Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 05:41 PM

OT: Cordless Vacuums

Tired of lugging my current vacuum up and down stairs. Looking at some of the cordless. Certainly much easier to handle and reviews of the better ones suggest performance is close to the corded machines. Top of the line Dyson gets good marks as do a couple of the lesser models. What’s your experience as far as cleaning and time the battery works? Are they worth the money? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:43 PM

We've had good luck with the Dyson for years....battery still maintains good charge
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
We've had good luck with the Dyson for years....battery still maintains good charge
I’ve had my Dyson cordless for 1 year and 4 months and the battery dies in less than 2 minutes.

Contacting Dyson about warranty now. Standby for results

The corded Dyson we have has better suction power and a bigger capacity tank but also doesn’t have the convenience of the cordless.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 PM

crown and jt, would you let us know which models (V7-V11, Animal, etc) you have? I'm about to buy one myself and am sorting through the cost v review v feature puzzle.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 PM

Have a cordless Dyson too - V8 Animal?

Battery has been great for the past 2 years. I really wish the unit had a detachable battery, so that you can use/charge multiple batteries. I can see it being an issue with larger homes or huge messes.

Vacuum is great in "Eco" mode (1.5 hours), but is really awesome in "High Power" mode (~30 minutes). After that, it takes FOREVER to charge. I usually have to rush my vacuuming or split the job in half.

Definitely works around our small house and our cars with the 3 HAIRY puppers.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Small ring

Carpet or wood?
Old 10-31-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
crown and jt, would you let us know which models (V7-V11, Animal, etc) you have? I'm about to buy one myself and am sorting through the cost v review v feature puzzle.
Mine is V8 Animal. Just called dyson. 10 minute phone call--new battery being shipped.

Should be good to go--customer service was excellent.

I use mine on hardwood/tile and a couple rugs.

Last edited by jtakeda; 10-31-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:08 PM

we have the V10 animal. my wife swears by it.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:08 PM

dyson v6

I have a Dyson V6. I have had it for about 3 years, and overall I'm very pleased. My floors are tile and laminate, with one 5X8 area rug. I run it in the max position, and it has never run out of power on me but it's pretty easy to vacuum laminate and tile.

I only have one complaint, and it's the size of the container for the debris resulting from vacuuming. It's very small. Its small size isn't a problem for the hard surfaces, but on the rug it's a different story. I can fill the canister by simply vacuuming the area rug.

Bottom line from my experience is that if you have a lot of carpet, be prepared for a lot of stops, emptying out the canister. If you don't have a lot of carpet, I think you'll be pleased. It's a lot more convenient, and much lighter in weight that the typical vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by bthornt; 10-31-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I've considered getting a Dyson, but haven't primarily because they're hideous, and I can't stand the thought of giving any money to a company with such poor design taste, let alone having something like that in my home.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have 3 dysons, 2 are cordless and one full size. They have been fantastic, I swear by them. I got them all on super sale, refurb on ebay directly from dyson. They come with a year warranty always but I have had one for 6 years, one for 3 and one 6 months and all have worked flawlessly.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 PM

I have a v8 animal. Shop ebay-the housing cosmetically cracks and they're half price. I can't see the crack on mine. Its amazing. I'll never own another corded vac. Its better than my non upright dyson ball on carpet, and I use it more often because its an easy grab. Yes, the container is small. Yes, it dies quickly on high, but if you need high you have a mess to deal with. A killer piece of kit.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 PM

I gave my Miele canister vacuum to our cleaning lady who LOVES it. I was tired of wrestling it on our carpeted stairs. I bought the Dyson cordless that seems to be one step above their V-8 model at COSTCO knowing I could return it easily if I didn't like it. It's wonderful. I use it once a week for 20 minutes so I never run out of juice. The canister is VERY easy to empty and this baby really SUCKS! In a good way.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a completely different answer. We have an upstairs vacuum and a downstairs vacuum, no hauling a vacuum up or down. Both corded and they have lasted years with only occasional belt and or beater bar replacement. That doesn't count my shop-vac which every guy should have.