Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I would saw off my weaker leg for a Nagasawa road frame- good luck with that.

Did Tom Oswald in Mansfield PA hit your radar? Not a big web presence but he's been building for quite a few years, and I've seen some of his frames, I think they're quite nice and some may fit the "bauhaus" thing I think you're looking for.
That’s a new one to me...will take a peak! I did suggest winter.

I - briefly - had a 3rensho road bike...I didn’t love it. Hyper aggressive, felt twitchy.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yamaguchi builds amazing stuff.

And if he's willing to waive the Northeast requirement, his options open up wayyyyy wider.

If he's specific and a bit, um, unique, Cheribum is another one to look at.
He might be attracted to cherubim actually...

Oddly, his northeast preference is about the only one I do agree with! I love our builders here, and I’m a fan of working with someone locally, who you can work with directly.

So of course I had my custom made in Italy

Worked out incredibly well.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Randomhead

Cherubim would be fun. They're on the east coast. Of Japan
Old 11-26-2019, 06:37 PM

For what it's worth, I don't think it's off the wall to want to give one's business to a minority-owned businessman or -woman (I take it that's what you meant by 'diverse background').

But most frame builders aren't wealthy, and they specialize in different things, and... really, they're more artists than businessmen. So you can never really have a situation where everything else is equal, except one frame builder is a person of color.

That to me is what makes the request a bit silly, but there's a good sentiment behind it, for sure.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
That’s a new one to me...will take a peak! I did suggest winter.

I - briefly - had a 3rensho road bike...I didn’t love it. Hyper aggressive, felt twitchy.
I had a few conversations with Tom quite a few years back when I was looking for a custom travel bike using Ritchey system lugs and he was very easy to work with and willing to go outside his normal envelope to design something for me. I ended up just getting a factory Ritchey in the end as I thought about an expensive custom bike getting banged around by TSA gorillas. I test-rode a fillet brazed cross bike once and loved how it handled (OK I broke a chain mid-race and he lent me his spare for a few laps- nice guy and great bike!)
Old 11-26-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think it's off the wall to want to give one's business to a minority-owned businessman or -woman (I take it that's what you meant by 'diverse background').

But most frame builders aren't wealthy, and they specialize in different things, and... really, they're more artists than businessmen. So you can never really have a situation where everything else is equal, except one frame builder is a person of color.

That to me is what makes the request a bit silly, but there's a good sentiment behind it, for sure.
Moth Attack in LA. I like the look of her bikes.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
In all seriousness, if experience is not a priority, then he sounds like someone who might have a good time building himself a bike at UBI or some such school.
I’ll second the motion he should consider a framebuilding class. Of course it is in my self-interest to also suggest this but at the same time I can provide reasoning why it might make sense for him. Professional framebuilders need to be locked into what they do best so they don’t waste time and be profitable. Usually there are some variations they are willing to do but naturally they are going to balk at doing someone else’s seat stay treatment that your friend thinks is perfect. Dave Kirk’s fastback seat stays come to mind. When designing the frame (in my class anyway) I spend several hours explaining the concepts before they start creating it themselves. This education can prevent arguments about doing things the way he thought before his knowledge was expanded. It gives him time to adjust to experienced recommendations. And if his ideas are a little off kilter it is his name (or no name his choice) that goes on the frame. He isn’t going to soil the reputation of the builder when he wants to sell it to get something better.

Every detail of aesthetics including modifying lugs and how stays are attached to dropouts can be his decision. Lots of my students like to carve lugs to their own design. Now as a word of caution not every framebuilding class provides the same results. I know this because I’ve had a substantial number of students that have already taken a class somewhere else. Anyway their frame won’t be poorly built because I can always step in when doing some hard part they are struggling with. Often their results are better than some pro builders product because they spend way more hours working on the fine points. Typically someone takes my class because they want to make more in the future but not always. I’ve had students that didn’t even want to bother with brazing so they could try out light tubing. Whatever, you might present this option to your friend to get his reaction. Good luck. Oh by the way I paint too but I don't have a gallery of pictures of student made frames on the internet to help persuade him. Of course I can send him pictures personally.

One builder’s name seldom mentioned because he lives in Iowa is Jeff Bock. He is very experienced doing road bikes and has a strong sense of aesthetics and does beautiful work. He does his own paint too. He has retired from teaching graphic arts in high school.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 11-26-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post

I understand where he’s coming from...I work in an industry that is not the most diverse, and I try hard to consider that when planning secondary education, and when finding our conference speakers.

That said, I’m not looking to solve injustice when picking a frame builder, and it is largely a white male hobby.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:20 PM

Aaron it sounds from your posts on the thread that your friend is very particular in what he wants. Just about any high quality frame builder that's been in the business for a reasonable length of time may not be a good fit. Many/most of the solid frame builders out there have their own style and type of bicycle frame that they'll build. Many of them will entertain some differences but any of them worth their salt is going to draw the line when things get to far afield. Good luck to you and your friend in finding a builder.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:40 PM

I can't offer any advice.

But I will ask Aaron O to keep us informed on how his friend progresses through this project.

I'd be interested in what builder he chooses, how the interaction went, and whether he got the product he wanted.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Aaron it sounds from your posts on the thread that your friend is very particular in what he wants. Just about any high quality frame builder that's been in the business for a reasonable length of time may not be a good fit. Many/most of the solid frame builders out there have their own style and type of bicycle frame that they'll build. Many of them will entertain some differences but any of them worth their salt is going to draw the line when things get to far afield. Good luck to you and your friend in finding a builder.
Agree...and that’s what I’m looking for when I go to a builder; I’m hiring expertise I don’t have.

I’m hoping he finds a builder who’s style jibes with him, and it just falls into place.

I’m going to be looking for an all rounder kind of build soon, and I definitely have a few weird ideas in mind. One thing I’m thinking of would be sort of like a ti rando build...but no decals. A comfy distance bike with some get up and go that would still blend in at the rack.

Last edited by Aaron O; 11-26-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Riding Along

This has the makings of a train derailing onto the set of the gong show. For the sake of your friendship provide him with some leads and let him go from there with as many caveats that release you from future blame as possible.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Aaron Rando bikes aren't my thing... BUT TI seems like it'd be a great material for that build and application. I look forward to seeing photos if/when you get it done.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:59 PM

I would think Winter would be a good choice... but he’s moved to Colorado, I think?
Old 11-26-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewK View Post
I would think Winter would be a good choice... but he’s moved to Colorado, I think?
I thought he was still mid-pa, but I’m not certain. I really like a lot of what he does.