Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 PM

Shimano Pro Vibe compact
Deda Zero100 RHM
Enve Compact
Shimano Pro Vibe Gravel 12 degree flare
Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Forgot to add I have been extremely pleased with the Ritchey one-piece bar/stem.
Great fit and since it is a single piece, it is firm, stout, rigid, and totally quiet.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:47 PM

Bontrager doesn't get a lot of love on the Paceline, but I happened to pick up a pair of these and (after decades on drops with flattened or "ergo" sections) I'm digging the fully-rounded drops:

Old 12-11-2019, 12:46 AM

Similar preferences here:
Several Deda Zero 100’s
A couple Fi’zi:k Bulls
a Nitto Noodle
A Shimano PRO Vibe Round - a discontinued favorite
A Shimano PRO Gravel 12*
Old 12-11-2019, 04:05 AM

I too never liked ergo bars and stuck with traditional round drop bars until last year when I discovered the Easton bars with their MCD shape. They are fantastic.

You get the benefits of modern bars on the tops with a flat ramp to the hoods along with a drop shape that is closer to traditional bars than most ergo bars in that the area you grip is more horizontal than it is vertical, as I find many ergo bar drops are.

EC70 SL or EC90 SLX variants will get you the MCD shape.

The diagram is for the Aero versions of the MCD shape but the normal round topped bars have the same shape in the drops and the same overall dimensions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easton EC90 - EC70 Max Contact Drop bar architecture.jpg (57.2 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 12-11-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
My favourite bars are Nitto, size, price and performance tough to beat.
I also like the Nitto M151 as well as Soma Highway One.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Member?

+1 on the Easton aero bars.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Remember whatever you do that bar reach varies more than you might think so check each to arrive at the ideal reach for you.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 AM

I love my Enve aero 44mm - 44 is more like a 42 on these. Plus being able to rest my palms on flat section nice. Had them for years at this point and zero issues....... Really like how the hoods flank out as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IF 44Enve.jpg (35.3 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Robot870; 12-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Remember whatever you do that bar reach varies more than you might think so check each to arrive at the ideal reach for you.

Curious what you mean here? Are you saying reach varies more than the actual values stated by the manufacturer or making a general statement that there is variability between bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 11:57 AM
#RYFB

Thanks all.

I'm intrigued by the positive comments on adding a bit of flair, may give the Salsa Cowbells a try since they're a relatively low cost option, though I wonder if they'll look slightly out of place on a Peg.

Re: Thomson -- does the "road round" model also carry the 31.8 diameter out to the bends like the KFC model? The pictures I find indicate that they do.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Deda 35s. Just a killer bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
i'm partial to Thomson KFC bars due to the full 31.8 size all the way to the hoods before they taper thinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
...Re: Thomson -- does the "road round" model also carry the 31.8 diameter out to the bends like the KFC model? The pictures I find indicate that they do.
Big fan of the Deda 35s. I had the Zero100s with the same RHM shape and these are just better overall. Love the size and the stiffness works well for me without being harsh.

I had the Thomson KFCs and the 31.8 all the way out, plus the radius on the top-to-hood curve was really nice. I find the Trentacinque to be just that much better. You'd like going from 78.5 to 75.0mm reach would be that noticable but it is, as is the reduction in drop from 134 on the KFCs to 130 on the Deda is as well (the Road drop is 137 so even more noticeable.

Had a set of the Thomson roads too; I think they were 31.8 to the hoods, but because they have a more egg-shape top they didn't feel quite the same.

Personally changing to 35mm computer mounts was a small price for a positive change in bar feel and comfort.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
That's handlebars, not taverns.
Ha! I admit, handlebars were my second thought. And yes, only saddles are more time and resource intensive to get right, ATMO.

For a frame as special as a Peg, I would definitely recommend giving Deda, as mentioned, and 3T some consideration. I have no experience with Fizik and Enve bars, but I would also throw those into the mix. FSA bars didn't appeal to me, but maybe they work for you.

I rode my Zipp Ergo Bend SLC2 bars I got on closeout from Excel for years and never really thought about what might be better. Great bars, but after switching to a Deda Zero bar/stem combo, I was pleasantly surprised by the overall feel and stiffness improvement. Partly because Zipp short and shallow versions work much better for me and my current build on my race bike.

Trying them is a pain, but riding them for a day without bar tape can make the process go faster. After an initial impression and you think they're contenders, throw any tape on and give them a thorough test. This is what I would do, anyway. And only if I'm not in any big hurry to dial in a Peg.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:51 PM

Deda RHM, it's hard to beat.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Deda 35s. Just a killer bar.
Same but am going back to Deda Super Zero for my next bike. The 35mm stem and bars are brilliant but sometimes a thinner stem just looks better. Plus my 35mm stem faded out to bleach red pretty quick.