Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Bilenky in Philly. If the shop and location doesn't scare him off, they can talk some sense into him. Honestly, I think you should just give him a couple of names and get out the way, a couple of conversations from the builders will set him straight, or not, and he can just hire somebody to repaint a Cervelo or something. Does he even ride, bro?

This is a crucial point. All of the Paceliners here ride at least five times per week. No ornamental frames here
Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
"He'd prefer someone with a more diverse demographic background..."

Not to stir the pot...but what does he mean with that? What does that have to do with making a good frame for him? I am curious...
Good question.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

As much as I like the entertainment value of this thread, here goes :

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113817

Just send him the list.

Done.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:07 PM

yeah but that list doesn't have anything about background, coffee liked, cholesterol numbers or views on the me too movement or even favorite architect... Seriously, the guy looking for a good frame builder or a date?

Last edited by cash05458; 11-26-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Administrator

did he go to the philly bike show?

sounds like you shouldnt even get involved if you want to stay friends, honestly.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:37 PM

I've been considering Horse Cycles A LOT.
Ben Falcon does his paint.

http://www.horsebrand.co/
Old 11-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
did he go to the philly bike show?

sounds like you shouldnt even get involved if you want to stay friends, honestly.
He did...he was attracted to some there (and I don't want to write names here) that I was less attracted to. I'm more traditional in my tastes...my priorities are experience first...reputation...communication with builder. To me, reliability is also a big deal. I'm likely to have my next frame built by Hanford (Simon) because I know him, I love him, I trust him, and I dig the work. It gives money to a local builder that, I think, is as good as most out there. Mr. Sachs would be among my top picks as well...I love the guy, I think his bikes are amazing, and his approach appeals to me.

Look - he views things differently than I do (and probably than most here), but it is his money. He rides, but this will never be his primary bike, and he's specifically stated it will spend time hanging as well. He wants both.

As far as the diversity thing, it's important to him. Would it be a factor I considered? Probably not...but it is to him, and it's his money.

Is Goodrich still in business? I think he'd be of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I've been considering Horse Cycles A LOT.
Ben Falcon does his paint.

http://www.horsebrand.co/
That's a new one to me - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
As much as I like the entertainment value of this thread, here goes :

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113817

Just send him the list.

Done.
Great list weisan - thanks! It's not entirely current from what I saw.

Last edited by Aaron O; 11-26-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
He did...he was attracted to some there (and I don't want to write names here) that I was less attracted to. I'm more traditional in my tastes...my priorities are experience first...reputation...communication with builder.

Look - he views things differently than I do (and probably than most here), but it is his money. He rides, but this will never be his primary bike, and he's specifically stated it will spend time hanging as well. He wants both.

As far as the diversity thing, it's important to him. Would it be a factor I considered? Probably not...but it is to him, and it's his money.
Given everything you've said, I think it was a mistake for you to try to talk him into a more experienced builder. He sounds like a great client for a new builder, who might be more interested in learning how to meet the needs of a challenging client, rather than a more experienced builder who has stronger ideas about what his/her frames should look like.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:05 PM

Brian Chapman at Chapman cycles. Beautiful bikes and a lot of experience, and also a very nice guy who could handle someone who's kind of a nudge.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
He has some very - specific - ideas, not all of which I agree with, and at least half I don't understand. I'm looking to recommend builders to him, and it's not going well.

Some of his preferences - and these are all weighted. Not dis-qualifiers individually:
Sounds familiar.
My girls used to have a great deal of difficulty choosing something they would eat for breakfast each morning. Very specific preferences, little knowledge of nutrition, and zero appreciation for the tight morning schedule.

Thankfully they grew out of it by the age of 6 or 7.

Instagram
Old 11-26-2019, 03:16 PM

He should go with whoever in Philly talked to him for more than 5 minutes a didnt immediately look like they were looking for the fire exit or a way out of the conversation.

It sounds exhausting.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Has built a reasonable number of frames (I talked him into this one)
Wait a sec. This^ criteria wasn't on his list?
I don't get it.

In all seriousness, if experience is not a priority, then he sounds like someone who might have a good time building himself a bike at UBI or some such school.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 11-26-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:30 PM

I froze when you mentioned 'architectural ' criteria. I've had peers with that approach, nice people, near impossible to work with... saying this as an architect. But maybe I'm wrong. He does want to have a builder close enough to visit and try to communicate his preferences, so that's good. I think the best advice is that a custom bike is a process, that the builder he wants will be an artist, not a technician who will build whatever he is told to build, and that he will have to be a client for any builder he might want to work with. He should absolutely go to next year's Philly Bike Expo. The discussions I had last year with builders, or listening in on other discussions, were fascinating. What resonated with me in those discussions was the sense of proportion among many of the builders. In a bike, its a whole different thing than a building. Just tubing size, one in relation to another, can make a huge difference visually. A good builder can get the ride right and also the proportion. I saw the Horse display that year, very cool. I also noticed Engin, which is right there in Philly too, off Germantown Ave. in Chestnut Hill. I think he should just start talking to builders, look at bikes he sees around, particularly for details - make a list of those- and not make judgements off of pictures on the internet. Weisan's paceline list is a great compendium, too. You're a good guy to try to help him.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Is Goodrich still in business? I think he'd be of interest.
Unfortunately, No. Been a little over 2 years now, I believe. Miss having him active in the local building scene. He was on the short list for my next road bike. as well.

If he liked Bishop, hard to argue with that direction. Always impressed by his work.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Maybe I should have just let him go with an art school newbie. Regardless of what I think, or others here think, it is his money, and I donā€™t love some of the insults, even if I may agree with the sentiment behind them.

Heā€™s a very bright, successful guy, but heā€™s also a bit stubborn. Regardless, he is a friend that Iā€™m trying to help find a person that appeals to him while also checking some of the boxes I look for.

Heā€™s looking at Bishop, so there is hope.