Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I ended up going with a 44mm ht on my latest build. Rob custom machined the ht so weight/size isn't as bad as those Paragon headtubes. Paired with a 44mm dt, Max stays, tapered Columbus fork, t47bb. The 44mm dt pairs well with the larger ht. This is a replacement for my supersix Evo hm. I was going for all out stiffness. Smaller tubes don't take up as much real estate on the ht, really no reason to go oversized.

Those chainstays looks massive too! Looks fun, Id love to try one of those english out someday.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 01-12-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I ended up going with a 44mm ht on my latest build. Rob custom machined the ht so weight/size isn't as bad as those Paragon headtubes. Paired with a 44mm dt, Max stays, tapered Columbus fork, t47bb. The 44mm dt pairs well with the larger ht. This is a replacement for my supersix Evo hm. I was going for all out stiffness. Smaller tubes don't take up as much real estate on the ht, really no reason to go oversized.

I really like the aesthetics of the chunkier tubing. Looks like the frame means business.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Two identical frames, one built with a 44mm HT, the other 1 1/8.
What would be the actual weight differences?

I've been looking at possibly having a Ti frame built. When you consider F/F/HS, the difference between 1 1/8 and a tapered HT is 200g or so.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've been looking at possibly having a Ti frame built. When you consider F/F/HS, the difference between 1 1/8 and a tapered HT is 200g or so.
Not really anything important when you add the mass of the rider into the equation. Hell, even on a 20km mountain climb at full throttle it will only add up less than a minute. 200g is noise and that is noise that you can only hear in a race on some hilly terrain.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Not really anything important when you add the mass of the rider into the equation. Hell, even on a 20km mountain climb at full throttle it will only add up less than a minute. 200g is noise and that is noise that you can only hear in a race on some hilly terrain.
200g is quite a alot imo. Im suprised its that much tbh. Depending on what kind of build you are doing ofc. But on a new titanium frame with high end components, its not easy nor cheap to find 200 gram weight savings elsewhere.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 PM

It's definitely not nothing.

200g is half a pound, and the weight difference between headtube diameters in steel is probably even greater.