Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2024, 09:11 AM

Permethrin treated tights?

Increasing cases of alpha gal here on MV have me wanting to up my tick repellent game from permethrin treated socks. I can't find tights that come pre-treated. Insect Shield has women's leggings but no comparable product for men, and those are 90% cotton 10% spandex so I wonder how they keep their shape.

Any pointers? I can treat my own with permethrin solution but that doesn’t last as well as factory treated applications.
Old 10-05-2024, 09:39 AM

I think I'd rather just treat my own.

How do you know how long the factory treatment lasts?

SPP
Old 10-05-2024, 09:45 AM

I've been using the spray-on Sawyers Product Permethrin for the last 5 years for yard work, trail work and hiking here in coastal Maine. Instructions say to reapply every 6 weeks or 6 washings. It works as I haven't even seen a tick on the clothes or me after using the clothing. I also use a pair of tick guard gaiters for when I know the risk is especially high like when brush clearing. I have seen numerous ticks on them while in the field as they are a lighter beige color. Easy to brush off in those cases.

I don't find the protection process cumbersome or expensive at all and I like that I'm in control of the process instead of the clothing manufacturer. I mean eventually, you'd have to replace your clothing or reapply Permethrin anyway, so why not be in control from the get go? At least that's my thinking.

I also couple the Permethrin treated clothing with Picardin on the skin for a more complete protection.

Avoiding a meat allergy is surely high on the list of things to avoid. But babesiosis and Lymes disease are just as high on the list for me as I know several people who have had those diseases. One of my best friends even lost his career to Lymes disease and even 20 years later still suffers the effects of chronic Lymes.
Old 10-05-2024, 10:19 AM

So I can only read the clothing manufacturer's claims about the product - see Insect Shields FAQs.
I just did a “soak in a baggie” style treatment I read about on Section Hiker on a pair of tights, with Sawyer's 0.5% solution, using about 8 oz. I imagine spraying is more economical! But Sawyer says 6 week durability and I wonder if I will pay enough attention to keep up with it.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
So I can only read the clothing manufacturer's claims about the product - see Insect Shields FAQs.
I just did a “soak in a baggie” style treatment I read about on Section Hiker on a pair of tights, with Sawyer's 0.5% solution, using about 8 oz. I imagine spraying is more economical! But Sawyer says 6 week durability and I wonder if I will pay enough attention to keep up with it.
Thanks for sharing that info. $9 per garment and Insect Shield will treat it for you. That's a nice service and I'll consider it going forward. I also like the baggie soak and may try that, too. Great options.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:48 AM

I use the big spray can and treat my yard working and fishing clothes. In Wyoming, I ride my gravel bike out on BLM roads and deer flies will bite through lycra. I have three pair of PI bibs that I treat with permethrin and just use those for gravel rides. Upper body, I use repellent like OFF! for the gauntlet of mosquitos along the irrigation canal.

I have two Columbia hooded fishing shirts I treat every other month and they've been good. I have cycled in them when the bugs were especially bad. Six washes is a good rule to follow.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:54 AM

I would feel better about spraying it on the outside of clothing vs soaking clothes and letting the stuff dry.

I'm not sure I would want the residual chemical against my bare skin.

SPP
Old 10-05-2024, 12:23 PM

Be careful if you own cats.

Permethrin is highly toxic to them. I cannot use it and use a Picardin spray on me and my dogs when outside.
Old 10-05-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLeader View Post
Thanks for sharing that info. $9 per garment and Insect Shield will treat it for you. That's a nice service and I'll consider it going forward. I also like the baggie soak and may try that, too. Great options.
I think I'm going to use the Insect Shield service as well, I just wanted to get something right away as I keep hearing about people I know with alpha gal. I wonder if with climate change if these buggers are year round? Do I need to treat winter tights for instance?
Old 10-05-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to use the Insect Shield service as well, I just wanted to get something right away as I keep hearing about people I know with alpha gal. I wonder if with climate change if these buggers are year round? Do I need to treat winter tights for instance?
At least in the upper Midwest, ticks are generally inactive below 32°F.

But they become dormant and don’t die unless it’s around 0°F.

We’re fortunate to have few Lone star ticks (typically the ones that can transmit alpha gal sensitivity) around here.
Old 10-05-2024, 03:19 PM

I can attest the the effectiveness of the Section Hiker soak-in-a-baggie method. I do it outside wearing gloves. Once it’s dry, it’s supposed to be safe for humans. I’ve never had a tick when wearing treated clothes despite walking through thick brush.

Quote:
Old 10-05-2024, 09:16 PM

It’s really easy to spray clothes with Sawyer Permethrin, hang them up, let them dry. You’re good for a month or longer. I’ve been using this on outdoor clothes for probably 15-20 years. The stuff works like magic. We have cats so I spray it outdoors and let it dry. When it’s dry, it doesn’t bother cats.