Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2019, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
you guys know he ("Skenry") is trolling you right?

At least I hope so....
The original thread is about climate change and how human activity is dumping YUGE amounts of CO2 and other 'stuff' into the atmosphere(a lot via aircraft) but Skenry thinks it's just a natural cycle..not sure where he thinks all that CO2 came from(the leading cause of climate change)...but think he really believes the climate change "deniers"..his choice, of course but..

Or he's just pulling our chain to get a rise out of us..little Xmas humor..ho, ho, ho...
Old 12-17-2019, 08:32 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I didn't get that impression.
I like to think the best of people, so I figured troll....
Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The original thread is about climate change and how human activity is dumping YUGE amounts of CO2 and other 'stuff' into the atmosphere(a lot via aircraft) but Skenry thinks it's just a natural cycle..not sure where he thinks all that CO2 came from(the leading cause of climate change)..
The argument is that CO2 emissions from natural processes such as volcanic eruptions, ocean releases and land decomposition are far greater in magnitude than anthropogenic emissions. Which is true, however the carbon cycle works both ways: oceans and land are also huge carbon sinks and they more or less suck up as much CO2 as they release. So anthropogenic emissions upset the natural balance of the carbon cycle. Some also argue that changes in solar radiation is responsible for upsetting the natural carbon balance, more so than human activity.

To me, it seems a dangerous experiment to try to see how much we can push the limits of the carbon cycle by continuing to pile on our emissions on top of the natural cycle, especially since the developed nations have the means to end the experiment (and help developing nations avoid it all together). Very few people would be willing to conduct a chemical experiment in a lab with a potential for a runaway reaction, no matter how small the probability, but that is essentially what we are doing. And at the rate we are going, I am starting to hope that the climate skeptics are right; that human CO2 is not bad (or even good) and everything will be OK. Not for our own sake (we don't have kids and don't plan to), but for the sake of our nieces and nephews and our friends' kids.

Last edited by fa63; 12-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.