Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 05:34 AM

Serotta tubes and BB shell sought.

Morning all, I need to rebuild my CSi (pictures to follow), it’s been one of my favourite bikes and I’ve ridden it in the UK, around Europe and in the US so it has a lot of personal value to accompany the miles it’s done.

I’m now in need of a swaged downtube, seat tube and bottom bracket shell- said BB shell needs to be for 35mm tubes.

I seem to recall that Bilenky bought the swaging machines from Saratoga - is that correct or am I mistaken?

Even if they’d make me the correct tubes I’d still need a BB shell - would anyone have a lead for me?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Bronze that one and get a new one...seriously

If you've blown out a BB, seattube and downtube...willing to bet you've got a few other things going on. Plus the cost of the project. The CSI was a great bike, but....
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM

I've not crashed it, but to rebuild it to a perfect state is going to take those parts. Over here in the UK it's a very rare bike, so finding another is not straightforward.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Which problems do you actually have with the frame???

Do you have pictures? asking because here usually they swap tubes, in my country we used to repair the stuff when there was no chance to get the right tubes you know.... so what is wrong with the frame???
Old 10-11-2019, 08:57 AM

The seat tube has been replaced (when I first bought the frame) but the quality of the work wasn't perfect. The frame builder to whom I have given the frame says that to bring it back to perfect condition he'll need to replace seat stays, BB, seat tube, down tube.

That's obviously the perfectionist route - we have other options, essentially to replace fewer parts and simply wear it.

However, in the first instance I wanted to try to find all the parts, and then work backwards from there as it were.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Everything is connected

I think that Erik at Winter Bicycles has done some older Serotta steel frame repairs and refinishing.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 AM

That's... quite an undertaking. BB shells and lugs can be custom made with a lugless shell and the proper ID pipe, but it isn't an easy operation. See here:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/08/bike...gged-colossus/

I've never dealt with them, but have heard that Reynolds is willing to make custom tubes in small batches (~10). Maybe someone would be interested in taking a few off of your hands.

This is a money pit, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:13 AM

I think the key to this are the swaged tubes.

Funny story: I bought 5 Serotta swaged tubes, from a closing down sale of a UK frame builder (Roberts) and they are all the wrong size.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Ship of Theseus, this is.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM

If I can get the parts it will be!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Ship of Theseus, this is.
Had to look that one up! Nice.

Are CSI's really that rare?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

The seat tube has been replaced (when I first bought the frame) but the quality of the work wasn't perfect. The frame builder to whom I have given the frame says that to bring it back to perfect condition he'll need to replace seat stays, BB, seat tube, down tube.

That's obviously the perfectionist route - we have other options, essentially to replace fewer parts and simply wear it.

However, in the first instance I wanted to try to find all the parts, and then work backwards from there as it were.
So....do I understand this correctly?.....you want to replace the s-stays, BB shell, seat tube and down tube? If my basic math is correct that will leave only the c-stays and toptube/head tube of the original frame. You'd be replacing the vast majority of the frame and reusing tubes that have already been heated at least twice. With all due respect this makes zero sense. You in effect be building a new frame using mostly new and a few questionable used parts. You'd be so much better off mounting this wonderful bike on the wall and having a new one made with all new stuff and zero compromise.

Just my two cents.

dave
Old 10-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If I can get the parts it will be!
You're not looking for parts, you're looking for like 75% of a frame.

Time to get another frame built to the specs of this one, or just ride as-is.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Randomhead

I'm really curious how a bike needs a new bb shell and doesn't need new chain stays.

I know a lot of builders do repairs for less than they should, but this should definitely cost more than a new frame. And you should be able to find a similar frame and get it shipped to you for less.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 AM

This isn't going to make financial sense, I admit that 100%.

However, as a counterpoint, there are no Serotta CSi for sale on eBay (globally) at the present moment.