Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 03:32 PM

20 years ago my sister gave me a set of Henkel knives. The set was prob about $100. The handles started to break apart so we went shopping for a new chef and boning knife a few years ago and splurged on the Shun brand. Think the Chef knife was about $200. You can still go a lot more expensive.

I could feel the difference in quality and balance.

I ended up taking a class on sharpening them too as I got tired of dropping them off at the local kitchen store to do it. The instructor said German steel tends to be softer than Japanese steel and based on my Henkels and Shuns, I agree.

If you're not breaking the bank by doing so then I'd say go for a nice knife. A very good one lasts a life time.

If you think she'd like it, maybe she'd like a class on sharpening as well. Could lead to getting a stone, holder and lapping plate though - that can be quite a few extra bucks. But if she loves to cook then a razor sharp knife in the kitchen is a must for a serious chef. Sometimes these shops that offer the services just contract it out to someone with a machine that ruins the knives.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:33 PM

I agree. Keep the receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I have a mixture of knives from Japan, Germany and USA. I'd suggest choosing one that is beautiful as well as nicely balanced, etc. because it is a special gift for a special person but............I would buy it from a place with easy returns. I say this because a knife that is a perfect fit for one person may not be ideal for another person. I'd guess that when men buy knives for women they very well have a bit more weight and a bigger handle than the woman would choose for herself.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:36 PM

8 inch is a good size for easy handling and medium/smaller items, I use a 10 for almost everything. Stainless is convenient, high carbon just needs a little more cleaning care.

Look into a wood block to park it in and a stone.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I have a mixture of knives from Japan, Germany and USA. I'd suggest choosing one that is beautiful as well as nicely balanced, etc. because it is a special gift for a special person but............I would buy it from a place with easy returns. I say this because a knife that is a perfect fit for one person may not be ideal for another person. I'd guess that when men buy knives for women they very well have a bit more weight and a bigger handle than the woman would choose for herself.
a good point. Also single bevel or double bevel? and also japanese or western handle?

Either way id give the folks at bernal a call theyre super informative. If youre really looking to spend some $ for an awesome nice check out silverthorn
Old 12-08-2019, 03:46 PM

If you’d like to go custom I have a few names to give you if not my default with everything sharp is Chris Reeve
Old 12-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Lamson

I'm partial to Lamson Sharp. The factory used to be in my hometown of Shelburne Falls, MA (D2R2 country!). They have sense moved production to I think Westfield, MA, but they still have a store in Shelburne Falls. Free lifetime sharpening if you send them in. I've had mine for years and just added a nice new bread knife to my collection on black friday.

https://lamsonproducts.com
Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Does it have to be a surprise? Various offerings feel different and the user might really prefer one style to another -- or not. If it needn't be a surprise, you could simply go to a kitchen store and let her try some. Somebody mentioned the Victorinox knives, some of which are a very good value. As with many things, the sky is the limit, but for 8" chef's knives there's a world of offerings in the 80 - 175 dollar range and it's easy to check them out.

My main chef's knife is Japanese but I still have my 30-plus year-old Wusthoff knives. They are very good examples of what they are -- symmetric German stainless knives that, with a modicum of care, will outlast you. They are, as has been pointed out, heavier than some other options, and your wife might like that or not (or not notice). There are other steels out there, other blade shapes, variations on the handle, etc., etc. Many folks don't care (or don't know and adapt to what they have). The main thing, with a 75 dollar knife or a 300 dollar knife (or a custom knife) is to keep it sharp. If she likes how the knife feels, and it's kept sharp, all will be well.

And there's no need to worry about building up a set of the same things, unless she really wants that -- a paring knife or petty needn't match the chef's knife and specialty knives can get pretty specialized.

Last edited by djg; 12-08-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
My mother and wife would like to kick yer ass.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 PM

If you're in the Chicagoland area, I'd suggest paying a visit to Northwestern Cutlery (nwcutlery.com) or give them a call and ask their advice:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
I'm partial to Lamson Sharp. The factory used to be in my hometown of Shelburne Falls, MA (D2R2 country!). They have sense moved production to I think Westfield, MA, but they still have a store in Shelburne Falls. Free lifetime sharpening if you send them in. I've had mine for years and just added a nice new bread knife to my collection on black friday.

https://lamsonproducts.com
I was looking at these (have other Lamson kitchen gear) but settled on a kitchen knife set from Buck. Got 20% off something through their online store at the time. Super happy so far.

Last edited by sipmeister; 12-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:51 PM
AZ Slowpoke

https://maumasifirearts.com/pages/gallery

A bit on the pricey side, but, the quality is outstanding, edge retention outstanding, balance perfect and beautiful. Mareko is an incredible craftsman.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:36 PM

Because it's a gift, go a little special. https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/

I love the 8" chef because it's not too big for my wife or too small for me.
-Mike
Old 12-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Whatever you get, here you go:

https://www.worksharptools.com/produ...ool-sharpener/

Makes even a decent knife awesome.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:48 PM
extremely tall

I think you should get her a Peloton.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
My mother and wife would like to kick yer ass.
They may have to get in line.