Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
unfortunately i'm blessed/cursed with wanderlust. there are just too too many really amazing places on this earth that i have to see and explore to ever limit myself to non air travel. i firmly believe you cant really experience another place/culture/landscape/people through a blog, documentary or other streaming service.

air travel, for me, is a necessary evil.

i do lots of other pro active stuff to reduce my and my families impact on the earth, so i feel i somewhat offset my airline miles with other lifestyle choices.
About a decade ago I was working in Virtual Worlds not so much for recreation purposes, Oculus was still in it's infancy, but for business purposes. Did you know that IBM had a huge campus in a virtual world? They were leaders in this and they saved a lot of money doing it. I worked mostly for universities but for the same reason. So much travel and so much money companies could save if they started using it. And now with the advancement of VW's it's actually quite impressive how one can 'travel' to see places. Of course it will never be like the real deal but it's pretty darn close and there is lots of psychological studies that show how close it actually is. It's a blessing for disabled people too.

In the near future you will be able to travel to every part of the world right from your, what ever device it is they have yet to create.

Moral of my story is there are ways to solve these problems.

I want to go to Iceland. I started off this life as a geologist so it fascinates me, and I want to see it for real. But I'd be happy to strap on an Oculous and climb Mt. Everest
Old 12-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Hah. No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 03:02 PM

flights come out to be around 64mpg per person so if you and your wife are driving anything less than 32mpg it's literally better for the environment to fly
Old 12-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Indeed. Felt conflicted in that movie...
Well if its any consolation his ultimate motivation was to impress Death itself so she'd become his girlfriend. That's a tad less defensible than, say, Ra's Al-Ghul who's entire MO is that too many people are starving the planet of resources and balance, and the only solution is full-scale genocide.

Comics are weird man.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
So I bend my handlebars a little bit and get labeled a troll (on a bike forum no less) and this thread is trying to flight shame me for going to see family for Christmas and troll isn't mentioned once........................

Post of the day!

Keep'em coming great discussion so far.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:22 PM

I always wanted to look into the passenger miles per gallon, but never got around to it. That makes me feel better about flying within the USA, rather that driving.

The only criticism that most folks can make is that many travelers are flying many more miles and using more fuel in total, than they ever would by car. If you fly half way around the world, frequently, you're going to have a big carbon footprint, despite the good mileage. Flying long distances to exotic places is not my hobby.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Well if its any consolation his ultimate motivation was to impress Death itself so she'd become his girlfriend. That's a tad less defensible than, say, Ra's Al-Ghul who's entire MO is that too many people are starving the planet of resources and balance, and the only solution is full-scale genocide.

Comics are weird man.
In the comics, yes; the movie made no reference to wanting to court the female personification of Death.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:39 PM

A lot depends on where you live. I live in NW Arizona and use the Las Vegas airport which is about two hours away. Corporate headquarters is in Virginia so I fly there a few times a year. They let me fly into Baltimore so I double it up with a trip to see my son at Annapolis. The company built factories in different regions of the country to reduce shipping costs and in turn fuel costs.

I drive everywhere else, I have a large SUV that gets around 24 mpg, even with bikes in the hitch rack. I make frequent trips to Flagstaff and Phoenix.

I'm hoping for nuclear powered airplanes, that'll solve everything. We tried it in the 50's and it failed, but maybe now it will work.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I always wanted to look into the passenger miles per gallon, but never got around to it. That makes me feel better about flying within the USA, rather that driving.

The only criticism that most folks can make is that many travelers are flying many more miles and using more fuel in total, than they ever would by car. If you fly half way around the world, frequently, you're going to have a big carbon footprint, despite the good mileage. Flying long distances to exotic places is not my hobby.
?? Full car is less than a 3rd of an airplane in emissions and this is by distance only which makes the comparison somewhat irrelevant as if we are talking vacation you would never go as far in the car as you would in a flight. You would simply choose a destination that is much closer.

So in terms of going vacation with the family it is likely that the car is what maybe at least a 10th or less in emissions in comparison with an airplane well likely even a lot less i guess ?
Attached Images
File Type: png Skärmavbild 2019-12-11 kl. 22.35.55.png (124.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Every small or large thing one can do to counter the warming of the planet is helpful. Of course.

That said, it is useful to look at one's overall carbon footprint. There are on-line tools which can get you a ball park (at least) estimate of what that is in different sectors as well as your cumulative impact. Then you can consider all the things you might do to reduce your impact. Your energy consumption at home or on your commute, for example, may have a large impact on your footprint. Maybe insulating your abode better could be the best action you could take.

I looked at this calculation earlier in the fall, and found that my footprint was decently lower than most Americans, even including the flights I take. Next year, I budgeted for a PV array to help cut fuel consumption at my place. I'll keep after it. I'll be trying to get more riding in, too.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:17 PM

I decided long ago that travel for the sake of travel was one thing I could cut out of my life and not miss much. I haven't flown since 1986, and haven't been over 150 miles from home since a train trip to VeloSwap Denver in 2004. Guessing that my most wasteful use of energy is buying "stuff". Trying to cut down on that. I still think that the best thing I could do for the environment is to die quickly, and often.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Our family is staying home for Christmas this year.
We will burn a big pile of old car tires to stay warm.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
In the comics, yes; the movie made no reference to wanting to court the female personification of Death.

One of the misses of the movies, I think. Thanos is a far more interesting character in the comics, but I get why they had to strip it out in service of the films' Big Bad needs.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Our family is staying home for Christmas this year.
We will burn a big pile of old car tires to stay warm.

I do it to speed up the global warming they have been talking about for 40+ years. It's cold here in Ohio, toss a couple aerosol cans on the fire.

I totally didn't know not flying for enviro reasons was a thing.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Well I'm driving 4000 miles this Christmas time. I have some time off I need to use up and ended up with a week and a half off work. My family lives in the Chicago region so I'm packing up my crew and we're driving 2000 miles each way. To fly my family of 4 is going to cost about $4000 and driving will be much less. My oldest is now 16 and can help drive a little. Figuring about 2.5 days each way. This will all be weather dependent - if a major storm is forecasted we'll just bail on the trip, stay at home and ski every day. Still debating which vehicle to drive and that may be weather dependent also. Unfortunately, neither is the most fuel efficient. My Sprinter would be best but my LX470 would be best if weather is sketchy. Either way, it will be an adventure.