Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2023, 02:59 PM
Boeuf Chaīne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Once you accept that a quartz watch is perfectly sensible, more affordable, more reliable, and comes in a lot of choices, the world is your Oyster (pun intended). Buy yourself a nice suit (or entire new wardrobe) with the savings.
I'm perfectly happy to spend relatively small amounts of $ for mechanical watches. (by that I mean less than $1k. Above that (say $2k max) is harder to justify and I don't go there often at all)

This week I'm wearing my SKX007. Affordable and about as basic a diver as you'll find anywhere, and I like it just fine.

For those who aren't familiar with Seiko divers: (mine is on a strap, but not the OEM one, which is horrible)

Old 10-04-2023, 03:15 PM

It isnā€™t about function

When I dove there were good quartz dive watches, plus an issued dive computer on the air supply, right next to the gauge. When I couldnā€™t have a cellphone in a SCIF, there was a clock on the wall. When I used to be able to run for hours, a GPS watch gave me so much more useful info.
None of those things convey the same sense of history, beauty, craftsmanship, and artistry that a well designed and well executed hand wind or mechanical watch does (for me).
Old 10-04-2023, 03:32 PM

I have that in Pepsi with the jubilee. One of my favorites and cheap enough I never need to think about it.

My other daily wear is a G-Shock GAB2100. It reminds me of the AP OAK.

And my camping timex is another cheap one I enjoy wearing. Reminds me of an explorer 2!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 10-04-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I'm perfectly happy to spend relatively small amounts of $ for mechanical watches. (by that I mean less than $1k. Above that (say $2k max) is harder to justify and I don't go there often at all)

This week I'm wearing my SKX007. Affordable and about as basic a diver as you'll find anywhere, and I like it just fine.

For those who aren't familiar with Seiko divers: (mine is on a strap, but not the OEM one, which is horrible)

That has always been one of the cleanest, most beautiful watches ever made.

And yea, I have a couple.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-05-2023, 08:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
When I dove there were good quartz dive watches, plus an issued dive computer on the air supply, right next to the gauge. When I couldnā€™t have a cellphone in a SCIF, there was a clock on the wall. When I used to be able to run for hours, a GPS watch gave me so much more useful info.
None of those things convey the same sense of history, beauty, craftsmanship, and artistry that a well designed and well executed hand wind or mechanical watch does (for me).
Remember those digital watches where you set the 'beep' to correspond to your running pace? I had one and I couldn't hear the beep..bought it in Japan.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:15 AM

yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Remember those digital watches where you set the 'beep' to correspond to your running pace? I had one and I couldn't hear the beep..bought it in Japan.
My dad had one, late 70's or early 80's. his was audible and it annoyed me--he was way ahead of his time running with very high cadence--rapid-fire high-pitched annoyance: I used to ride my 10-spd and pass him water bottles on his long Sunday run 90-120minutes of that.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:47 PM

Selling off parts of my watch collection that either have never been worn or rarely worn (Alpina, Hamilton, San Martin, and Seiko).
Full descriptions and pricing via my eBay account: www.ebay.com/usr/open-4-sale

If any Paceline members are interested, DM me here and if we can work out an off eBay sale:
- I will give at least a 15% discount off listing prices (the fees eBay charges me)
- I will give a 5% donation to Paceline.

Watches crossed out in red have already been sold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTC 2023 December - Bike Posting.jpg (142.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 05-06-2024, 08:23 PM

This thread was a little more fun when it wasn't about NYCFixie selling those last few watches.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche.../m25827kn-0001

The new Tudor Pelagos looks a little over the top but I love that they changed the tachymetre to cycling speeds.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
This thread was a little more fun when it wasn't about NYCFixie selling those last few watches.

The new Tudor Pelagos looks a little over the top but I love that they changed the tachymetre to cycling speeds.
Fair enough (but I was trying to pass on some good deals to other Paceline watch enthusiasts as well as make a donation rather than give all that money to eBay).

That new Tudor "Cycling" Chronograph is very cool. If I had not purchased both the 1926 and FXD in the past few months it would be on my short list. Tudor has really been bringing the heat lately.

