Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2019, 12:31 PM

You will see another charge later... check your paypal. It sucks because they itemize the tax as a separate item, so for that you will see a magical transaction of a couple of bucks later on.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
You will see another charge later... check your paypal. It sucks because they itemize the tax as a separate item, so for that you will see a magical transaction of a couple of bucks later on.
Ahhh... I see it now. Damn that kind of kills my ebay purchasing going forward. There's a bike online that I was thinking of buying, but the tax situation adds almost another $200 on top of the price. That's insane!
Old 10-28-2019, 03:03 PM

This going to suck, have my eye in a couple of things from europe, they charge taxes to them and I wont be able to pay for the items at all.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:19 PM

I purchased a pair of shoes from a guy with 37 feedback and he's been a member since 2011. He sells hiking gear from time to time.. I just got charged $16 tax on the shoes, on top of his $19 USPS shipping. I'm over ebay if this is going to be the way it works going forward.

My buddy bought a Campy record chain and wasn't charged tax. This is confusing..
Old 10-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Barely Hanging On

As a buyer, this is going to make me less inclined to buy things on eBay. As a seller who drops hints about where else the items are listed for sale, it's a good thing since prospective buyers have a motivation for using a search engine to find the listings.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 PM

If the 6% local tax is the difference maker in your ability to acquire something for a leisure activity.... you should probably consult with Suze Orman

Quote:
This going to suck, have my eye in a couple of things from europe, they charge taxes to them and I wont be able to pay for the items at all.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
If the 6% local tax is the difference maker in your ability to acquire something for a leisure activity.... you should probably consult with Suze Orman
6% of the price of a Campy Record Crank from PBK means I get to eat next week
Old 10-28-2019, 06:02 PM

6% over 600 bucks is not the same than 6% over 10 bucks chain... 6% over those 600 bucks means a lot for some people.

Im not a millionaire, probably im in the wrong sport??? Who knows at this point but many here count the dimes to get their stuff and the taxes will hurt everybody, will help the lbs thats for sure but the problem many of uss have is that lbs dont have in stock even the socks we like. I do not mind going to a LBS and sometimes I do to get cables and tiny stuff but for example shoes... nobody around has lake... only option is web and heck i have to look between the used shoes between 100 and 150 bucks because I cant pay for used 500 ones... socks for example... every lbs around has those sockguy ones but I do not like them so i have to go to the web for descent socks and actually believe it or not i have 3 pairs of socks rotating this year.... with jerseys, I get used stuff from friends because usually are a lot better than what I can get in the shops around but anyways...

Im not saying taxes is a bad thing but as you guys can see it is killing it for some of us because every dime counts and we are talking about used "Shytt". Wish to have a 80k+ job again and I wouldnt care... but is not the case and for many of us is not the case at all.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Get a Centaur and you'll eat for months

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublar View Post
6% of the price of a Campy Record Crank from PBK means I get to eat next week
Old 10-31-2019, 03:47 PM

Well I did some investigating today after having to pay around $70 in tax on a used frameset I purchased this morning. I called ebay to find out why I have to pay tax on a used item from a private seller.

Needless to say they did not have an explanation as to why.
I then decided to contact the NYS department of taxation and finance to see what laws have changed as for 20 years this was not standard procedure. The rep didn't have a very good answer either and said "well you have to pay tax on a vehicle". I responded with the item purchased was a used bike frame and does not require a license and registration to operate. He seemed flabergasted and said that any tangible item will be taxed in NYS to which I replied that I do not pay tax on any other used tangible item I buy on Craigslist or a garage sale. He went back to the tangible items line and brought up amazon, etsy and eBay again. I asked if the law had changed and his response was no.

I will no longer waste my time purchasing from eBay as 8% added to items that have already been taxed negates any perceived deal I would have got on the item. This seems like a scam to collect more money and if it is the buyers responsibility to pay tax on used items then why is it taken directly from eBay instead of sending me some sort of invoice?

The funny thing is that I just purchased some spurcycle bells from an actual retailer and did not have to pay any tax at all. Go figure!

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 10-31-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM

That's my issues with ebay... It's hit or miss. Paying taxes on a pair of shoes that were worn once doesn't seem right at all. I think there's some sort of stipulation that's supposed to be implemented, but ebay hasn't done it yet. There should be a check mark ox on what type of items are taxable and which aren't. So how does buying a car from ebay work? You pay taxes on the vehicle and taxes when you register it?

Just saying "Who cares and pay the tax" is crazy to me. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. At the bare minimum define what's taxable and what isn't, as buyers are getting charged here and there on the most random items.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:58 PM

I am going to write my local representative about this situation and see if I get a response because I do not understand how a corporation can tax used items from non retail sales or pick and choose what they tax?

Old 10-31-2019, 04:55 PM

This...!!!

We have to start making mailing lists with stuff and start dealing between us IMO... or... get together by areas and make a tiny swap meet once a month.

Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I am going to write my local representative about this situation and see if I get a response because I do not understand how a corporation can tax used items from non retail sales or pick and choose what they tax?

Old 10-31-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
This...!!!

We have to start making mailing lists with stuff and start dealing between us IMO... or... get together by areas and make a tiny swap meet once a month.

Maybe?
I was discussing something like this with my Sister in law as she is a jeweler and with changes made by Etsy this year is seeing sales tank as she is one person shop and not a huge corporate entity. Between etsy, eBay and the like small business owners are no longer thriving paving the way for larger corporate entities to take over even more of the general sales and $#!ting on the little guy.

There needs to be a new way to do e-commerce that is mutually beneficial to the small shops and the consumers IMHO. This is what these sites used to be, but the algorithms have changed as well as the policies which are starting to cripple the market for the small business owner and the consumer alike.

I filed a complaint with PayPal over the tax issue. I doubt that it will go anywhere, but I do a lot of business through them and would like a better explanation as to why I paid tax on a used item and was taxed on the shipping as well...

Old 10-31-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Does she ride street or dirt? Honestly I might not take advice from her. Put this in google; Suze Orman bad advice... Just my 2ยข worth. YMMV.

Back to the matter at hand. Will this be cleared up/explained by this weekend? I need a new frame.