Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 11:13 PM

I looked for my 4arm Potenza crank and found (thanks to someone here) a French company (I think) that would make one for me as a prototype because they were interested. I think they said it would be $150us + shipping though

I sold the bike with the parts !!
Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 AM

Anybody know where to get a 135 BCD narrow-wide chainring? The Amber website is down
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Maybe try emailing them. Perhaps they have some lingering stock that's not posted.
https://amber-bikes.com/contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruimteaapje View Post
Anybody know where to get a 135 BCD narrow-wide chainring? The Amber website is down
Old 06-20-2023, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Any narrow-wide options for Campag BCD cranks?

I asked this a few years ago, and I know the state of BCDs is in constant flux but is anyone making aftermarket chainrings for Campag's former 110ish BCD?

I have a few Campag compact cranks laying around and have a 1x drivetrain idea in my head and it would be cool if I could get a quality narrow-wide CR to go with one of them...
Old 06-20-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I asked this a few years ago, and I know the state of BCDs is in constant flux but is anyone making aftermarket chainrings for Campag's former 110ish BCD?

I have a few Campag compact cranks laying around and have a 1x drivetrain idea in my head and it would be cool if I could get a quality narrow-wide CR to go with one of them...
The 110 with the hidden bolt that's 112?
Old 06-20-2023, 03:46 PM

The 112mm BCD has a radius of only 1mm different than standard, so should take much time to elongate the hole on a standard 110mm BCD chainring. And even if the elongation is a little botched and ugly, it will be hidden behind the crank arm. :-)

Would you be putting the chainring in the inner or outer position? The outer chainring mounts agains flats on the crank on both sides of the chainring (inner surface on the 4 standard spider arms, and outer surface against the back of the crank), so if the chainring is the wrong width, it will warp when the bolts are tightened. If in the inner position, you'll have to add a spacer on the hidden 5th bolt to account for the missing outer chainring.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:58 PM

Like Mark McM says I've seen a few 110 BCD campy cranks where a generic 110 BCD narrow-wide was installed and the offset hole was drilled eccentric to accomodate the 2 mm. It worked fine.

This video explains it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2g...nyBikeProjects
Old 06-20-2023, 04:12 PM

Nick, Specialites/TA https://specialites-ta.com/ makes them and they are top quality. I have a couple bikes with them - the attached pic of the Alliance is one.

I learned this the hard way. I thought that math was math wherever, so 110mm would be 110mm anywhere on the planet - not so much with Campy, where 110 = 112. I resolved this in a different way from the solution provided above. I drilled the aluminum crank spider holes about 0.5mm larger, which does not change anything as far as strength of the crank arm, but allows for the Campy 112 BCD rings.

Here's the result with the (TA) Campy rings on standard 110 crank arms:

Last edited by dcama5; 06-21-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:01 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Nick, Specialites/TA https://specialites-ta.com/ makes them and they are top quality. I have a couple bikes with them - the attached pic of the Alliance is one.
:

The OP was asking about narrow-wide 1x chainrings, while the picture shows a 2x chainring configuration. I see a narrow-wide chainring for a GRX crank on their site, but no such beast for Campag.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:01 AM

Nice 135 BCD here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005370972169.html
Old 06-21-2023, 04:59 AM

For the 110 BCD, I’ve used the relatively low cost (~$26 DECKAS) narrow-wide 1x chainrings available on Amazon on a couple of Campy cranksets. I used a Dremel to open up one hole on the chainring for the hidden bolt (attach the chainring to the crankarm with the other 4 bolts to see where the hole needs to be larger). Takes just a few minutes. The hidden bolt fits with the spacer between the chainring and bolt head. Just need four 1x bolts or spacers. I haven’t looked at the video yet, but guessing it’s pretty close to what I did.

**edit: I just watched the video. I mounted the chainring on the outside, the video mounts it on the inside, so the hidden bolt setup will be different.

For Campy 135 BCD, I got some of the NW 135 chainrings off eBay, and those work great, too. No adapting required. I have a spare 40t and 42t NW 135 BCD chainring available I probably won’t be using (both in new condition) if anyone is interested.

Last edited by tmf; 06-21-2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post

I learned this the hard way. I thought that math was math wherever, so 110mm would be 110mm anywhere on the planet - not so much with Campy, where 110 = 112. I resolved this in a different way from the solution provided above. I drilled the aluminum crank arm holes about 0.5mm larger, which does not change anything as far as strength of the crank arm, but allows for the Campy 112 BCD rings.

Campagnolo hidden bolt CRs are 110mm..with the one behind the crank arm being 112mm. Not really sure why you would need to make the crank spider arm holes bigger. All of them.

Besides, there are a TON of true 110mm CRs 'out there. Non Campagnol ones.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campagnolo hidden bolt CRs are 110mm..with the one behind the crank arm being 112mm. Not really sure why you would need to make the crank spider arm holes bigger. All of them.

Besides, there are a TON of true 110mm CRs 'out there. Non Campagnol ones.

Thanks Peter. I bought the rings on this forum thinking they would fit any 110BCD crank. Also, I wasn't aware that it was only the one hole behind the arm that was out to 112. When they would not fit, I thought the whole bolt circle must be a little different for some reason. I started by just trying to enlarge one crank spider hole, but that was a no-go. Then I enlarged the two holes opposite the first, but still a no-go. So then I just did them all. Also, since I enlarged them only minutely, maybe it required all to get the needed 1mm - not sure, but it worked in the end.

Last edited by dcama5; 06-21-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Result: We have a working unit. Thanks all.

Old 06-24-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Result: We have a working unit. Thanks all.

Nick, congrats on the solution. I am guessing that the purple/pink bolts have some relation to the frameset or planned components. Also, that's probably not an accident to have that Lagunitas IPA in the pic, my wife and I like them also.

Last edited by dcama5; 06-25-2023 at 06:16 AM.