Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2022, 11:01 AM

Not that there is anything wrong with upper-end Shimano groups, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the OP should get a Campy Chorus group and be done with it. Only potential issue is cassette-wheel compatibility...

OP - if you can do a little test ride on the Campy stuff, it would be worth your while to see what you think of the shifter ergonomics and the like. I have both Shimano and Campy bikes, both are fine, but I have a slight preference for Campy.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Sure, PM me or email below BTW-Pretty sure those Mavic wheels are 11s compatible..Mavic made the FHB taller for some reason when it was '10s shimano compatible

cp51errc@gmail.com

As for 9s crank with 11s chain..which crank do you have now? The only real issues are the distance between the rings for 9s and a narrow 11s chain. If you are deliberate when you shift, probably no issue but the 11s chain 'may' get stuck between the rings.
PLUS..depending on front der/shifters...having proper fder' 'throw' to not have rubbing when in some CR combos...like on big ring and smaller cogs.
11s shimano fder is very positional...adjustment with a 11s chain/shifters/front der and 9s crank may be challenging.
Email sent.

As for my crank: I have a dura ace 7800 in 53/39.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
Not that there is anything wrong with upper-end Shimano groups, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the OP should get a Campy Chorus group and be done with it. Only potential issue is cassette-wheel compatibility...

OP - if you can do a little test ride on the Campy stuff, it would be worth your while to see what you think of the shifter ergonomics and the like. I have both Shimano and Campy bikes, both are fine, but I have a slight preference for Campy.
In retrospect, I wish I would have looked at campy before ordering a bunch of shimano components. They problem with the r8000 ultegra crankset breaking under load is bothering me. But it is what it is. I'll give it a shot and see how it holds up for a couple of years, though I do think I'll miss the feel and appearance of my 7800 crankset, which seems infinitely durable.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bear View Post
Email sent.

As for my crank: I have a dura ace 7800 in 53/39.
That's an 10s crank so no issue using it with otherwise 11s kit..

I sent ya an email...