Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 01:36 AM
Gallant C.

I installed a hitch on my Toyota Sienna minivan and it often bottoms out and scrapes when coming out of driveways. So just be cognizant that minivans don’t have a lot of clearance. Not sure your minivan model so you may have no issues. Also plus one for 1 Up USA racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Agreed. I am extremely cheap so I went the DIY route, but before my buddy came over with his torque wrench, I spent a good amount of time on my back... struggling. I even called uhaul to see how much it was going to cost for just labor.. It was close to $300 iirc..... i got right back out there!
I'm guessing that was with the wiring as well. I didn't install wiring on the minivan when I installed the hitch, as I wouldn't tow anything with it (not rated to tow anyway). On the Outback, I bought the trailer wiring myself for cheap. It was a 5 minute job--plug n play.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM

I had the exact opposite experience with uhaul, and being in NYC where customer service is pretty much a word that doesn't really exist anywhere I was expecting the worse, but I went in there, and they got it done perfectly, I chatted a bit with the actual installer and I could tell that he was very serious of doing a good job and was taking his time to get it right (supposedly my car was a difficult one to deal with).
anyhow that's my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:19 AM

I have a 1UP heavy duty rack with one addition....for 2" receiver. So can carry 3 bikes on their wheels in trays.

Can't say it's the best rack out there. Haven't used the others. What I can say it's made solid, doesn't wobble around while driving, it folds up to a compact size when not in use.....and if in my garage doesn't use up much storage space. And it holds my wife's 50 lb E bike like it's nothing. And a Recumbent bike with wheel base no more than 50'' will fit on it. Just wish it had a better way to hold a bike with fenders.

I know a few racks will accommodate bikes with fenders, and maybe one folds up also. To me...ability to fold up in a compact size....and not use up a whole garage wall is a big plus. I am very satisfied with my 1Up for my use.