Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
?? What are all those fancy features? I've always thought BMW's were lacking in frivolous stuff compared to others. Pretty much just basic cars. Heck, seems like my F-150 Lariat has more "fancy features" than my Bimmer, just sayin'.

Jeremy would be so dissapointed in you. "Now, it would not be fair to say that Jeremy Clarkson loves every car that BMW makes even though it might seem that way as he considers the brand as a godsend and everything they come up with is a gift."
i don't necessarily share my cousins views about specific cars... About bimmers, the last time i looked closely at all the available extras was when they were an option for amy next company car, and i stopped looking when i found out they charged extra for stuff like electric windows or adjustable steering columns in their premium 5-series.
As far as i know, they have features now like electronic handbrakes, auto-dimming right side rear view mirror, gesture control for the dispaly which for some reason requires me to also purchase the park control. It also can have ambient lights supporting 32 mio colour variants, small servo engines that help me shut the door, a car key that knows how much fuel is left, and little speakers that provide customized engine noise to the inhabitants. all vital i understand from the glossy print

My Subi, on the other hand, has a manual parking brake lever, and to dim the rear view mirror, i flip a mechanical switch, both of which will continue to do so regardless what firmware version is loaded. Of the small comforts i enjoy having on my side, the adaptive cruise control, lane assist and emergency braking, or the 4wd, i not only have them, but they are the best available. I even can identify certain parts of the engine under the hood because they are not hidden underneath a plastic "hands off you loser warranty void if removed" cover.

Last edited by martl; 12-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 AM

X drive is a great AWD system and BMW has very few toys...

Whose right?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
X drive is a great AWD system and BMW has very few toys...

Whose right?
Me, i'm a german engineer (Xdrive is a clutch system which has any number of disatvantages over a true AWD with differentials. BMW, being the whiz kids they are, came around a few, not all, of them by using, erm, a lot of complicated toys)

Last edited by martl; 12-10-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Maybe Scotty Kilmer can talk you out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40fKEBwXQ7k
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
"...Maybe Scotty Kilmer can talk you out of it.."
He seems like a funny and genuinely fun guy.
He would be a hoot telling stories at a party.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
He seems like a funny and genuinely fun guy.
He would be a hoot telling stories at a party.
He is really funny indeed
Old 12-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Here is my 2003 Z4. It finally died after 15 years. The transmission blew and the SMG transmission is very complex and expensive. Loved the car. It was a driver's car. The relative lack of suspension would bounce passengers around.

I traded it to my house painter for a paint job and $1100. A good deal for both of us.

IMG_6377 by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 PM

wow Scotty Kilmer is my new hero

and I want to know who supplies his cocaine. cool guy.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Hum

[QUOTE=RFC;2630983]Here is my 2003 Z4. It finally died after 15 years. The transmission blew and the SMG transmission is very complex and expensive. Loved the car. It was a driver's car. The relative lack of suspension would bounce passengers around.

I traded it to my house painter for a paint job and $1100. A good deal for both of us.

IMG_6377 by Robert Copple, on Flickr[/QUOTE

........with a ten foot pole....or ladder..!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Talking

[QUOTE=CDM;2631073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Here is my 2003 Z4. It finally died after 15 years. The transmission blew and the SMG transmission is very complex and expensive. Loved the car. It was a driver's car. The relative lack of suspension would bounce passengers around.

IMG_6377 by Robert Copple, on Flickr[/QUOTE

........with a ten foot pole....or ladder..!
How many miles before it died? Was there required normal servicing on that tranny? I know BMW decided years ago that their regular automatics had "lifetime" fills of transmission fluid from the factory. Of course there were enough premature failures that led to many jokes about how long a "lifetime" they referred to.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:11 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:

didn't know him but he reminds me of that other foulmouthed car guy on youtube from Australia.
he has a point there, in fact, a lot of them. These are cars built for performance at a level that is beyond the skill of 99.8% of the drivers, and illegal in all countries but Germany, the Isle of Man and Burundi, if they were empty of all other people, which they aren't, and freshly paved, which they aren't either. But some people seem to have fun spending 400€ per tire instead of 89,90 because the car in theory can do 200mph i'd call that sucker tax.

