Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Here's a completely different answer. We have an upstairs vacuum and a downstairs vacuum, no hauling a vacuum up or down. Both corded and they have lasted years with only occasional belt and or beater bar replacement. That doesn't count my shop-vac which every guy should have.
My problem with a corded canister was dragging the canister attached by hose and cord to the sweeper/beater head up the stairs while vacuuming. If you get to be my age you will understand.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
My problem with a corded canister was dragging the canister attached by hose and cord to the sweeper/beater head up the stairs while vacuuming. If you get to be my age you will understand.
I just hope to get to your age and to be as smart and good looking as you.

My wife bought a little hand held Royal to vacuum the stairs. She has a thing for vacuums . She has 4 vacuums , I have 4 bikes so it's all even.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:06 PM

I use a hand-held mini-vac for stairs and even for the front doorway, the kitchen mat and all other tight spaces.

It's corded, but it's not heavy. It empties quick but I go outside and bang the filter on the curb to dislodge the ton of dust that issues forth down-wind.

It's called the Red Devil VIBE, it has a beater brush and has moderate suction that somewhat tries to lift the kitchen mat.

For matted carpet, I two-hand the thing, applying downward force at the head unit to raise the nap and dislodge dirt.

I am slowly becoming a convert to cordless things, but corded units usually have a good more power and can be bought for chump change at the thrift stores. So I am a hold-out with vacuums.

I got to try out my neighbor's cordless hedge trimmer today, and it seems like a likely future purchase. I mow my rather large and "technical" lawn with Neuton mowers having lead-acid batteries, and those things have proven to be long-lasting, six years on of hard use so far and all three identical units bought used and still working.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 PM

I have the Dyson V11 and you have to hold down the button to activate it. Once you keep pressing it after 15 minutes your finger will start to hurt. It does great suction otherwise.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Based on the recommendations from Wirecutter

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...-stick-vacuum/

I just bought a Hoover Linx ($129 on Amazon)

They don't like it nearly as much as they do the Dysons, but it should be plenty for the area around the cat litter boxes (cat litter on lino and wood isn't a huge challenge) and it's a heck of a lot less expensive.

Thanks to the OP for motivating me to get off my butt to do this.

Last edited by Louis; 11-01-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I gave my Miele canister vacuum to our cleaning lady who LOVES it. I was tired of wrestling it on our carpeted stairs. I bought the Dyson cordless that seems to be one step above their V-8 model at COSTCO knowing I could return it easily if I didn't like it. It's wonderful. I use it once a week for 20 minutes so I never run out of juice. The canister is VERY easy to empty and this baby really SUCKS! In a good way.
you've made a horrible mistake giving that away but I would be super stoked to get one for free as well. We have two sebo canisters and a riccar supralite. I'm a bit of a vacuum head and I like working on them, electronic motors and such. if it was a suction only version, it would make sense that it would be awful on carpet, as you need a power brush.

The Dyson v7/v8 are the best cordless stick vacuums available if that's your thing. find them used or refurbished to save money. I have read reviews about the new v11 being excellent as well but the v8 holding its own and being the best bang for your buck.

Last edited by cinema; 11-01-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:15 AM

I have a dyson v8 absolute and it makes me want to clean. The form factor and accessories make it ideal for almost everything, even your car.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 AM

We have two Dyson cordless. One upstairs and one down. Easy and quick to use. They work fine. But as the years go by, I’m annoyed by the noise. They are really loud compared to the Miele corded.

Anyone else find them noisy?

Jon
Old 11-01-2019, 11:19 AM
I need you cool.

picked up the Dyson V10 Animal at Costco a few months back....seems to do the trick....kids don't complain about vacuuming as much now....we have a Miele canister they used previously.

The canister is still the better vacuum (IMHO), but getting kids to help with weekend cleaning without the complaining is worth the investment in the cordless Dyson.

It is also handy for sucking up spiders that make their may into the house....
Old 11-01-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
I have a Dyson V6. I have had it for about 3 years, and overall I'm very pleased. My floors are tile and laminate, with one 5X8 area rug. I run it in the max position, and it has never run out of power on me but it's pretty easy to vacuum laminate and tile.

I only have one complaint, and it's the size of the container for the debris resulting from vacuuming. It's very small. Its small size isn't a problem for the hard surfaces, but on the rug it's a different story. I can fill the canister by simply vacuuming the area rug.

Bottom line from my experience is that if you have a lot of carpet, be prepared for a lot of stops, emptying out the canister. If you don't have a lot of carpet, I think you'll be pleased. It's a lot more convenient, and much lighter in weight that the typical vacuum cleaner.

I have the same one and similar flooring. We only have carpet on our stairs, 3 flights worth.
The battery lasts long enough for all the stairs, which frankly I don’t want to be vacuuming much longer than that anyways! The charging cradle is great too and holds the accessories making it always charged when needed.

I agree with the canister size but it’s easy to empty at least.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM

I have had a Makita 18v li-ion for 4 years. Battery lasts about 30 minutes. Very happy with it.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
We have two Dyson cordless. One upstairs and one down. Easy and quick to use. They work fine. But as the years go by, I’m annoyed by the noise. They are really loud compared to the Miele corded.

Anyone else find them noisy?

Jon
Yes it is loud.
We got a little handheld one too and even though it works well from a suction perspective, I dislike the design.

Besides the looks, the mechanism to empty the canister is finicky and just feels cheap.

Our battery died very early on, but CS and the warranty process were awesome.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Another vote for Dyson. Been quite happy with ours for the last few years.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:38 PM

I've been thinking about Dysons but Consumer Reports doesn't recommend them due to high repair rates. Interesting that the paceline pool says otherwise. Over in Canada, the official store often has 20% off refurbs at their eBay store which some people on redflagdeals have been satisfied with. Been thinking about it for a while since my Linx battery barely lasts 10 minutes.

The Hoover Linx is generally ok, but the battery sucks, especially over time. I have a spare battery now which helps. Also, if you have cats/long hair, you need to take apart the bottom piece from the stick part occasionally and fish out all the hair in between the two. Its a bottleneck so things get trapped in there and reduce suction.

We also have the Black & Decker 20v Lithium Flex wirecutter recommended - its great, but LOUD. And that charging stand is the cheapest piece of plastic I could've imagined. I'm surprised we haven't broken it yet.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 PM
n - 1

Bought my Dyson V6 about 2.5 years ago. It's been a good vacuum, however, the last 5-6 months, it's been acting up. Press the button, nothing happens, or it turns on for a brief moment. Called up Dyson and they said it's not the battery, but the main unit. It would cost us $205 to replace. A brand new unit (better unit) is on sale at $189 right now.

We'll probably end up buying a new one, but was hoping it would last longer. Wife loves it.