Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Was there really so little inventory left when Serotta closed, that there were no frame parts purchased in say, an auction or fire sale?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:46 PM

If Serotta had inventory, the end would have been sooner. Call Dave Kirk a get a new bike, it's like buying a new binding for a 20 year old ski. That thing is knackered, done etc. Bronze it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Was there really so little inventory left when Serotta closed, that there were no frame parts purchased in say, an auction or fire sale?
Old 10-11-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
If Serotta had inventory, the end would have been sooner. Call Dave Kirk a get a new bike, it's like buying a new binding for a 20 year old ski. That thing is knackered, done etc. Bronze it
This^^^

Odds are reasonable that DK had a hand in the object of your current affection and he is more than well-suited to crafting a suitable replacement.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:45 PM

Didn’t this business end up with some of the closed shop inventory:

http://www.serottaparts.com/forks-tubes.html

No affiliation, just remember them posting on the forum at some point selling frames.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:34 AM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Didn’t this business end up with some of the closed shop inventory:

http://www.serottaparts.com/forks-tubes.html

No affiliation, just remember them posting on the forum at some point selling frames.
CoolPlanetBikes
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I didn't notice that the size was listed at all on the Atlanta craigslist posting. The Sizzler paint scheme shows in the 2000 catalog, so unless it's a repaint that's likely a CSI. Guess it could be an Atlanta but most Atlantas are solid colors. Serial number will tell both size and model.

Here's another that has plenty of photos but could be a CSI or something else. Again, serial number should tell all. Most likely a repaint but looks great.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/d/...994744925.html
The one listed is a Colorado II. The horizontal rear drop outs give it away. It is early 90's and has gone back to the factory to have rear brake routing made external. I have one with a simaler history. Also, to ID an Atlanta when looking for a CSI look at the seat tube lug, it will be cast and the set tube bolt goes though the cast lug.

Last edited by Black Dog; 10-12-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Steel..what else??

New steel frames ride so good.
I wouldn't go back to my 90's bikes.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:41 AM

It's not that I don't have other, modern bikes - I do:

I just had a lot of fun on that CSi, and it was without doubt one of the most handsome bikes I have (or had).

I've got a Colorado CR that's in the server room of our Broomfield office that I'll have shipped back to me, and I'm also in discussions with a friend to buy his CSi - although interestingly it's got different tubes to mine.

Mine has a standard top tube, but swaged seat an downtubes. His has an oversize top tube, swaged seat tube, but a straight downtube.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:45 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It's not that I don't have other, modern bikes - I do:

I just had a lot of fun on that CSi, and it was without doubt one of the most handsome bikes I have (or had).

I've got a Colorado CR that's in the server room of our Broomfield office that I'll have shipped back to me, and I'm also in discussions with a friend to buy his CSi - although interestingly it's got different tubes to mine.

Mine has a standard top tube, but swaged seat an downtubes. His has an oversize top tube, swaged seat tube, but a straight downtube.
I do not think that this is possible. A straight downtime would have to be 35mm OD to fit in the BB shell; there was never a head tube lug that could accept a 35mm tube that Serotta had made or used.

By the way, the bike above is really nice! You found Waldo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1Gpq7.jpg (52.7 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Black Dog; 10-13-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:50 AM

It's this one:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1463139

May well have measured wrong, I suppose.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:53 AM

^^ It has "Objectif Lune" on the stem, a small (notional) prize to the first person who can work out why.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
It's this one:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1463139

May well have measured wrong, I suppose.
It is swagged but the difference is only a few mm. 32-35mm the seat tube is ~29-35mm and more noticeable.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:10 AM

it won't be a CSI anymore

it will be an aglomeration of stuff with CSI as part of the paint job...only. Get some Serotta decals made, order a new custom (without the swaged tubes perhaps) and get a painter to replicate the paint job. Don't tell anybody and pretend you did the right/smart thing. And if you stick with your plan, enjoy that too.

I sort of understand where you are coming from. My friend inherited a 1973 Mercury Comet V8 when her parents passed away. It is in nice condition but not pristine. She has spent $2500 on it to get it driveable and wants to sell it for $6000 but will only sell it to the "right" person who will care for it as her parents did. To me it's a crappy old American not very interesting car. To her it has remarkable sentimental value. I think you and she are in the same boat.

Quote:
This isn't going to make financial sense, I admit that 100%.

However, as a counterpoint, there are no Serotta CSi for sale on eBay (globally) at the present moment.

Last edited by eddief; 10-13-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 AM

My context, which is also car based - 70's 911's go for ~£100,000, and are often rebuilt from shells which largely vanish post-blasting.

There's a premium put on an original panel car, but no one denies that a restored 1973 911 is anything but a long-nose.

The view of posters on this thread is 100% that even if I rebuild the CSi with Serotta tubes then it's not a Serotta afterwards, which is interesting.

if I rebuild the frame part of the fun is sourcing NOS parts, and the goal is of course to end up with something which is indistinguishable from a NOS original frame.

I don't think that hobbies need to make financial sense - my other hobby has led to the creation of two 3.7 litre flat-six engines that rev past 8,250 rpm and produce 400 horsepower.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
My context, which is also car based - 70's 911's go for ~£100,000, and are often rebuilt from shells which largely vanish post-blasting.

There's a premium put on an original panel car, but no one denies that a restored 1973 911 is anything but a long-nose.

The view of posters on this thread is 100% that even if I rebuild the CSi with Serotta tubes then it's not a Serotta afterwards, which is interesting.

if I rebuild the frame part of the fun is sourcing NOS parts, and the goal is of course to end up with something which is indistinguishable from a NOS original frame.

I don't think that hobbies need to make financial sense - my other hobby has led to the creation of two 3.7 litre flat-six engines that rev past 8,250 rpm and produce 400 horsepower.
Who cares if it is a "Serotta" after the work. If it rides the same as the original then mission accomplished. Focus on the ride and not the sentiment.