Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 08-17-2020, 03:24 PM

bikinchris

Purchased Phil Wood BB from bikinchris. Smooth. Transaction and BB.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:13 PM

Great interactions recently with

Ray @rsa and,

Anthony @AJM100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 PM

handlebar tape from Spaghetti Legs and a Selle Italia carbon saddle from proletariandan

Both were fantastic transactions, thanks
Old 08-17-2020, 09:57 PM

kbmack!!!

Perfect goods and fast shipping

Many thanks.

Pics of the project when I'm done.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:39 PM

Super nice transaction with dumbod... thanks bud!!!
Old 08-21-2020, 05:46 PM

Good experience with denapista recently- he hooked me up with some nice MTB wheels and I responded in kind with some DA shifters. Easy to work with and quick to ship.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Couple good transactions recently--

Chorus cassette from saab2000--may have missed this. Good value.

Nice Vittoria 25s from Jeff Weir

Nice Assos jersey from booglebug--already in the rotation!

Set of shifters from pmarkos-
As described and fast shipping, and yes I was able to revive them. Waiting for a quiet day to swap onto my bike;

Set of bars from Clean39T-
Fast shipping, great packaging

Thanks all!

Last edited by paredown; 08-23-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:16 PM

Seller whose standards have dropped

Out of all the Paceline buyers and sellers with whom I interacted, Superfish is perhaps the one with the worst communication etiquette (and perhaps the most dubious negotiation tactics).

He started a thread here nine months ago, seeking to sell his frameset and bike box for $2200 total. I saw the ad a few days ago and contacted him, and all I got was crickets (even though he definitely logged on and saw the message that same day). By chance, the next day, I saw he is posting the same bike for sale on craigslist and reached out. This time, perhaps thinking I may be local, he responded, within ten minutes, no less, whereas my PM to him had been unanswered for 19 hours by this point. He said the bike is available but that he's reluctant to ship and would prefer a local transaction. I told him I'm not concerned about slow shipping, and was able to persuade him to ship the bike (at my cost).

His ad (here and CL) also never said that the price is firm and that there is no room for negotiation. Had he done so, I wouldn't have asked for a lower price. So when I proposed $150 less than asking, it was again crickets with no response. He could have responded, and I would have accepted his position, but instead I had to reach out again the next day to get him to respond.

I basically agreed to all of his original terms on the ad (including that I would pay for shipping and paypal fees); however there was an error in his ad description. He stated (here and CL) that the BB was Chris King, whereas he admitted that the frame currently has Dura Ace BB and offered two used headset spacers as compensation. Although I'm not a fan of CK BBs, the fact is that the value of used CK BB is about $50 more than value of used DA BB. Furthermore, I have no need for the spacers. At this stage of the negotiation, it remained the only issue unresolved (I have agreed to all of his other pricing requests), and this particular issue was expressly due to his own negligence. For this, I offered him $50 less than the listing price but agreed to all of his other requests.

He could have counter-offered; told me his offer is final; or told me that others may be interested as well and that while he erred, the perceived value of his product has risen and that I should understand if I don't agree to his valuation, I'm essentially passing up on closing the deal. Instead, he responded with none of the above (or any of the various things he could have responded). He again waited hours before responding, and when he did, he said he sold it to someone else who accepted the sale on his terms. In effect, he found someone else who was willing to overlook his mistakes.

In the context of society at large, I understand that his behavior is completely acceptable. After all, similar stories re: errors and defects are abound in hot housing markets (albeit on a much higher monetary scale). Who knows, he might even have played my offer off of the other buyer to get the other buyer to pay up sooner. But then again, if Paceline is to be a community and more than a mere place where one offloads one's unwanted wares, then one ought to hold oneself to a slightly higher standard, at least when it comes to communication. At the very least, he utilized paceline to drum up his sales but otherwise resorted the standard repertoire of underhanded craigslist tactics. I would never have followed up on his initial email otherwise, and the only reason I did was because I knew he was open to shipping, as evidenced by his initial for sale thread on paceline.

Perhaps, then, it ought to be expected. After all, since late 2012, all of his posts here are in the classified section. Upthread, other forumites commended him as a no-nonsense seller (see below, emphases added). It was partly based on this that I choose to engage him in the first place. Unfortunately, it would appear that we all change with time, some in manners worse than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
Bought a Brooks Swift from Superfish. Straight paypal, no "gifting" silliness, the saddle was here in a blink and is gorgeous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
superfish - great seller, provided great descriptions and quick followup on questions. Communication and transaction all very fast, totally recommend as a seller and would not hesitate to deal with again.
Or perhaps he just read too much Oscar Wilde and took the following to heart (emphasis added). After all, what does good reputation do, if it can't net you $50?

Quote:
One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.

Last edited by echappist; 08-24-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:17 PM

positive feedback for AllesWirdGut

Bought a high zoot pack from AllesWirdGut and it was just as described. Shipped priority with signature confirmation, too!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

Quote:
One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.
Or perhaps he just read too much Oscar Wilde and took the following to heart (emphasis added). After all, what does good reputation do, if it can't net you $50?
Looks like there is an retraction to be made.

After all, it took merely ~15 minutes from being apprised that I wrote a negative review of him for him to come over to Paceline and read what I wrote. I sent him an email ~8:50 AM, and he's reading about the review at 9:04 AM (both times CDT). In contrast, he left my original PM unanswered for 19 hours and took 17 hours to tell me he sold the frameset to someone else. It appears that user superfish does care about his reputation, and I apologize for making an unfounded accusation.

It appears that one can expect user superfish to be prompt, but only if it favors him or when it affects something that matters to him.

Too bad, then, that he traded his reputation for $50. Can't have one's cake and eat it, too. But $50 does buy one a lot of cake, even on the mean streets of New York City.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg He_does_care_edit.jpg (87.4 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by echappist; 08-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:18 PM

Oldpotatoe

Smooth transaction, as expected, with Oldpotatoe (Peter) on a jersey.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:34 PM

Great transactions with:

okayku (buyer)
Clancy (seller)
.RJ (buyer)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:22 PM

Great transactions with:
  • clyde the point (bought Whisky Fork)
  • WNC rider (bought XO2)
  • Oldpotatoe (rebuilt shifters of mine)
Old 08-26-2020, 08:43 AM
Everything is connected

Nice dealing with jkbrwn, vonruden and the illustrious, often imitated, never equaled, handsome as Sean Connery, Dave Thompson.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:13 AM

roguedog A++

I sold a seat post to roguedog. After some haggling he paid promptly. Recommend!

thank you.