These are the ones I am keeping (for now):
2010 Rolex DateJust Steel/Gold 116203 36mm (milestone birthday present from my wife)
2019 Rolex Explorer II Polar 216570 42mm (sold last week).
2023 Rolex Submariner Date 126610LN 41mm
2023 Tudor FXD M.N. M25707B/23-0001 42mm (aka fixed lug strap monster)
2023 Tudor 1926 M91650-0005 41mm (the closest I have to a dress watch, now on blue leather strap)
2019 Oris ProPilot Big Crown Big Date 01 751 7697 4065-07 1 20 72FC 41mm (only date I can read without my reading glasses or a cyclops/magnifier)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTC 2023 December - Bike Posting 02.jpg (93.8 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by NYCfixie; 05-06-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:19 PM

I just swapped my 42mm Pelagos for the 39mm version. I do really like it. Tudor is on a run right now!
Old 05-07-2024, 05:34 AM
Administrator

I travel a bunch for work; which includes time zone changes, of course. In the good old days Iā€™d just keep my watch on ā€œhome timeā€ and do the conversion in my head.

Recently Iā€™ve been wearing my Garmin since Iā€™ve been running a lot. Turns out it auto adjusts somewhat randomly to time zone changes. I was in an airport connecting a couple of weeks ago and was oblivious of what the actual local time was as my watch was in between actual time zones.

Full stop. Back to wearing a trusty mechanical automatic watch this week on the road.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I just swapped my 42mm Pelagos for the 39mm version. I do really like it. Tudor is on a run right now!
I tried the 39mm Pelagos but thought it was too small for my almost 8" wrist.

When the FXD Blue was announced I was unimpressed. Then the FXD Black was announced and my AD had both so I checked them out side by side. In person I found the black to be boring but really liked the blue. It is a different blue than both the Pelagos 42mm Blue and the BB58 blue which is nice. I have so many "single pass" straps for the FXD at this point it is a bit silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I travel a bunch for work; which includes time zone changes, of course. In the good old days Iā€™d just keep my watch on ā€œhome timeā€ and do the conversion in my head.

Recently Iā€™ve been wearing my Garmin since Iā€™ve been running a lot. Turns out it auto adjusts somewhat randomly to time zone changes. I was in an airport connecting a couple of weeks ago and was oblivious of what the actual local time was as my watch was in between actual time zones.

Full stop. Back to wearing a trusty mechanical automatic watch this week on the road.
I work in tech and still have never been able to make the Apple Watch work (for me).

I purchased a new in 1994 Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 40mm and had it for 25 years. For the first 15 years it was my only watch. I wore it everyday and it was great GMT watch for both business and personal travel. In 2019, someone offered me too much money for it so I sold it and purchased the newer Rolex Explorer II Polar 216570 42mm (see above in earlier post). Unfortunately, I never connected with the newer version and just sold it after about 5 years of ownership. I no longer travelling for business reasons and do not feel safe wearing a expensive and noticeable watch even for personal travel these days (watch crime keeps going up).

The other nail in the coffin, that was my 42mm Explorer II Polar, is that my father gave me his Tag Heur Carrera Twin Time which he no longer wears. I feel less worried about wearing it these days than I do wearing any Rolex.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 05-07-2024 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Since I donā€™t actually have a GMT watch in my very small collection of 4 watches, I set my chronograph to run non-stop at midnight of my ā€œhome timeā€, and set the actual hands to whatever local time is. Very much a bodge job but it gets the job done - and I have no need for the chronograph function as a lab timer while traveling anyhow
Old 05-07-2024, 07:59 AM

My Casio GAB2100-1A is flawless with travel and time zones. It has Bluetooth with very basic connectivity to an app but automatically adjusts each time it senses change.

I was in Vegas for work last week and picked up a swatch - omega moon watch. I think it was a bit pricey for what it is but it looks pretty neat. It is very lightweight and is good quality but looks and feels like plastic even though the base is a ceramic blend.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:43 AM

Glad this thread popped up, as I have a watch question. I have a Seiko 7A28-7039 chronograph that I've had nearly 40 years. It works great, but I managed to lose a bracelet link. Finding a replacement has proven very difficult. Any suggestions from the forum on locating a replacement link?

Thanks,
Greg

Tags
braceline, man bracelet