty good choice.
Except the geo on the Fargo makes sense. High stack (puts the drops in the right place), shorter TT, sensible HTA. This bike.....dropbars cobbled on an MTB.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Is the Evil C.H. intended to be a dirt drop handlebar...where you primarily ride in the drops? What about the Cutthroat, or the Framed Marquette?
Nope. Looks to be standard drop bar vs. dirt drop based on positioning and bar choice.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:56 AM

I want to ride one, looks to be just a screaming amount of fun.

I could take or leave the name. The problem with puns is that they quickly lose any novelty and become stale.

Actually, I would love to ride one of these made out of 853 steel tubing or equivalent. That would be a fun bike to bang around on.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Just buy a mountain bike.
This actually seems like a rational sentiment. I lived right across the street from some of the most technical singletrack in the East Bay Area. Just once in four years did I see anyone attempt it with drop bars. And he was picking his lines very very carefully ...

Also, if you have a bike capable of fitting a 45c tire (as I soon will) what's the big difference between that and a 50c tire?
Old 12-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I could take or leave the name. The problem with puns is that they quickly lose any novelty and become stale.
I have always been somewhat grateful that All City didn't put the name on my Macho Macho Man disc. I call it the 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This actually seems like a rational sentiment. I lived right across the street from some of the most technical singletrack in the East Bay Area. Just once in four years did I see anyone attempt it with drop bars. And he was picking his lines very very carefully ...

Also, if you have a bike capable of fitting a 45c tire (as I soon will) what's the big difference between that and a 50c tire?
I posted on the gravel thread that I have gravel access on single track from very close to my house. I have ridden the single track on my gravel bike (40mm tires), and it takes about twice as long than it does no my mtb. A lot more hikeabike and I never get going as fast. There is a big difference between 40mm and 2.25" as far as sure footedness on rocks. OTOH, the gravel bike on pavement is almost as fast as a road bike, whereas the 2.25" tires are considerably slower. If the route was all gravel, that difference wouldn't be much and descending would be faster on the bigger tires.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

The trending belief in Marin is that XC Hardtails are the fastest bikes. Gravel in Marin is more technical than, say, New England dirt roads. Buddy of mine was able to beat Ned Overland on the local Gravel charity ride which included single, Jeep and tarmac roads on a hardtail while Ned was on a gravel bike. These are just a couple of data points or data that support XC hardtails are the better option.

I’m
Moving back to a 34mm tire on my gravel bike because if I need something bigger I’m riding the MTB.

But everyone has their own duck butter. So smoke it if you got it....&

Last edited by joosttx; 12-17-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
NW knarly gravel bike; NW mountain bike; NW cross,gravel, bike packing bike. A real bike fanatic has the proper tool for every job.
Attachment 1697989995
Gawd I love that AirLandSea! That looks the most fun...

As for the Evil bike, it looks fun as well. I would ride that for sure, but I would definitely say it isn't as pretty as the 333Fab.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The trending belief in Marin is that XC Hardtails are the fastest bikes. Gravel in Marin is more technical than, say, New England dirt roads. Buddy of mine was able to beat Ned Overland on the local Gravel charity ride which included single, Jeep and tarmac roads on a hardtail while Ned was on a gravel bike. These are just a couple of data points or data that support XC hardtails are the better option.

I’m
Moving back to a 34mm tire on my gravel bike because if I need something bigger I’m riding the MTB.

But everyone has their own duck butter. So smoke it if you got it....&
Yes. I remember my thread about "Monstercross vs Hardtail." You came firmly down on the side of the latter. Sound advice.

I'll have to look into Duck Butter ...