Buddy of mine is an engineer in the drivetrain dept of BMW, he says don't get the 335, get the 325... much nicer car, but of course less bragging rights and that's what counts.

Last edited by martl; 12-11-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:36 AM

Wow. What this thread has taught me is that there are at least two things people have passionate opinions about: Rapha and BMW.

9 pages and still going, even after the OP answered his own question.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
didn't know him but he reminds me of that other foulmouthed car guy on youtube from Australia.
he has a point there, in fact, a lot of them. These are cars built for performance at a level that is beyond the skill of 99.8% of the drivers, and illegal in all countries but Germany, the Isle of Man and Burundi, if they were empty of all other people, which they aren't, and freshly paved, which they aren't either. But some people seem to have fun spending 400€ per tire instead of 89,90 because the car in theory can do 200mph i'd call that sucker tax.

Buddy of mine is an engineer in the drivetrain dept of BMW, he says don't get the 335, get the 325... much nicer car, but of course less bragging rights and that's what counts.
So, you ride a Huffy bike right? I mean anything more is just marketing B.S. And your running Kenda tires not Conti or Vittoria or likes right, not paying that sucker tax?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Robb;2631084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
How many miles before it died? Was there required normal servicing on that tranny? I know BMW decided years ago that their regular automatics had "lifetime" fills of transmission fluid from the factory. Of course there were enough premature failures that led to many jokes about how long a "lifetime" they referred to.
We owned a vehicle with "lifetime" transmission fluid. It was a Volvo XC90 AWD. The foreign car guy who serviced it for us told me you could change the fluid if you really wanted to (not literally a sealed transmission), but he had never done it. Told me if it doesn't give you trouble don't worry about it. We put close to 180K on it before trading it for my truck - never any issue with the tranny or shifting. Probably not the same tranny, and could also be a function of how the car is driven.
I have heard of people running them for a long time, say 80K+ miles, and then telling the mechanic to change the fluid, even though they were advised against it. The electronics have compensated for the changes in the fluid over time, and introducing all new fluid forces the computer to "re-learn" how to shift. Some folk had issues with transmissions after a fluid change. At least that's what I'm told.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=Red Tornado;2631233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post

We owned a vehicle with "lifetime" transmission fluid. It was a Volvo XC90 AWD. The foreign car guy who serviced it for us told me you could change the fluid if you really wanted to (not literally a sealed transmission), but he had never done it. Told me if it doesn't give you trouble don't worry about it. We put close to 180K on it before trading it for my truck - never any issue with the tranny or shifting. Probably not the same tranny, and could also be a function of how the car is driven.
I have heard of people running them for a long time, say 80K+ miles, and then telling the mechanic to change the fluid, even though they were advised against it. The electronics have compensated for the changes in the fluid over time, and introducing all new fluid forces the computer to "re-learn" how to shift. Some folk had issues with transmissions after a fluid change. At least that's what I'm told.
This isn't true but I'm not eloquent enough to describe why. Regardless, a transmission should always have the same shift points if operating properly. Lifetime fluid should be changed around 60-80k. at most. lubricity breaks down over time due to temperature. Heat is what kills transmissions. Once fluid has lost lubricity, metal items wear much faster. If you never change your fluid and then suddenly change it at 200k, since you have missed crucial change intervals, your transmission has worn to a point where the increased amount of metal debris suspended in the fluid is keeping you in gear by providing extra friction. That's why you should just leave the old fluid in at that point and just be nice to it. Lifetime fluids are more like 'guaranteed for life' aka the warranty period of the vehicle. because once that's up, you get to pay for a new tranny from the dealer

Last edited by cinema; 12-11-2019 at 09:31 AM.